DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 433 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since these things look like they are going to be hitting super affordable prices and very little knowledge seems to be out there, I figure I'll post some stuff on it. (Plus gets me an entry in the raffle since any driver review by my rusty ears of doom would help no one! :) )

Anyways, just got this in today so this first post in just some initial information. Hopefully will be followed up with some hands-on notes in a few days.

Please excuse the pics....my audio hobby has left me little funds to replace my aging Nikon 2mp camera..... :cool:

Just for the record, this is one from Ikesound.com and yes, it was on ~$160 shipped. Its definately new in box. All new hardware, no signs of use on anything, no refrub stickers or scratched off S/N's.

Very nice looking pieces. Processor unit is probably about 6" x 4". The controller is 1/2 din, probably an inch deep so no velcroing this one on. Pieces are stamped, made in korea.

Won't know how readable the display is until I power it on and hit the sunlight, but hopefully, this will be a set and leave it alone. Buttons are large enough and well laid out. Only issue I don't like is one of the buttons is a disgusied rubber cap for the usb port. Not sure how long that will stay around before tearing off or discoloring. I'd probably like the port on the processor more than the controller but they didn't ask!

The processor has 3 sets of inputs, 3 sets of outputs and standard power block and controller port. Labeled for front, rear and sub. Although intersting enough, you can change those designations so front in doesn't go to front out.

Flipping through the manual, so things I like about the unit:
- low, bandpass, mid are all adjustable from 20hz to 20khz
- selectable slopes 6, 12, 18, 24 as well as selectable filters (butterworth or L-R)
- time alignment on each channel
- gain on each channel
- volume on each channel
- Q variable 0.1-9.0 (honestly, no idea what this does...but will definately play around with it)

Items I don't like about it:
- manual sucks! Its like 10 pages and barely describes any of the functions. Complete contrast to the Pioneer manuals for say the 860 I had which was a book that described not only functions but some theory behind them
- phase switch on each channel
- usb port on the front (which from reading the manual, probably has no support options yet)

Items I'm unsure about:
- don't know if you can drive all 6 outputs for one set of inputs? Manual never mentions this. If not, I'm going to have a mess of splitters.
- 7-band parametric eq. Not sure how well I'll like this. I've always used graphic eqs so this will be different.
- not sure how easy the menu will be to navigate
- not sure if crossovers will force the hp/lp for the drivers to be the same point of it you can over/under lap the ranges

These questions and more, I'm going to try to dive into over the next few days/weeks. But overall, I'd have to say this is the best new item I've bought for $160.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm very interested in your findings, especially for the price. You can't be a 3-way active xover with TA and EQ thrown in for good measure for that price. It's a steal.

·
Registered
287 Posts
i ordered one...
i hope i get it somewhat soon...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Amazing price! I ordered one and await your review. Does it have a line driver? I use an Audiocontrol HPX (similar to Three.1) for that now and it would be nice to put everything in one box.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
My two cents... just from looking at the features list.

This unit is considerably better Imo feature wise than the h701, especially if you are using a stereo setup.

1. The eq is 7 band per channel, with q adjustments from 1 to 9, and level adjust from +/-18db. You also don't have the h701 limitations with setting points too close to each other, AND you have the option for high/low shelving filters. Imho this is far, far better than Alpine's parametric eq in terms of response shaping flexibility.
2. Higher pre-out voltage
3. re-rerouting inputs/outputs
4. crossover type select butterworth/l-r

There are a few unknown here's though... such as reliability and noise. But the Alpine isn't exactly a champ here either. Look forward to hearing more feedback.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
npdang said:
My two cents... just from looking at the features list.

This unit is considerably better Imo feature wise than the h701, especially if you are using a stereo setup.

1. The eq is 7 band per channel, with q adjustments from 1 to 9, and level adjust from +/-18db. You also don't have the h701 limitations with setting points too close to each other, AND you have the option for high/low shelving filters. Imho this is far, far better than Alpine's parametric eq in terms of response shaping flexibility.
2. Higher pre-out voltage
3. re-rerouting inputs/outputs
4. crossover type select butterworth/l-r

There are a few unknown here's though... such as reliability and noise. But the Alpine isn't exactly a champ here either. Look forward to hearing more feedback.
Oh No!!!!!!! :eek: The Alpine goons are gonna come get you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow I didnt know anything about this processor. It sounds very intersting. Ive been looking at an audio control piece but thats a lot more. I also just happen to have a 1/2 din slot open. 7 bands per channel should be more then enough esp with a peq. Can it do phase on each channel or anything?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Great post! Looking forward to reading your performance and listening impressions.

Too bad this processor doesn't have any digital inputs. It seems like such a waste to have the signal go through D/A, then A/D, and finally back through D/A once again.

·
Registered
287 Posts
effenay said:
Great post! Looking forward to reading your performance and listening impressions.

Too bad this processor doesn't have any digital inputs. It seems like such a waste to have the signal go through D/A, then A/D, and finally back through D/A once again.
is that how much credit you give us?

im sure it wouldn't be too hard to bypass the input stage for total goodness

·
Registered
318 Posts
crash813 said:
Items I don't like about it:
- manual sucks! Its like 10 pages and barely describes any of the functions. Complete contrast to the Pioneer manuals for say the 860 I had which was a book that described not only functions but some theory behind them
- phase switch on each channel
- usb port on the front (which from reading the manual, probably has no support options yet)
so are you saying it HAS phase switch on each channel or DOESNT? :confused:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oops, sorry...gotta reread what I type.

It doesn't have the ability to switch the phase. I'm really disappointed in that. Would of made tuning much easier.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So maybe I'll have to keep my PSC-221's after all.

That makes it Sony HU -> AudioControl HPX -> DCX-730 -> PPI PSC-221's for highs and mids each.

Hmmm... I'm going to stick to the KISS principle and cut out everything 'cep the DCX if I decide to use it for this install. I had an interview last week so maybe I'll be in the running for a new ride if I get the job ($$$) and then I'll start this whole ordeal all over again. I feel like I've been in the garage for a month straight!

·
Registered
318 Posts
crash813 said:
Oops, sorry...gotta reread what I type.

It doesn't have the ability to switch the phase. I'm really disappointed in that. Would of made tuning much easier.
that really sucks! oh well you cant complain too much since it can do pretty much anything else for a price point that is unheard of.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ordered one :) ... can't wait until i get my hands on it....

Amazing price for what it can do compare to H700 (if you are not going digital/opt input)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
dakine said:
oh yea the alto mobile drive 30 is the best too. absolutely no noise or popping, awsome software and easy to use.
Have you seen alto mobile's forum on drive 30? So many issues and complaints
I had 7 of them. all crapped. npdang had his share also.
But maybe you got the newest version. :)
For me, I am not gonna touch alto ever again.

I agree on H700. My favorite processor of all time.
I had 3 H900, all had noise/pop/issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey eng its chris. I was being sarcastic. heh. The alto is a pos. When I get my PPI unit I am going take a sledge hammer to my alto.

1 - 20 of 433 Posts