DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in a set of Alpine Type X Refs in my truck this spring, the other day my passenger side tweeter decided to stop playing. Amp is a PG Ti400.2.

Checked with DMM, reads 3.5ohms. Tried switching the crossover from the driver side, no luck. To me if something goes wrong inside the tweeter it should throw the resistance reading out. So this is where my little knowledge of audio comes to an end but I really don't want to be buy new until I know for sure the tweeter is done.
Thanks
Jamie

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think you're right, and it sounds like an amp problem.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah. What buchaja ^^ said. Try switching the "bad" speaker to the working side. Probably don't want to try the good speaker on the bad side.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried swapping channels yesterday, same problem. I will try it again tonight to make sure though.

·
Registered
421 Posts
So, you left the tweeters in their original locations and switched amp inputs to them and got the same result?

If that's true, it's not your amplifier. Something's wrong with the install. It might be a pinched and shorted wire, or even an open (completely cut or disconected) wire.

Use your ohmeter to check both the positive and negative sides of the wire from the amp to the tweeter - disconect amp and tweet first, you just want to check the wire. If you get infinite resistance on either lead, you've got an open and need to replace the wire. If you get zero resistance, as you should with a good wire, then you further have to make sure you don't have a short; do this by making sure you have infinite resistance from both ends of the wire to whatever ground you choose, again on both leads.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I switched the amps outputs but yes the same passenger side tweeter still did not play. Tried switching the RCAs too but still passenger tweeter. I initially checked the wires straight off the amp but just for resistance between pos and neg and it tested the same as my driver side (3.7ohm at the amp). I pulled the tweeter and smelled it... smells like burnt voicecoil the smell isn't strong but it is there. Doesn't make sense to me though because my resistance reading should be damn near infinite if the voicecoil went no? I don't have access to a DMM again until Wednesday to double check my wiring at either end but if the resistance is the same between the two sides it should be good no?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've seen several tweeters with an intermittent connection to the voice coil.

I would test the tweeter by using a AA batt between the pos. and neg. on the tweet. Don't hold the battery there, but hold the neg. and scrape the positive on the positive of the battery. You should get a scratching sound as the battery "plays" the tweeter.

I think maybe you're reading a good impedance because you might be holding it just right to help the leads inside make a good connection.

Another good test is to hook it up to your home stereo sys. and see if it plays.
While it plays, try touching diff. areas of the tweeter leads and gently move the wire all directions to see if it will cut out.

To fix this you can try to resolder the voice coil lead to the wire terminal on the tweeter. I have had success about 50% of the time fixing this problem this way. Sometimes the leads just cant' be reliably resoldered.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If the other side played fine from either channel of the amp, then the problem is almost certainly that the tweeter is blown. Just to be sure, test the continuity of the wiring on the bad side - if it is good, then the tweeter is shot.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had a pair of Phoenix Gold tweeters from the Xenon component set that were so stupid! Over time the mounting brackets would pull the motor from the voice coil! I would re attach them with epoxy and eventually they would be apart again. Finally i used some epoxy resin built for headlights, that worked. I still have them even though one of the 6.5's locked up solid on me and I broke the A pillar switch on the crossover. From the sound of it you warped the former on the tweet, it's still got a "good coil" but the former has changed shape so it's locked onto the pole piece solid.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so signs are pointing to the tweeter is done... alright than. What does one replace them with? I guess I should start looking into it and why the tweeter went in the first place so I can fix it and it won't happen again. But if anyone knows what I could replace them with so I can start looking for them. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts