DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I'm looking for a PRO to install and tune a new system. I know that times are tough and maybe some guys aren't getting full hours working at their shops.

I know what I want, I have system diagrams already made, and I've began to buy the equipment. If you fall into this category, feel free to reach out! I'm NOT looking to get anything for free. I am only interested in working with a professional who will make this project a priority and I will pay well for this service.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18,491 Posts
What happened to the other ones we recommended?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: The Italian

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to bump this if nobody minds. Still working on finding a shop but if that doesn't work out, this might be a good alternative.

·
Registered
18,491 Posts
I'm going to bump this if nobody minds. Still working on finding a shop but if that doesn't work out, this might be a good alternative.
Is driving it up to NY the alternative? :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
My recommendation - Do It Yourself.

I wouldn't be chasing down anyone to give them my business. If they don't seem interested, then screw 'em...

Besides, then you can do the work whenever you want, using the components that you want to use, sourced from anywhere you want to source them from. Then you can tune everything the way you want it tuned.

It's kind of like taking your car to the dealership - I hate every minute of it - scheduling appointments around their availability, taking off work, wasting so much time - and half of the time you'll get a "could not replicate" message anyway, even though you know there is a problem.

Not to mention the satisfaction you get by doing it yourself.

Just my opinion, of course. :)

EDIT: Ooops - I thought this was your other thread on the subject (the "Rant" thread). But it still applies, I guess. :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is driving it up to NY the alternative? :)
I really wish I could @SkizeR.... It's just not something I can do right now... We are in the process of releasing a new watch and I'm working with companies in three continents with parts, samples, and prototypes flying back and forth...Nashville got hit by some really strong tornadoes which caused substantial damage and covid hit right after so it's probably the worst time to launch a new product but things were already rolling and it was impossible to turn back. I really appreciate you extending a hand and maybe I can make a trip in the future so we can meet face to face...I know you have a passion for this industry and even though just as an enthusiast, I do as well.

·
Registered
18,491 Posts

I wouldn't be chasing down anyone to give them my business. If they don't seem interested, then screw 'em...

Besides, then you can do the work whenever you want, using the components that you want to use, sourced from anywhere you want to source them from. Then you can tune everything the way you want it tuned.

It's kind of like taking your car to the dealership - I hate every minute of it - scheduling appointments around their availability, taking off work, wasting so much time - and half of the time you'll get a "could not replicate" message anyway, even though you know there is a problem.

EDIT: Ooops - I thought this was your other thread on the subject (the "Rant" thread). But it still applies, I guess. :)
Theres plenty of reasons why someone would want to take it to a professional..

1) Some peoples time is more valuable than what they are spending
2) They don't have the skill or tools to do what they want
3) They don't want to tear the car apart every weekend over the course of 8 months just to get an install finished. They want one and done, and to be happy within a couple weeks instead of wasting countless weekends
4) They want the support that a good shop offers on their products and installs
5) As people get older, they don't have the physical capability to do this anymore.
6) They just don't have the knowledge and don't care to spend years learning how to do it properly before they attempt to do it

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I hear'ya brother! It was my gut instinct but just an emotional response. The thing is that I'm not able to do it physically which is frustrating. I have been thinking about some way of making the work possible for me given some physical limitations. We'll see but it will definitely be less than ideal.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Theres plenty of reasons why someone would want to take it to a professional..

1) Some peoples time is more valuable than what they are spending
2) They don't have the skill or tools to do what they want
3) They don't want to tear the car apart every weekend over the course of 8 months just to get an install finished. They want one and done, and to be happy within a couple weeks instead of wasting countless weekends
4) They want the support that a good shop offers on their products and installs
5) As people get older, they don't have the physical capability to do this anymore.
6) They just don't have the knowledge and don't care to spend years learning how to do it properly before they attempt to do it
Yes, you hit the nail on the head here. Probably 90% of these points apply in my situation.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Yeah, that is the one exception that I should have included - unless you are physically unable. My apologies - I really should have considered that you may WANT to do it yourself, but just aren't physically able.

It's obvious that you are very interested in the subject, have basically already planned out everything in your head and done most of the "leg work" (not to mention being on a DIY site talking about it), so there is obviously some interest in doing it yourself. Unfortunately, it sounds like there are some physical limitations that are getting in way - and that is completely understandable. That is the one reason where I can completely understand needing to get a professional involved.

Maybe I'm a little "old school", but to me, shops should be going out of their way to snag potential customers. At the end of the day, the customer is the one spending the money - and they should be in control of what gets installed and how everything is setup (if that's what they want). If the shop isn't interested - fine - just tell the potential customer that so they can move on. Don't keep them hanging, waiting for an answer if they aren't even interested in getting the business.

·
Registered
18,491 Posts
Maybe I'm a little "old school", but to me, shops should be going out of their way to snag potential customers. At the end of the day, the customer is the one spending the money - and they should be in control of what gets installed and how everything is setup (if that's what they want). If the shop isn't interested - fine - just tell the potential customer that so they can move on. Don't keep them hanging, waiting for an answer if they aren't even interested in getting the business.
If you see my reply in I think the other thread, you will see that this might only need to be the case for shops doing typical in and out work. Well known shops that are doing top work have waitlists longer than you could imagine with customers that are on completely different wavelengths than us weirdo hobbyists on a forum. These guys do not need to chase any work. Work comes to them, and they have the ability and the right to pick and choose whatever they want to do, as I am starting to do.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, that is the one exception that I should have included - unless you are physically unable. My apologies - I really should have considered that you may WANT to do it yourself, but just aren't physically able.

It's obvious that you are very interested in the subject, have basically already planned out everything in your head and done most of the "leg work" (not to mention being on a DIY site talking about it), so there is obviously some interest in doing it yourself. Unfortunately, it sounds like there are some physical limitations that are getting in way - and that is completely understandable. That is the one reason where I can completely understand needing to get a professional involved.

Yes, I agree and I really do wish I could do the whole project myself. There are probably some parts that I could do but since everyone has been saying that I should let the shop call the shots, I'm waiting to see if they are interested. It does make absolute sense for them to tell you if they don't want to do your car; particularly when I've asked the question directly. I don't understand and as a former private pilot, circling the runway in a holding pattern just sucks.

·
Registered
766 Posts
It's me your favorite person with no industry experience. Have you gone into any of these stores in person and just said, "Hey there, I'm looking to get a nice stereo done. I really want the best sound quality I can get within my budget." They will ask what your budget is, maybe what kind of car you have, then they will tell you exactly what they can do for you. They wont even have to think about it.

And just to put it out there, with the kind of gear your are listing in your picture I entirely expect your budget to be up around 15k and I can't imagine anyone is going to see your car, hear you say that, and then let you walk out of the door with a vague, "We'll get back to you". Didn't realize you showed a picture of the 15k audison amp in your diagram? Your budget is sky high and no one will tell you to leave in person, brother. Just go meet someone IRL.

·
Registered
897 Posts
If you see my reply in I think the other thread, you will see that this might only need to be the case for shops doing typical in and out work. Well known shops that are doing top work have waitlists longer than you could imagine with customers that are on completely different wavelengths than us weirdo hobbyists on a forum. These guys do not need to chase any work. Work comes to them, and they have the ability and the right to pick and choose whatever they want to do, as I am starting to do.
That's fine - if someone doesn't want the work - then just tell the potential customer that instead of leaving them hanging without any answer - that's all I'm saying. Be respectful of their time just as you'd want them to be respectful of yours (not talking about you here, just in general). I would think that the pool of people willing to spend $20k+ on their car audio system in one shot is a pretty small pool - and you just never know what the future holds and if/when that pool will dry up. Look at the whole COVID-19 thing, for example - a lot of shops were forced to close for an extended time and a lot of people no longer had the disposable income they had before this whole mess.

·
Registered
18,491 Posts
That's fine - if someone doesn't want the work - then just tell the potential customer that instead of leaving them hanging without any answer - that's all I'm saying. Be respectful of their time just as you'd want them to be respectful of yours (not talking about you here, just in general). I would think that the pool of people willing to spend $20k+ on their car audio system in one shot is a pretty small pool - and you just never know what the future holds and if/when that pool will dry up. Look at the whole COVID-19 thing, for example - a lot of shops were forced to close for an extended time and a lot of people no longer had the disposable income they had before this whole mess.
Trust me on this, you are very unaware.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Trust me on this, you are very unaware.

I'm not that unaware - hell, it was just recently you started doing remote tunes for a while because you were concerned about the future due to the whole COVID-19 thing. I remember reading a few of your posts where you sounded very concerned and said things like "I'm not sure what I'm going to do". I'm just saying that you never know what the future holds. Just because it seems like there is a big pool right now doesn't mean that there will be a big pool a year from now, or even a month from now. If the economy crashes or some other unforseen "disaster" happens, things can change in the blink of an eye. Just "Ignoring" those "unwanted" customers now may come back to haunt you down the road, that's all I'm saying (if not treated with respect). I'm talking about how the shops aren't even getting back to the OP - basically, they are "ignoring" him right now because they don't feel they "need" his business. That can easily and quickly change and they may end up regretting that decision (it's called 'burning a bridge"). :)

I don't think the businesses in the CHAZ/CHOP "zone" had any idea they would be part of another "country" last month, without any police protection, but here we are. ;-) It's a crazy world out there nowadays...

·
Registered
18,491 Posts
I'm not that unaware - hell, it was just recently you started doing remote tunes for a while because you were concerned about the future due to the whole COVID-19 thing. I remember reading a few of your posts where you sounded very concerned and said things like "I'm not sure what I'm going to do". I'm just saying that you never know what the future holds. Just because it seems like there is a big pool right now doesn't mean that there will be a big pool a year from now, or even a month from now. If the economy crashes or some other unforseen "disaster" happens, things can change in the blink of an eye. Just "Ignoring" those "unwanted" customers now may come back to haunt you down the road, that's all I'm saying (if not treated with respect). I'm talking about how the shops aren't even getting back to the OP - basically, they are "ignoring" him right now because they don't feel they "need" his business. That can easily and quickly change and they may end up regretting that decision (it's called 'burning a bridge"). :)

I don't think the businesses in the CHAZ/CHOP "zone" had any idea they would be part of another "country" last month, without any police protection, but here we are. ;-) It's a crazy world out there nowadays...
Yup, and I fucked up. I was sloow for a couple weeks, now I dont even know what free time looks like. Kinda screwed myself because I have a few left to do but have been working 16 hours a day lately. But im not talking about me. I'm talking about shops like Titan, who I recommend and he asked about.

Oh, I also know those guys. He's not being ignored.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
pretty simple, its called business etiquette, if someone doesn't want to do business with someone for whatever reason, tell them to look elsewhere and move on. i do it all the time. if you are uncomfortable with a potential client for whatever reason or if you are extremely booked than great, tell the individual you will pass and move on, very simple and takes about 20 seconds to say that in an email or a text.

however, to just ignore someone, thats totally arrogant and stupid no matter the reason

1 - 20 of 35 Posts