DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi,

I've got a problem with my P99RS display since yesterday morning. The display will switch between black and white every 10 secs, regardless of source (CD, Tuner etc).

It's very annoying when I'm driving, but short of turning off the display or resetting the unit, is there a solution to this?

Thanks in advance and Merry X'mas to all!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hmmm... my PRS800 & my P01 have always done that... thought it was supposed to. :blush: Although it's always annoyed the hell out of me.

Would like to know as well.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Doesn't anyone read the owners manual?????

It is called "Reverse Mode"

You can turn it off in the "initial settings" menu.

Switching the reverse mode
If you do not perform an operation for about
30 seconds, screen indications start to reverse,
and continue reversing every 10 seconds.
1 Use MULTI-CONTROL to select
Reverse mode in the initial setting menu.
Refer to Adjusting initial settings on page 35.
2 Press MULTI-CONTROL to turn the reverse
mode on.
# To turn the reverse mode off, press
MULTI-CONTROL again.
# You can also turn on or off reverse mode by
pressing B while this unit is turned off. For more
details, refer to Reverse mode on page 8.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Easy fix, go into the setup menu and turn off reverse mode.

I never understood why this HU has such a stupid option.

Someone beat me to it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fantastic Guys! Thanks for the explanation! It didn't register in my mind what "Reverse Mode" meant.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
after all these years, I can't believe anyone wants to look at "reverse mode" all day. why do they even make it the default setting?
Beings it's default, prob for a demo board. Draw attention to it, not that it needs help. Lol

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thanks Jerry! The bad part is i know I've read that part about "reverse mode" more than a couple times, but never gave it much thought. :)

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Man, I HATE when something resets and it starts flipping back and forth.....drives me insane. My P9 combo did the same thing. Someone should lose their job at Pioneer over that....lol!!!!

BTW, if you lose power to the car (disconnect battery) or reset the HU, it will start up again!!!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Beings it's default, prob for a demo board. Draw attention to it, not that it needs help. Lol
Nah... if that was the case -it would have the splashing dolphins or some other obnoxius graphics display mode. Even then, the 98th percentile consumer would still compare this "plain" HU to a basic unit that sells for 1/10th the price, but has lots of buttons, dancing graphics, and the ever popular colorful feature logos on the face. "Look, this Boss Audio HU has Superbass™, Ipod, and 50 watts per channel, this other one ain't got ****".

(Not that you would ever see this unit in a demo board to begin with)

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Nah... if that was the case -it would have the splashing dolphins or some other obnoxius graphics display mode. Even then, the 98th percentile consumer would still compare this "plain" HU to a basic unit that sells for 1/10th the price, but has lots of buttons, dancing graphics, and the ever popular colorful feature logos on the face. "Look, this Boss Audio HU has Superbass™, Ipod, and 50 watts per channel, this other one ain't got ****".

(Not that you would ever see this unit in a demo board to begin with)
Very true. Lol
It's beauty is in it's simplicity.
Although, I'd like to visit a shop that would demo it. :D

Man, I HATE when something resets and it starts flipping back and forth.....drives me insane. My P9 combo did the same thing. Someone should lose their job at Pioneer over that....lol!!!!

BTW, if you lose power to the car (disconnect battery) or reset the HU, it will start up again!!!
Have you, or anyone else, ever had it like glitch.. so to speak? I'll be changing a setting, or skipping a track, and it will lag for a second and go into reverse mode again. Nothing has changed, song still plays, but that mode gets reset. I've owned it for a year now, and it has happened to me twice so far.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Very true. Lol
It's beauty is in it's simplicity.
Although, I'd like to visit a shop that would demo it. :D
I will have to start a thread about my small, but impressive demo board.

No p99, but......
Amps: Tru Steel, Arc SE, Sinfoni Tempo
Speakers (all 2-way with factory x-overs): Dynaudio Esotec, Hybrid Legaita, PHASS, Rainbow, Hybrid Imagine, Pioneer (mainstream example to compare to)
Line Driver: Sinfoni LaPrima Series
Subwoofer: IDQ10v3
Head Unit: Alpine CDA-9886
Wire: All IXOS Gamma and IXOS Ixotica RCA's

Have you, or anyone else, ever had it like glitch.. so to speak? I'll be changing a setting, or skipping a track, and it will lag for a second and go into reverse mode again. Nothing has changed, song still plays, but that mode gets reset. I've owned it for a year now, and it has happened to me twice so far.
Not that I noticed. I know another member talked about a ribbon issue with the display going out during playback (the face not connecting right to the chassis). I have the P01, but would think the problems would be the same, if there are any.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Not that I noticed. I know another member talked about a ribbon issue with the display going out during playback (the face not connecting right to the chassis). I have the P01, but would think the problems would be the same, if there are any.
Okay, thanks. Not a major issue, like I said... twice in a year isn't bad. Lol Nothing affected other then having to go back in and turn off the reverse.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I've had my P99 for 2 years and have never had any kind of glitch, other than back when I still using the auto-tune, it would sometimes err out when measuring the midrange response. It does have a few quirks that I attribute to it being an Asian market model.

·
Registered
312 Posts

do you recall what came of this? I am experiencing the same problem with my P99 these past few weeks.
what was the exact problem, and what was the fix?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I only heard of the problem, I don't know of any fix. You may need to send your into Pioneer or contact Matt Roberts on here (MattR).

·
Registered
844 Posts
Slightly OT...

Instead of buying an o-scope, I got the DD-1 distortion detector a few weeks ago and just had a chance to try it yesterday on my P99. It reported distortion at 1khz on the mid outputs at volume 58, volume 61 on all other outputs.

Has anyone else checked their P99 outputs with a scope? I thought I saw a thread on here a while back where someone claimed that this HU sent an unclipped signal at full volume on all outputs.

Not that it's that big of a deal...

·
jtaudioacc
1,952 Posts
Slightly OT...

Instead of buying an o-scope, I got the DD-1 distortion detector a few weeks ago and just had a chance to try it yesterday on my P99. It reported distortion at 1khz on the mid outputs at volume 58, volume 61 on all other outputs.

Has anyone else checked their P99 outputs with a scope? I thought I saw a thread on here a while back where someone claimed that this HU sent an unclipped signal at full volume on all outputs.

Not that it's that big of a deal...

any eq on? mine does not clip at full volume unless I have the SLA at +4. tested with o-scope and dd-1

1 - 20 of 28 Posts