DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold a deck and now the buyer is saying it has issues. It's a dual din touch screen and he says the touch screen isn't working.

Here's the problem. It worked perfectly fine when I bought it and I never even got a chance to use it. What is the right way to handle this? I don't think it's fair to sell something working, have the buyer break it (since I'm positive it was working when I sold it) and then have to take back a broken item...

What do you guys think? I've NEVER been in this situation before... and let's just say, it really sucks.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
caveat emptor ;)

he he, just kidding. I would tell him it worked when it left you and all sales are final. just be prepared to take a hit on your ebay profile.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Depends on the situation.
Do you have a serial to verify that if he sends it back, he actually sends the deck that you sold him?

Never know, it could be user error. I once sold a deck, on here even, where the buyer contacted me after the sale saying it was broken. I had him try a few things, nope, he said it didn't work.

He sent the deck back, ran it through testing, and there was nothing wrong with it. Turns out he had a wiring issue in his install.
I ended up getting an offer higher than what I originally sold it for, and made out better.

So you never know.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I sold a deck and now the buyer is saying it has issues. It's a dual din touch screen and he says the touch screen isn't working.

Here's the problem. It worked perfectly fine when I bought it and I never even got a chance to use it. What is the right way to handle this? I don't think it's fair to sell something working, have the buyer break it (since I'm positive it was working when I sold it) and then have to take back a broken item...

What do you guys think? I've NEVER been in this situation before... and let's just say, it really sucks.

If you never used it, how do you know it was working? Where did you sell it? (ebay/here/??)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it was working because I bought it locally and played with it in the guys truck before I took it out (He was scared to do it. lol). That's how I can be so confident that it was working.

I sold it on CACO ironically. The other thing is that I sold it to a guy that I had already done business with when I sold him the same deck (I had 2 for sale) 2 weeks ago... He is a nice guy and all, but I don't feel it's fair to have him buy something functioning and then return something broken. Am I wrong?

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
I'm positive it was working when I sold it
Normally, and considering you length as a member, if this was a HU you had used, the buyer could not use the claim that "it was broke when I got it". But since you had not used it then you have the burden of proof. So, if you want us to advise you then we must know why you are "positive it was working".

EDIT: I just read your reply.

Are you sure it's not a shipping issue.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Normally, and considering you length as a member, if this was a HU you had used, the buyer could not use the claim that "it was broke when I got it". But since you had not used it then you have the burden of proof. So, if you want us to advise you then we must know why you are "positive it was working".

EDIT: I just read your reply.

Are you sure it's not a shipping issue.
Thank you for the vote of confidence. I was a long-time member of ECA too. It's definitely not like I'm going to ruin 10 years of a reputation (I think I had joined ECA back around 01 or so) over a simple transaction like this.

I would normally assume it was shipping, but this was a deal that actually got done locally.
I took the deck out of the truck myself after playing with it for probably a good 10 minutes, then put it in a box at my house with packing peanuts (figured it was safe and had the box laying around when I got the deck, so it worked out) then took the deck out of the box to take pictures (posted the pics) and when I sold it, I just left it in the box with the peanuts and gave him the whole thing...

·
Registered
57 Posts
How long did the buyer have the unit prior to saying it was broken? Did the buyer say it never worked or was it working and subsequently failed?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
How long did the buyer have the unit prior to saying it was broken? Did the buyer say it never worked or was it working and subsequently failed?
you really think they would say it worked and then failed if they were trying to get thier money back? that would be a done deal in my mind, you broke it, you bought it. even if that was true, you will never get the customer to admit it, lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do not know you, or your customer, so in this case it doesn't matter what I think. I know that a person is capable of being honest in any situation.

I recently purchased an amplifier that was operable but failed shortly after purchase. Upon opening the amplifier, I noticed I was actually responsible for the damage to the amplifier. When I visited the seller to return the unit, I informed them that I had actually damaged the amplifier during installation at which point I was thanked for my honesty and issued a new amplifier.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
^x2

If it was a local pickup thing I would go see the guy, verify functionality and make sure it isn't his install skills that are causing this. smell the unit to make sure he didn't fry it. Sometimes you gotta take a hit on these things if you want to save your reputation. It is however pretty easy to fry electronics due to faulty wiring methods.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^x2

If it was a local pickup thing I would go see the guy, verify functionality and make sure it isn't his install skills that are causing this. smell the unit to make sure he didn't fry it. Sometimes you gotta take a hit on these things if you want to save your reputation. It is however pretty easy to fry electronics due to faulty wiring methods.
That's the part that is confusing me. Why is it going to affect me if I sell something that works, the buyer breaks it and then I refuse to refund the money he paid for a working unit in exchange for me taking back a broken unit?

A retail store wouldn't even do that if they knew that the buyer broke it and it was fine when they buyer bought it originally.... and I'm definitely not a store. :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
I do not know you, or your customer, so in this case it doesn't matter what I think. I know that a person is capable of being honest in any situation.

I recently purchased an amplifier that was operable but failed shortly after purchase. Upon opening the amplifier, I noticed I was actually responsible for the damage to the amplifier. When I visited the seller to return the unit, I informed them that I had actually damaged the amplifier during installation at which point I was thanked for my honesty and issued a new amplifier.
How did you fry the amp?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts