DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is in the right section. I called a local shop to ask for a quote to build a sealed wedge style enclosure for a 10w7. I was met with the answer of "a few hundred bucks." After I asked what that meant, I was told around $300. Does this sound right?

I have the know how just not a table saw available. But for $300 bucks, I can pick up the wood and a half way decent table saw to get the job done.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I guess it depends on the area you're in but, seems steep to me for a single sub sealed enclosure. I paid around $250 for a dual 12" ported at one point.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im in New Jersey, 15 minutes out of Philly. If the guy would have told me $150, I would have paid it happily. But $300? Its not like they have to design a ported enclosure or a fiberglass enclosure. Hell, I've already designed the box.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I agree. I've heard prices like that but, it was typically for multiple subs, designed, fiberglass. It sounds like these guys just don't want to do it.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
you have to look at the big picture when buying something from a shop. there are many things that add to the cost to build a box - rent, utilities, salary, wood, glue, carpet, terminal, wire, table saw, router/jig saw, nails, time, labor, etc etc. all those items are factored into the cost, that's why it is more than you thought.

pick up a used circular saw on cl, some wood/glue/nails at lowes and go to town.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Depending on how complicated it is, you could probably get somebody at Lowe's or Home Depot to cut all the wood on a panel saw for you. Seriously, go during a non-peak time and toss him $20 for his trouble. Every cut past the first 2 is like a quarter or something cheap. Wood, glue, nails, carpet...and tip :)...and you're out less than $100 I bet.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Look up local cabinet makers. a lot of times they can CNC you a box quick. At the very least they can cut the pieces for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can always get Lowes or Home Depot to cut the wood down to an acceptable size for fitting in the car and do the finishing cuts at home. Far cheaper and more fun when you build it yourself.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You should just get a schematic and have a 3rd party cut the pieces for you. You can assemble it yourself.

Although REALLY!? $300 for a sealed enclosure, there is a total of 2 factors that shape sealed, Qtc and QL. A monkey can design and build a sealed enclosure. That's outrageous that they would charge that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I usually charge around 70-100 bucks for an unfinished MDF enclosure like that...shipping usually runs 30ish for something that size....so 300 seems pretty dang high... especially for a single 10 inch driver.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I sounds like they didn't want to do it. I love doing boxes, but the month of December we are so busy doing remote starters that building boxes is the furthest thing from my mind. That being said, I try to be up front with customers and let them know that if they are willing to be patient I will get it done for them.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had a similar experience. Custom Sounds here in Austin wanted $400 for a pretty basic sealed box for 2 twelves. I ended up asking around and found a dude that built me the one below for $150. Not only was it crazy cheaper but he did an incredible job. Fused terminals, rounded edges, seperate chambers. Couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I would scour craigslist for a tablesaw and do it yourself. At the end of the day a nice tablesaw will cost you 400 bucks. figure 100 into building the box. Ya, you spent more than 300, but you got a tablesaw out of the deal

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Got the job done. What gets me is they didn't have to put too much thought into it. I asked for it to be built to spec as JL specified. Whatever.
like i said, it's not just the cost of materials as you had but also employee salaries, taxes, worker's comp, utilities, equipment, mortgage payment, etc etc. i am not defending their prices but you have to look at the whole picture and the fact they are an operating business and not a non-for-profit organization.

you could say home depot is ripping you off on lumber costs because you could just walk out into a forest and cut down a tree :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts