DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here is the port I want to use:

How much of it is usable? It is 18" long with the flares installed on both sides. There is about 16" of straight port and then about 1" of flare on each side... so 2" total of flare. How much counts towards the tuning of the port? Do you understand what I mean? I know the flares don't count as inches for length of the port right? Thanks guys! If you don't understand let me know and I will try to explain. I am thinking its 16" thats usable port length but correct me if I am wrong!

· Registered
11,369 Posts
I think full extension yields a 17" overall port length. When i use flared ports, i add 50% of the flare length to the straight part of the port.

You can cut it with a hand saw and then sand it smooth.

· Registered
11,369 Posts
So if I want to use 12" for the tuning of my box how long should the total port be with flares? Do you understand what I mean?
I do. If it were me, the overall tip to tip of the entire port would require measuring the depth of 1 of the flared pieces, lets say its 3". In that case i would make the overall tip to tip a total of 15" long. And when cutting the main tube you need to take into account the overlap when you assemble it.

By only measuring 1 of the 2 flares you are in effect counting 1/2 of each.

· Registered
11,369 Posts
What about where the rings meet the flare does that count as part of the 12" I am looking for?
Thats what i meant about the overlap. Count it on the flared piece, but then account for it when you cut the straight piece. Meaning your straight piece will be a little longer to compensate for the overlap.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so I will cut it down to make it 13" total length.

Does this website mean 2 flared ports or 1? I want my box at 2.15cuft tuned at 33hz, 4 inch port, and 1 port total for the website then it says total length of port 12.5". I just found this website just now. Does it mean both sides are flared or just 1?

· Registered
11,369 Posts
You said both flares are 1" deep. Do you not have them in hand to verify both are flared and both match?

· Registered
11,369 Posts
Yes theyre both flared but on the website do they mean one flared port or both flared ends after you fill in the info:

(go to products menu)

volume of box: 2.15ft3
tuning freq: 33hz
port diam: 4"
number of ports: 1
Equals a flared port at both ends? 12.5"
Yes it is taking into account both ends being flared. But it is also saying that he flare is 3" which is what i was thinking it was too. But you said 1".

It is saying take into account BOTH 3" flared pieces when it comes to total overall length. But most people would ignore that and only take into consideration 1 of the flares. Meaning I would cut the main tube 3" shorter than the suggested port length. Not the 6" they suggest.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.