·
Listener of Music
3,710 Posts
To vague.

Amp racks? In the trunk? Matching fabric? Tuning the DSP? ETC

·
Registered
15 Posts
Need a lot more information on this. For a "basic" install of a DSP and 4 channel, that would be high for my area. Now if you getting a custom amp rack, dsp tuning, etc. it might be in line

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Need a lot more information on this. For a "basic" install of a DSP and 4 channel, that would be high for my area. Now if you getting a custom amp rack, dsp tuning, etc. it might be in line
No fabrication, racks, carpet, etc. Basic tune yes.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I may have missed it but have you ever told us what kind of car this is you’re working on? Any other integration parts needed?

IMO that is too high unless you already bought all the gear and there is more to this we don’t know

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would the "mine vs. shop" purchased equipment change the hourly cost? Current AMP already under seat. Signal lines and speaker wires also. So, no other integration.

·
Registered
567 Posts
We can help you better in this and other posts if you provide more complete information. The type of vehicle can make a big difference.

If you already have an amp installed and everything ran I have no idea why you’re even paying a shop to do this work. How is the current amp integrated?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had the same issue with some shops during my install, places like to wrap up the final cost with a nice big bow...!

And to tell you the truth, it's not that they are trying to gouge you, many have a hard time breaking down the various tasks, that is why I made a list of actions and handed it to them, I had it broken down like this:
1. Sub House fab & install
2. Amp install,
3. Sound deadening (parts & labor),
4, New cables and wires,
5. DSP tuning

Then I had them figure the pricing for each line and questioned each one, based on their hourly rate (which was $120/hr)

The above install came out to UNDER $1,400 at one of the best shops in So. Cal.

BTW: they posted a install video of my Passport (super short, but still cool)...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had the same issue with some shops during my install, places like to wrap up the final cost with a nice big bow...!

And to tell you the truth, it's not that they are trying to gouge you, many have a hard time breaking down the various tasks, that is why I made a list of actions and handed it to them, I had it broken down like this:
1. Sub House fab & install
2. Amp install,
3. Sound deadening (parts & labor),
4, New cables and wires,
5. DSP tuning

Then I had them figure the pricing for each line and questioned each one, based on their hourly rate (which was $120/hr)

The above install came out to UNDER $1,400 at one of the best shops in So. Cal.

BTW: they posted a install video of my Passport (super short, but still cool)...
Thanks, that's really helpful!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you break it down into hours, it should not take a full 8 hour day for an installation of an amp and dsp. If it takes 4 hours that is a labor rate of $260 and if it takes 6 hours a labor rate of $175. That would be on the high side.
Yes, you're right on about the number of hours it should take. When I worked up a plan before I estimated the number of hours different tasks should take. I also used different rates for tasks like removing panels, laying down damping and deadening, running wires etc, versus tuning. I believe that the job that requires the most skill should be performed by the most talented guys in the shop whereas the more basic ones can be handled by rookies or less knowledgeable staff. So as far as I'm concerned, those Installers should earn a higher wage.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For my own info what is done with a partial tune?
I used that term loosely. Specifically, for this setup it's a temporary installation. The tuning is only for the front stage (4 speakers) driven by one amp. The DSP, while BNIB, will be completely removed and upgraded when the full installation is done. There will be no additional amps, fabrication, subwoofer, rear speakers, nor noise reducing materials. I don't expect very much from this setup. Once all of those pieces are added, the new DSP will be tuned according.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you break it down into hours, it should not take a full 8 hour day for an installation of an amp and dsp. If it takes 4 hours that is a labor rate of $260 and if it takes 6 hours a labor rate of $175. That would be on the high side.
I don't agree with that at all. Again, we don't k ow what kind of car it's going in, but he said "under seat". That may require seat removal, there may be airbags that need avoided, we know there will be wiring, we don't know what the source is or how it's being integrated. We don't know how the output is being done, are they running new speaker wire or are they hooking to factory wiring.

You can't make an accurate statement about how long it will take without knowing all the information that was left out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't agree with that at all. Again, we don't k ow what kind of car it's going in, but he said "under seat". That may require seat removal, there may be airbags that need avoided, we know there will be wiring, we don't know what the source is or how it's being integrated. We don't know how the output is being done, are they running new speaker wire or are they hooking to factory wiring.

You can't make an accurate statement about how long it will take without knowing all the information that was left out.
we don’t know all information. I am just going off of what is provided. As I stated above, “basic”. Headunit already installed. Author did not state oem integration or headunit getting installed. My assumption would be headunit already installed. If you want me to be very specific here you go:

$1,040 would be high for:

4 gauge wire from battery to amp
Rcas from headunit to amp and DSP
Running a new return wires to tap into existing factory speaker wires
“Basic” tune to make sure it works

1 - 20 of 78 Posts