DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody, I just bought a Rockford Fosgate 700s used. All though the amp looks brand new and there are no signs of it ever being hooked up or mounted I tested it to make sure it works. Know when I tested it I only ran it at very low volumes because it was late and in town so as to respect others.

The amp has dual 8 gauge hook ups for ground and power. I only hooked up 1 8g on both when I tested it. The amp worked great the fullf-hpf-lps all worked as did both channels, I did not adjust the gains do to not have proper tools. Then I unhooked the amp and brought it home.\

The next day I adjusted the gains to straight up/half way and then hooked it up with dual 8g for power and ground, hooked 2-12" single 4 ohm subs up to it in stereo.
This is where it gets odd -
1- Now the LPF lets more words pass and it didn't last night - Not right

2- I have to feel the subs to see if they are even hooked up, unless the gain is literally all the way up and deck volume is mid to high. If I turn down the gain at all sub just has really no power to it/like deck power would be - Not right.

I have been doing stereo's a long time and just dont want to admit the amp is bunk I guess.

All wirring is good in my car, its basiclly a test bench on wheels for some time know.

Any and all help would much appreciated.
Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I have seen a lot of Rockfords Where the gain pots go bad.
The ground for the rca's will often break where it connects to the board.But usually causes motor noise.
It could also be the switch.Wiggle it around a little bit while playing music through it.If it makes it any better blast it with contact cleaner.
Id put money on the pots.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
A lot of the gain problems are because most people dont have a small screwdriver and they stick all kinds of things in there to adjust it and end up bending it over breaking the contacts to the board or pushing it in messing it up internally.
I saw one guy break off his car antenna and stick it in there because his subs "didnt hit".
I like the fact that they use separate gains.I think they designed them like that so the installer could set them and the customer wouldnt tamper with them increasing reliability for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya thats why I waited to adjust the gains the next day. The gains look like they have never been adjusted, and ya Iv'e owned a few of this type and the previous owner mangled them. So these POTS what are they and can they be fixed - Please tell me more.

Brian

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I think I know what the pots are - basicly the little box that acually adjust the gain when I turn it up or down.

So the question is then if its the pots are they worth getting fixed and can I even get new pots for this amp. I think there is a local guy (I hope) who works on amps here in town maybe I should try and find him.

Brian

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
If you trust the guy I would let him bench test it.He would be able to tell you what the problem really is.
Yes the pots are the square things in the holes marked left and right gains.
Its a simple repair,max should be $70.If thats the problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for spreading your knowledge around guys.

Now for the LPF, it just seems that it should be cutting out alot more word/instruments then it is -( are they an expensive fix ), because I would not want to run a sub with that wide of a range.

It does sound different when I switch it between the settings but if its not broken its got to be the worst LPF I have ever heard

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everyone thanks for the great input!

I talked to the guy I bought it from and he agreed to give me a full refund, its just to bad because that was a very nice amp. I guess Ill just keep looking, sound like the RF Model right befor these might be a little better choice or a Crossfire BMF or VR 1000 for my Treo TSX 15.

Thanks, I love this Forum theres some VERY Smart people on here.
Brian

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So as I said before I was going to talk to Randy the guy I bought the amp from and guess what he said "Ill give you your money back and just keep everything I gave you, because I have no use for it". It was his sons stuff from years ago and his son said that he didn't want it and to just sell it all. UH, Ya Good people still exist on Craigslist.

So I feel pretty blessed to say the least. Now to see if there's a shop around here that will touch it for a fair price.

If its not worth my $ or lack there of I will just pass it on to someone that can do something with it.

Brian

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Thats great man its always good to hear stuff like that.
Nowadays all you ever hear about about is just bought this for a million dollars and now two days later and its up in smoke or i just got burnt on ebay by xxx so dont fu$k with him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts