DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Never thought I'd go this far upgrading my truck audio and this may be my last upgrade. I'm torn between getting a dmx1057 or a vx800/8i. Maybe noth'n at all, lol.

Currently have stock hu, upgraded speakers(Morel 62) with passive crossover, rear doors are entry level coax, sub, Key200.4/500.1 amps. Right now I feel my speakers want more power but I'm a low to moderate volume listener and looking for more clarity. I've read of others with the same truck, upgrading the hu brought more clarity and on the other hand I read going active creates a better front stage(?)/etc..

the vxi could flatten the hu output signal, Full active, 25 more watts, replace 2 amps with one
dmx could output a flatter signal compared to stock hu, brings hd radio, has a nice screen and a lot of eye candy display and features

any comments would be helpful

·
Super Moderator
1,266 Posts
More power is better...!

Message sent!

Reactions: Paul S.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You don't say what kind of truck it is, but an aftermarket head unit is almost always an upgrade over an OEM one. Run your rear speakers off the aftermarket head unit and use the 200.4 amp to drive the fronts active...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You don't say what kind of truck it is, but an aftermarket head unit is almost always an upgrade over an OEM one. Run your rear speakers off the aftermarket head unit and use the 200.4 amp to drive the fronts active...
Thank you for reminding me of that option with the 200.4 as I've thought about it but felt I didn't want to do wiring changes. Maybe that could save me a lot of cash! although somewhat of redo for wiring. I thought about that with the oem hu but it went past me doing that with an after market hu. hmmmm
I've got a Tacoma, 8" standard radio, it's my wife's daily, she doesn't use the bt features at all, just low volume music via fm radio or usb stick. Going with the dmx I'd have to get the kit for the steering wheel controls.

ahh, but the xo's(was it 3.2k or 3.4k) are fixed when doing that, the Morel's has 2.4khz xo. The 6.5's woofers are spec'd to 3khz too

I was lolo trying to piece together things and not look'n at the whole picture of the components I'd end up with.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The DMX head unit has a 2.5khz option, plus a handful of others. Correct me if I'm wrong, but right now you're running speaker level inputs into those amps off the stock head unit. Can't help but think that an aftermarket head unit and RCA connections to the amp would sound better. That DMX head unit has pretty much the same functionality as a DSP, plus your key 200.4 already DSP functionality as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Based on the description in the Details tab on the Crutchfield listing for the 200.4, I believe the auto settings can be disabled, but I do not know for sure...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts