DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PPI X3 right now and I've seen the Clarion MCD360 go for a good price lately. I was wondering if I should just keep my PPI X3 or go with the Clarion. Here's some specs :

PPI X3

Freq. Resp.: 1.5Hz-20kHz
S/N Ratio: 102dB
Supply Voltage: 10V-15V
THD: >01%
Maximum Output: >4V rms
Subwoofer: 30Hz-800Hz
X-over slope: 12dB/ octave Butterworth
F/R Highpass: 50Hz - 800Hz (x10)
RSLC: Up to + 12dB

Clarion MCD360

Features
2, 4, or 6-Channel Input
6-Channel Output
18 dB / Octave Crossover Slopes
Independent Front / Rear High-Pass Frequencies
High-Pass Frequency Multiplier
Variable Bass Boost
Switchable Sub Output Phase
Wired Remote Sub Level Control
Terminal Type Power Connectors and Power LED
Specifications
Front High-Pass Crossover: 32-8,000 Hz
Rear High-Pass Crossover: 32-400 Hz
Sub Low-Pass Crossover: 45-250 Hz
Crossover Slopes: 18 dB / octave
Sub Bass Boost Frequency: 25-100 Hz
Sub Bass Boost Level: 0-18 dB
Signal-To-Noise Ratio (S/N): 100 dB
Frequency Response: 10-50,000 Hz

I'm leaning towards the Clarion due to the 18dB Xover slope.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Ryan

·
Registered
530 Posts
in the past ive spent more than my share of cash on new active and passive x-overs,until i purchased my older alpine and now my eclipse ,with the proc. power to do 3 way with bp for the mid-with sel. 6-12-18-24 db slopes with adj volume for each output is awsome-all from the drivers seat-sonically you cant beat the new higher end decks with the x-over features and cost is very reasonable for the flexability i know this doesnt answer your q for that i appologize i wouldnt spend extra cash on the extra 6db decrease per octave,unless you need the extra flex. of the clarion,fixed steeper slopes are not always better sounding,

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I can't go with the Xover in the Head Unit's because I use an Audiocontrol Four.1 EQ. I don't like head unit EQ's due to not being able to quickly adjust a knob without going through a menu everytime. Every CD I listen to I need to change the EQ (usally just the 125Hz band) so it's a must have for me IMO. I don't know if newer head units have a Tape Monitor loop (like some Home Recievers do) for an external EQ and still be able to use inboard active Xover on the head unit. But basically I'm wondering if I'll get better and cleaner sound from a steeper Xover slope.

Thanks though,

Ryan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts