DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I asked this question in Bikinpunk's for sale thread but it was off topic and in the wrong section. So I came here and searched, but to no avail.

Here is what I want to know. I have used T-nuts in the past and they suck. It was hard to get them to seat fully and they would back out too. So what I'm wondering is.... Are hurricane nuts or the knife edged threaded inserts better? I know that either one of them will be an improvement over T-nuts, but I'd just as soon buy the better of the two and just stick with them. Thanks in advance everyone.

Zach

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
How are you installing the t-nuts? I usually use a bolt and fender washer to pull it through by tightening it, as opposed to hammering it through.

I've had great success with the deluxe 6 prong from PE. The long neck always align properly for me.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=081-1088

I haven't heard anyone having success with hurricane nuts..dono if they are installing it right however.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Zach,
Here's an old post I remember making a LONG time ago...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52741&postcount=17

That thread also has some good info in it.

I think each fastener has its pluses and minuses. For large driver mounting, I still use T-nuts and hurricane nuts often in conjunction with epoxy or JB Weld to hold them in tight. I also use a large C-clamp to install them properly and haven't had problems with them coming out. Everyone has an opinion though so what one person likes another may not. Look at your application, and try to pick the best for your particular use. GL.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is a dumb question I think but oh well....

I bought some of those threaded inserts for my sub box. When I install them, am I screwing them in from the inside or outside? I assumed I was installing them from the outside.... I got the .5 inch inserts and will be using 3/4 inch mdf...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts