DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be doing some audio work on my dad's car, likely after the winter. I have a Helix Dark Blue 5 that I gave him for his car, but I'm realizing that I eventually would probably get another one for my vehicle, and I'm thinking that given its size, it might not be the easiest amp to install in his Taurus. With that in mind, I've been looking at amplifiers that I could get cheap, that I hope would be adequate for the job, and (I'll take measurements first) hopefully could just be installed in the trunk, on the back of the rear seats.

So, what are peoples' thoughts on Precision Power? These amps would not likely be driven near their rated power levels (100w x4 @4ohms and 1000w x1 @2ohms - all ratings in this post are RMS), but is there any reason I should steer clear of these amps, or should they do the job? For reference, the DB 5 is rated at 4x75 and 1x550 at the resistances the car will be wired at, and has previously been used in that configuration, and was definitely more than adequate for levels my dad's car will be listened to.

I am also considering a Soundstream AR.1200D that is rated at 120wx4 @4ohms. Any thoughts would definitely be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,176 Posts
I'm personally not a fan of Epsilon (Precision Power, Soundstream, Power Acoustik, etc) and their business practices. Though the Soundstream competition team are great guys.

At bottom of the barrel budget prices, I would probably look at the Boss Armor or Hifonics Brutus lines if you feel like you need amps with that much power.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
There really isn’t anything wrong with the amps your looking at. They make power
and frankly without a scope and measuring devices most people will never be able to detect a difference. Dependability may be the real question but at a certain price point you just go for it.

just realize that some manufacturers use the crazy math my kids were taught in school to come up with numbers that get people’s attention. Once you get beyond that you have an idea of what it can do. But “most” amps are not dirty/distorted power. I remember in the past people would get into pissing matches over .05 vs .08 distortion ratings. This was between the original precision power, sound stream, linear power amps, and Rockford.
they are not the chosen brands around here but if you search there are a lot of discussions both positive and negative.
you might be surprised

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm hoping the math on these amps isn't TOO crazy, but I like the idea of head room in the event that there's a little (lot?) overrating going on. I quite like the Helix amp I have, and think it would be perfect - except I don't have any experience in doing anything other than mounting amps directly to seats, and this thing is quite large, to the point where it would likely have to be mounted to both seats, not allowing one seat to fold down and one stay up (in the event of needing to do so when putting something extra long in the trunk).

I still need to run the idea by my dad and see what he wants to do. I might try and hold off, and poke around in the car more when it's warmer, and see if I can figure out a way to mount it that I feel competent enough to do.

As for the Precision Power amps... I know they aren't Mosconis or Audisons or Focals or Gladens... but as long as they put out a reasonable amount of power, and aren't likely to fail under normal use, that would be entirely acceptable. I barely got my dad talked into letting me do his car audio as it is, and he already thinks I've spent too much on him, so I need to reign it in a little ?

If I DID try to mount the amp, perhaps on the side of the trunk wall - is there a good way for me to know where I can get away with putting mounting bolts? I'd hate to suddenly realize I put a bolt through his body panel! Or, I've considered maybe using a board of MDF to mount the amp to, and then finding a solid couple of mount points to secure the MDF to the car? I feel like I'm way out of my element in that area.

·
Premium Member
9,176 Posts
Reading your subsequent replies tells me that you might be better off selecting a more compact pair of amplifiers. It will likely cost you a bit more, ok... not likely... it will cost you more. But we aren't talking about "Mosconi, Audison, Focal and Gladen" money. There is a WHOLE LOT of real estate between the TRAX amps you are talking about an the offerings from those European companies.

Better yet, since you have stated that you don't really NEED the claimed RMS output of the TRAX amps, I would be looking at a compact 5 channel amplifier with decent sub output for your needs. This would simplify the install for you and your dad, and likely make it easier to find a spot to tuck the amp away out of sight. Take a look at the NVX VAD11005 and Pioneer GM-D9705. Both of these should make plenty of power for your needs and these 5 channel amps have a smaller footprint and shallower depth than even one of the amps you were looking at in the TRAX line. Either one of these can be had for less than $250. If you buy from Sonic Electronix, you can also save a few bucks using my discount code "hutsell".

NVX VAD11005
Pioneer GM-D9705

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reading your subsequent replies tells me that you might be better off selecting a more compact pair of amplifiers. It will likely cost you a bit more, ok... not likely... it will cost you more. But we aren't talking about "Mosconi, Audison, Focal and Gladen" money. There is a WHOLE LOT of real estate between the TRAX amps you are talking about an the offerings from those European companies.

Better yet, since you have stated that you don't really NEED the claimed RMS output of the TRAX amps, I would be looking at a compact 5 channel amplifier with decent sub output for your needs. This would simplify the install for you and your dad, and likely make it easier to find a spot to tuck the amp away out of sight. Take a look at the NVX VAD11005 and Pioneer GM-D9705. Both of these should make plenty of power for your needs and these 5 channel amps have a smaller footprint and shallower depth than even one of the amps you were looking at in the TRAX line. Either one of these can be had for less than $250. If you buy from Sonic Electronix, you can also save a few bucks using my discount code "hutsell".

NVX VAD11005
Pioneer GM-D9705
Thanks for the response! I talked with my dad, and he is probably going to just have me install the Helix to the pair of rear seats, and have them both need to fold at the same time - I don't think I can likely convince him otherwise, but if he changes his mind, both of those amps you listed look like they would definitely fit the bill. That helps a lot, thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts