DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if these amps have the same guts? They're oddly too similar. Specs are pretty much the same for a given model.

Look at the pictures of the Phantoms:
Picture 3 of 8 for Precision Power P900.4

vs. the pics of the Polk D series:
Picture 3 of 8 for Polk Audio PA D4000.4 (PAD4000.4)

It looks like they have identical bass boost knobs and the x-over/gain adjustments make it look like they have the same board just flipped over. Same font, same locations for everything. The Polk does have the LEDs on the top of the heatsink vs. the Phantom on the end. The electrical and RCA connections look identical on the other end just inverted and made of different color plastics.

The only problem is that nobody really sells the 5 channel Phantom equivalent of the D5000.5 yet.

This seems to be the only place on the internet with the P900.5 listed:

Precision Power P900.5 Phantom 70 x 4 + 270 x 1 @ 4 Ohms Compact 5-Channel Class D Amplifier 6.5x11.5x2

Price doesn't seem quite as good as it could be though. The 4 channel Phantom is about $110 cheaper than the Polk 4 channel so I'd expect to see the P900.5 at around $260 (Since the Polk 5 ch can be had for $370)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Until the P900.5 is announced as a shipping product, no retailer, either online or in a brick and mortar store, has any of those for sale. Look up Grizz Archer on this forum and read his thread about the Phantom and Black Ice PPI amps.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Does anybody know if these amps have the same guts? They're oddly too similar. Specs are pretty much the same for a given model.

Look at the pictures of the Phantoms:
Picture 3 of 8 for Precision Power P900.4

vs. the pics of the Polk D series:
Picture 3 of 8 for Polk Audio PA D4000.4 (PAD4000.4)

It looks like they have identical bass boost knobs and the x-over/gain adjustments make it look like they have the same board just flipped over. Same font, same locations for everything. The Polk does have the LEDs on the top of the heatsink vs. the Phantom on the end. The electrical and RCA connections look identical on the other end just inverted and made of different color plastics.

This theory is so ODD. They look NOTHING like each other. The button's look the same? Puhlese. Even crossover frequecy labels look different. Check the pictures again. Other than black color, and the placement of controls that's common for most amplifiers in this class, there are too many differences. They also _benchmark_ quite differently. I believe there exist THD vs frequency plots for both. Absolutely NO resemblance.

The only problem is that nobody really sells the 5 channel Phantom equivalent of the D5000.5 yet.

This seems to be the only place on the internet with the P900.5 listed:

Precision Power P900.5 Phantom 70 x 4 + 270 x 1 @ 4 Ohms Compact 5-Channel Class D Amplifier 6.5x11.5x2

Price doesn't seem quite as good as it could be though. The 4 channel Phantom is about $110 cheaper than the Polk 4 channel so I'd expect to see the P900.5 at around $260 (Since the Polk 5 ch can be had for $370)

The $299.95 price in the URL is only $40, a price of a nice restaurant dinner, higher than your "magic number". Hardly worth the wait or the time spent comparing different amps IMO, if you really want that amplifier..

I personally would have bought the Kenwood XR-5S or Kenwood XR-4S to drive the front speakers because both promise to be a bit cleaner than the Phantom or Polk amps based on 3rd party test. Actually, if you can fit a class A/B amplifier, the Precision Power PPI PC740.5 is supposed to be excellent in pretty much every respect (except power output relatively to the above Class D amplifiers). A Russian site benched and compared it to a bunch of other amplifiers (Alpine MRX, Audison, etc) and gave this amp the highest mark. Regarding the Phantom, I wasn't comfortable with the channel separation spec posted on the PPI Phantom thread. Having said that, I bought myself a P900.4, but that's for driving my rear speakers and subwoofer.

·
Registered
840 Posts
there are a bunch of other amps that are very close to the two you mentioned. hertz hdp, phoenix gold makes one. powerbass has one
all are very similar

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look up Grizz Archer on this forum and read his thread about the Phantom and Black Ice PPI amps.
Ok, it took a while but I dug through it and found where he addressed the similarities between the Polk and PPI amps:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/1478119-post419.html

Apparently they are based on the same board:
The board itself, while many people think it may have been exclusive to Polk, is not. The board, as I understand was originally developed for Nakamichi.
But who knows beyond that whether that means they perform the same? Probably pretty similar to the average ear such as my own.
In summation, back to your question... Are hey identical. I cannot confirm that as I have never looked at the Polk. But my guess is that the PPI, Polk and Nakamichi will all vary, with somethings similar due to the board and something things different due to quality and tolerance of parts...
It might be worth the little bit extra for the Polk 5 ch 1) since it's currently available
and 2) since I'm putting it in a boat and it's explicitly labeled as "Marine Certified" while the PPI is not.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Looking at the pictures posted, the Polk amplifier has the frequency multiplier switch. The PPI does not. This alone shows they're not quite the same thing. Things like the actual buttons could easily come from the same parts bin and be shared by many many products. There was also an short discussion on the PPI Phantom thread about the Polk's Frequency vs THD graph which did appear somewhat "less clean". Whether such artifacts could arise from the production variance in the final product or something else, or whether that will make any difference at all, I don't know. The power output measured in the Pasmag magazine test does appear to be very similar for both amplifiers, so I guess it's conceivable that they could share some internal boards etc, but I would never tell that by looking at the external terminals and switches. If that's the case, the PPI does seem like a better value than Polk. Sonicelectronix sells PPI P900.4 for $230 shipped, but the Polk Audio D4000.4 is $349 right now. Can't wait for my P900.4 to arrive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at the pictures posted, the Polk amplifier has the frequency multiplier switch. The PPI does not.
They both look like they have the same frequency multiplier switches to me. When I attached my pics the quality and size got reduced. Go check the ones at SonicElectronics and you'll see them on both.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Its probably the same board with different parts on it. I made a thread like this about a $7k Critical Mass amp and a Massive Audio amp...lots of companies do this it seems......

·
Registered
399 Posts
Need to see guts but i'm pretty sure they are the same amps.
I mean really - who else uses 35 and 40 amp fuses??? That doesn't seem odd to anyone?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts