DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Each ring has a ABS insert that will go into the inlay that I routered into each ring. The ABS will be done in a Silver Burlwood to match all the other woodgrain we had redone in the car.

If you have worked with Aluminum before but never had to router a inlay into it, it's a WHOLE different world let me tell you.........way different then using a template and a flush bit.........and when you have to rough cut 3/8" it's a whole different world as well then your typical thin stuff.

With the inlay, the max you can go with each p^^^ is 1/16 or the bit binds up and the aluminum will literally pull the bit out of the router and start going even deeper, meanwhile it screams, sparks and you think the world is coming to a end. If your inlay has to be clean on both edges, you need to make sure you use a router that has very little to no movement when you lock and unlock the bit to make your 1/16" adjustments. Doing a 1/4" inlay, tends to take awhile ! Ohhh....and you need to lubricate the ^^^^ out of it the whole time, the "dricote" cutting lubricant is awesome, works better then a WD40 product and no mess (thanks Chris)

3/8 slab of 6061

Couple of the rings done, a couple just routered, needs to be sanded and polished.

Ready for chrome........................

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
WOW, those rings are beautiful! What type of bit did you use, carbide up-spiral? How much horse power does your router have? Did you use a drill press to make the center hole? What type of bit did you use?

I have never machined aluminum but I know 3003, 3031, 5052, and Mic 6 have better workability then 6061.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a normal carbide spiral bit and then a chamfer bit to get the 45 angle.

I wanted 5000 series but they didn't have anything that thick at the time.

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Those look great man! Those are a lot like what I want to make. I have been wanting to start playing with some aluminum, but without a helper to lube things, and without a proper workshop, i'm going to have to hold off.

·
142 fastest gun in town
483 Posts
Happy to see you say no WD-40 I use Tap Magic for aluminum. I will have to check out Dricote. Good job
Wayne

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Happy to see you say no WD-40 I use Tap Magic for aluminum. I will have to check out Dricote. Good job
Wayne
I used to use the old school Tap Magic with trichlor when machining titanium. That stuff smelled awesome but within a few minutes it'll get you high as a kite. Not what you want while running a mill.. :)

I think the new stuff is safer.

·
142 fastest gun in town
483 Posts
I used to use the old school Tap Magic with trichlor when machining titanium. That stuff smelled awesome but within a few minutes it'll get you high as a kite. Not what you want while running a mill.. :)

I think the new stuff is safer.
Might be, the fans keep us from noticing the smell. I hate machining titanium made my handle bars out of that stuff what a pain. If there is any chance of flexing, aluminum is the way to go. I never use mdf for anything.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nice work. If anyone needs alum I have tons of plate in about any size and alloy #. Also have billets of 2024-t3 up to 10"x8"x58".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts