DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 GMC crewcab w/nav, bluetooth and touchscreen H/U. Im going to keep the H/U because i like the way it looks in the truck. The only think im have trouble is the processor, not sure which one to get. So i thought id let you guys guide me.

The plan is to have a pair of L1 in the A-piller, and have them in the doors. (one L1 in each door) i would put a pair of L3 and L8 in the front doors and a pair of L4 in thre back doors. So thats one L1, L3 and a L8 in the front doors and L1 and L4 in the back doors. The L1 in the A-piller and the one in the front door will be wired together to one channel. All together i will have four amps to run the system. (2-4ch, 1-2ch and a mono amp)

This is the breakdown first 4-ch amp will run the left A-piller and left L1 on one channel, left L3 on the second channel, right A-piller and right L1 on the third channel, right L3 on the forth channel. The next amp will be a 2-ch amp which will run the L8 in the front doors. The third amp will be a 4-ch that will run the L1 and L4 in the back doors. The last amp will be a mono amp that will be pushing 2-12'' subs under the back seat. All together that is 11 channels, would that be ok and is there a processor i can buy to run my system. If i have to ill run two processor (left and right) if that would work better.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That sounds like it's going to be a b!tch to tune. Guys have had great success running the L3 and L1 on the A pillar. That would be a much better alternative that will help with raising your soundstage than running 2 sets of L1s up front. As far as the rear goes, you're on your own there. I've never been a fan of running an elaborate rear fill setup. A simple set of decent coaxials off HU power has been more than enough for me. Most my passengers don't give a sh!t about the sound like I do, they just want to be able to hear it! Not to mention this would make finding a processor about 100 times easier.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea im starting to thing the samething. i guees ill have to redesign my system again........

·
Registered
67 Posts
The first question I would ask after reading that plan is, "Why"? What are you trying to accomplish with that many speakers?

Personally, if I had that kind of space (I drive a BMW Z3) I would try to get the L1s and L3s in the A-Pillars and put the L8s in the doors. Always good to keep the tweets and mids together if you can. I don't know what kind of kick space you have, but my next prefference would be L1 in the pillars, L4 in the kick and L8 in the doors.

If you REALLY want rear fill then I would run L4s off the HU in the back and maybe even attenuate them a little.

I still the the KISS principle is best. JMHO.

In my little car I'm actually running L61-2 Pros with L6s and L1s in the kicks. Sounds superb with a nice high, wide soundstage sitting right on the hood.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Getting back to your original question ei. what processor, I would look no further than Audiocontrol they make quite a few and have been doing it for a long time. Great quality, the best IMHO

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
What sort of processing are you looking for? Xover? TA? Phase? EQ? Limiter?

If all of the above, you could run a pair of Behringer DCX2496's. It might be the most cost-effective route, although maybe not the most hassle-free.

If you just need xover, then aim for amps with them built in.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have a 2008 GMC extd cab. Have you tore your door panels apart to insure you have the space without interfering with the window? I am running 6.5's in the stock door locations after heavily fortifying the door with deadening. I have 4's down in the kicks cross firing and vented out thru the fender. The tweets are in the stock location in the A pilars . I am running dual 4 channels with two sets of channels bridged for the midbass and a mono sub amp. The tweets are my biggest issue.....it sounds great, but there is potential for it to kick ass. I am using a Bit 1 for all my processing. I have a 10" PPI Pro in a .75 sealed enclosure that runs the length of the transmission tunnel from under the dash to the front of the front console and keeps my image locked down up front and dead center. The depth is mid hood, but after some more experimenting with the tweeters tomorrow, I am hoping to extend it out past. PM me if you have any questions about taking things apart........been there done that a couple times.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i was looking at Audiocontrol for my processor needs. i think im going redesign my system and see if i can come up with something better. as for the L8s in the doors im going to reshape the door panels to have them fit but still look stock. something like this but with a L8, L3 and L1.....

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea im starting to think that. the truck is so damn big im scared its not enough sound if i use less.

ok what about this, use L1 and L3 or L4 on 4ch amp then a 2ch amp for the L8 in the front doors. keep the factory tweet in the a-piller and the factory back door speakers for when i have a movie for the kids.

·
Registered
287 Posts
DC Zapco amps with built in processors. They make all the amp types your looking for. That's my suggestion, unless you already have the amps. If that's the case, I say sell the amps you have and then go with the DC Zapco amps.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
If you're scared that your speakers aren't going to give you enough output, choose different speakers. Don't just add more of them.

I'm not saying don't try the multiple driver solution. It can have its benefits (and its drawbacks...).

You could always compromise and use two sets of L8s but a single pair of L4s and L1s, or whatever your mid/tweet combo is. That might also make finding amplification/processing easier...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DC Zapco amps with built in processors. They make all the amp types your looking for. That's my suggestion, unless you already have the amps. If that's the case, I say sell the amps you have and then go with the DC Zapco amps.
yea i already have the amps, plus i had Zapco in the pass and i find the Lunar sounds better out the box. IMO

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're scared that your speakers aren't going to give you enough output, choose different speakers. Don't just add more of them.

I'm not saying don't try the multiple driver solution. It can have its benefits (and its drawbacks...).

You could always compromise and use two sets of L8s but a single pair of L4s and L1s, or whatever your mid/tweet combo is. That might also make finding amplification/processing easier...
i hear what you are saying, i might be makeing this harder then it should be. im thinking to much and i should go with my gut. you guys are a real big help, thank yall.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Check into the alpine pxa-h900
i was told that was a nice unit. just like to find someone that has one so i can see what its all about. wish JBL would come out with theres, thats the one i would buy.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
something like this but with a L8, L3 and L1.....

No processing in the world can get something like that sounding "right." Are you doing this as a showoff mobile of sorts, or are you planning on listening to it and enjoying it? Not intending to sound like a smartass; it's an honest question.

Like Mark said, adding more speakers will not accomplish what you want. Ideally nothing but your subwoofer should be physically located behind your head. One can achieve a balanced, up-front sound stage with proper tonality, imagining, etc with maybe rear midbass speakers, but that's biting of way more than you can chew right now, it seems.

Any of the Legatia speakers installed correctly will play plenty loud with plenty of sound. Unless your definition of "enough loudess" is sitting in front left part of a small room with glass walls with sound bouncing all over with absolutely no cohesion what so ever.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
No processing in the world can get something like that sounding "right." Are you doing this as a showoff mobile of sorts, or are you planning on listening to it and enjoying it? Not intending to sound like a smartass; it's an honest question.

Like Mark said, adding more speakers will not accomplish what you want.
Wait, that's not what I said exactly. Adding more speakers CAN accomplish what he wants. It just depends on what he wants. :D

You're right that there are some definite drawbacks when it comes to adding more drivers (at least, in different locations...). But there are also drawbacks when having too few drivers, if you can't attain the desired output. My comment to him was more about making sure that his speaker selection was addressing his goals first, before adding additional drivers. I really have no first-hand experience with the speakers he's talking about, so it's hard for me to gauge that.

Systems with "SPL" in mind (such as mine) often benefit from more speakers, or at least the properly chosen speakers. In my last car, I also toyed with the idea of dual midranges in the front -- since I use a computer, my idea was to be able to automatically shut one off when not in "SPL mode". You can do something similar with the right processor.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Like Mark said, adding more speakers will not accomplish what you want. Ideally nothing but your subwoofer should be physically located behind your head. One can achieve a balanced, up-front sound stage with proper tonality, imagining, etc with maybe rear midbass speakers, but that's biting of way more than you can chew right now, it seems.

Any of the Legatia speakers installed correctly will play plenty loud with plenty of sound. Unless your definition of "enough loudess" is sitting in front left part of a small room with glass walls with sound bouncing all over with absolutely no cohesion what so ever.

i understand what your saying. i even thought about putting the tweet and mid in the kicks and the midbass in the door. that would be the easyest thing to do to get proper processing.

thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i guess i just need to hear some sq installs to have a understanding of what i want.........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts