DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been dragging my feet on building a custom fiberglass box for my 12" Alpine Type R shallow sub for a few years now. I tried the Soundstream 13BX and it sounded terrible since it wasn't vented. This cab has a horrible midbass hump and no cabin gain. I had it powered by a Zapco Studio 500. I have been looking at "cough, cough" kicker's truck box offerings with the passive radiator. I don't have the time to dedicate to this so maybe for the short term a prefab box would suffice in the meantime. I have always been interested in Alpine's PLT-5 system as well. Finding one locally would prove difficult though. I just want some bass to round out the tunes for now. The Soundstream is pretty much the size depth wise that I can fit so extreme shallow only. Ideas welcome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What did you not like about the Soundstream? "Horrible because it's not vented" does not describe a problem. Given the same power, a vented sub will have more output in a particular frequency range than a sealed sub at the expense of a generally larger enclosure and less low end extension. If you just want "some bass to round out the tunes for now" it sounds like the 13BX is the right thing until you move to a custom box.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid of that. I tried two sealed enclosures, another was my Phoenix Gold Xmax 12 and had a similar result. It was in an old Qlogic box. I guess I will just have to make time for a quality result. I sold the Soundstream last year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts