DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's got 4 gauge running from the battery of my Honda Civic, and 4 ga. to the chassis from the battery. I've got the rear channels bridged running two JL 10W0's, and it gets egg-frying hot even with the back seat forward (it's mounted on the back). Is this normal? The front two channels are doing 50W each to Diamond Audio Motorsport components. The alternator is fine and so is the battery. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I would guess you are running the amp very hard. Pretty easy to do with only 300 watts on tap running the whole system.

My old Art series amps could get pretty hot too, but they never shut down or anything weird.

Not having a normal type heat sink is going to make the whole chassis hot. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it thermally cycles on and off.

You may even consider getting a larger mono amp for the subs and bridging that amp to the Diamonds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would guess you are running the amp very hard. Pretty easy to do with only 300 watts on tap running the whole system.

My old Art series amps could get pretty hot too, but they never shut down or anything weird.

Not having a normal type heat sink is going to make the whole chassis hot. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it thermally cycles on and off.

You may even consider getting a larger mono amp for the subs and bridging that amp to the Diamonds.
^^This^^

That sounds like the plan...

·
Registered
524 Posts
check that the subs aren't the 4ohm models (because you'd be running the bridged channels at 2 ohms mono). now that would make your amp run hot! jps

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check that the subs aren't the 4ohm models (because you'd be running the bridged channels at 2 ohms mono). now that would make your amp run hot! jps
That's a good idea. I've been wanting to rewire it 12 ga anyways.

Also, NO, the vents are clear. Even with the seat back, and the amp's top up against the powerwedge box, the vents can do their thing. It takes about 2 hours of pounding in the summer on a road trip for the thermal circuit to come on in that scenario.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts