DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the system installed in my car 2 weeks ago. I bought a new Lrx 5.1 to drive the whole system. I have a 3 way set of Hertz 163 speakers for front,5.25" in back doors, and 2 10" woofers on bass channel. All speaker channels A, B, And C are running at 4 ohms. I don't have any prior experience with amp so don't know what to do with this issue. Whenever I have a song that has loud continous bass, the amp lights up all 3 lights on it a second as it does an auto reset. After a second or two of silence, everything comes back on. There is a temperature light that lets you know if amp is getting warm and flashes when it turns fan on, but none of this happens prior to auto reset.
Since I have a gas tank b\w back seat and trunk, I have the bass turne up kinda loud to even hear it, a problem that might be resolved this week by install shop by opening a passage on rear deack into trunk. Regardless, I have taken a meter to all connections and verified that all 3 channels are running 4 ohms.
The instruction manual says that when all 3 lights are lit, that the amp has an internal problem. Yet, it seems that when this internal problem exists, the 3 lights stay lit. I don't know for sure, but my 3 lights just light up a second as amp autoresets.
I have 5v pre amp rca input, so I turned gain on amp to level 4. To get enough bass, I turned bass boost on amp to +4db.
All i can say is that the amp is not overheating, not hooked up on too low impediance, and will work all day long really loud as long as no continous loud bass in music.
The only thing I thought of is maybe it is losing power or volatage dropping too low, causing it reset. Although the amp is about 2 feet from car battery, hooked up with 4 gauge wire, along with a 1 farad cap in line to amp in short run.
Any ideas? I bought amp new from someone on ebay and am waiting for response to see where it was purchased from. Otherwise, the only contact info on audison's website are in Europe, so I sent email. Anyone know the number to Support in US? Thanks for ayones help!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Bummer! Sounds like a bad amp, and someone dumped it. :(
Try it with nothing hooked up.

Downside is no warranty on second-hand (including all web) purchases. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Try disconnecting the sub woofers....the power draw my be throwing the amp into a circuit protect of some sort....

I'm not too sure if its a bad amp versus expecting too much from it...

·
Registered
193 Posts
877-567-3030 is the number for Eletromedia - they are Audison and Hertz.

$160 flat repair fee for this amp + ~$20-25 return shipping.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm not too sure if its a bad amp versus expecting too much from it...

I run this same amp, NOT bought on ebay, I run the class A "front" channels at 8 ohm to my ID Ultra Horns(approx 30 watts)/ class A/B "Rear" channels 4ohm to ML165 MB drivers (approx 170 watts p/ch)/ Sub outputs run two ID IDQ V.3 10's at combined total of 2ohms (approx 1100 watts) and I do not typically run bass heavy music, but there are occasions that I have been known to put the woofers excursion to the test, and I have yet to have my amp shut down.

Sounds to me like you bought a door stop.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I run the same amp and that's why I have the repair number - I had an internal noise issue.

biga3723, you didn't buy a door stop and not sure why braves6117 wants you to think you did, or does he think you're "expecting too much from it?" Hard to know.

biga3723, you now have the number to get in touch w/tech support, and you now know EXACTLY how much it will set you back to get it repaired - a little more than $200 after shipping it to them (a bargain). They are good people and will take care of you and want you to be pleased with their company - send them the amp and you can expect to have it serviced the right way and to feel taken care of. Send it in today and I bet you have your amp back in 2 weeks unless they have to order a part from Italy in which case it could be 3-4 which is, of course, still better than many repair shops.

$200 is more than worth it - as I am sure braves6117 will attest to, it is a really nice amp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts