DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

PPIs new PC 65C3 3 way Components just came in

171K views 717 replies 115 participants last post by  Detune 
#1 ·
Just to let everyone know, these won't actually be out till around the first to mid Feb. they sent me the 2 pair they had a CES. I haven't gotten them installed but I will try to get a set playing in my wife's car this weekend. Here is some pics tho.

See less See more
#3 ·
The mid bass has a cast basket and a smaller phase plug than the last gen. It also has spring terminals for the speaker wires. The mid has a stamped steel basket and standard terminals. Both have removable grills

The tweeter is the pride of the system. It is an AMT (air motion transformer). These are used in high end home systems but have never been used in car audio. They will play up to 40k which I know you can not hear with the human ear but it is said to cause the system to sound more accurate in the fact that in real music there are frequencies above 20k, even tho you can't heat them they give depth and with. Something you can not so much hear as sense.
Can't wait to get them playing. Ryan at PPI is convinced they are the best components on the market. And I think the price will be around 500.00 or less

#4 ·
While I certainly don't buy in to much of their marketing nonsense, I am interested to hear peoples thoughts on these once they've had a chance to give them a good listen. I look forward to seeing what you think after you get them installed.

#5 ·
I'd be curious to hear the midrange on this set. I was about to pull the trigger on the PC3.65 set based on the midrange alone. I hope this new set is an all around great performer and not just a good tweeter. Looks like a high end set though, those cones look very nice.

#8 ·
it's not my call, but I would rather pay 515 bucks for the addition of cast frame midranges over the 500 on stamped steel, but that's just me.

otherwise, these look nice.

I don't know about that ring of what looks like plastic covering the space where the voice coil former attaches to the cone, as being of any benefit other than enhanced aesthetics, but I am pretty sure you could fudge up a speaker with the wrong filler material.

maybe it's butyl, and acts to actually damp something in the former/cone junction but if it's a cosmetic addition that contributes nothing to the sound...

dammit, why do I gotta go and get all pessimistic on these things...

they look good, they got a good company name on 'em and I'm sure people will dig on that punchy tweeter.

#18 ·
OK got the set for my wife's car installed, still have to play with the mids to get them mounted correctly and get the moles plugs on the tweets.

All I can say is holy crap these are smooth. The highs are crisp. I thought the mids were slightly lacking but we had turned them down on the HU for the old ones. So much smoother than the last generation of PPI 3ways. I am still on the old tune and can't wait to here them when properly tuned. I can tell I need to change the cover points between the mid bass and mids.

#20 ·
It fit perfectly where the old tweeter was. Your right, it looked huge. I kept thinking I was going to have to enlarge the hole but it's the same size and their older one.

Tweeter
5/8" depth (wiring comes out the back so you gave to account for that to)
1 7/8" cutout

Mid
Depth 1 13/16"
Cutout 2 9/16"
Outside dia without grill 3 1/2"
With grill 3 11/16"

Mid bass
Depth 3"
Cutout appx 5 9/16"
Outside Dia without grill appx 6 1/2"
Outside dia with grill appx 6 5/8"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.