DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m really Sorry, I’m gonna rephrase this all for a better understanding as I kinda mixed what I knew/understood within my question not making any real sense within overdrawn crap, haha Typical outcome of no dinner and a fair amount of jack gets you, lookin like a fool. Now. I own 4 old school class AB quantum audio amplifiers, ranging in production dates of 2004 to 2013. Getting there in age. 2 are repaired from previous circuitry failures, one being the QB1500D dating 2009, that looks to only have one capacitor replaced. I remember the board being in amazing shape showing no damage from overwhelmingly heated, overworked components, corrosion or Mother Nature Thank god as it came to me overfused BY 40A, WHY, QUANTUM DID NOT PRODUCE INVINCIBLE AMPLIFIERS AND ALREADY OVER FUSE CIRCUITRY BY 20% FOR SAFETY REASON NO FLAMES OR FAILURES NO SIR NOT FOR ME!!!!! Doing such off power inverter in a dude’s garage, feeding output power to a 1.4 ohm final load. For sure it took some shape of damage within the amplifier board from abusive actions, shortening its lifespan by however much. Also Has damaged remote terminal. It’s pushed fair ways into the amp. When I first got the amp, I “fixed” it and pulled it back to where it started. Magically, when I hook up the QB1500D in my car, not a damn thing. No power, huh.. no way the amplifier suffered from failed components 7 hours after me clear as day seeing a bright green Diode lit from the amplifier when fed power. I was pissed. $80 for something that looked like garbage and to fail 7 hours after buying it. Thought it was just, a little fishy. retraced steps to the remote terminal. Put it back to the exact place it was when I got it, Took a excessive, frustrating amount of adjustments but finally, flip the kill switch. Goto the trunk looking everywhere but the diodes. Look down, thank god. Confirmed reason of failure, broken remote terminal at amplifier board. Needs replaced. Not taking chances on rookie repairs, and don’t have professional level money. So he’ll, it Poweres up. It’s good. Second repaired amp is QS1500D. has been tormented severely for most of its lifetime of 2004 to just before I got it. amplifier board shows at some point the power section took a hit so bad, this amp really had no chance at a second life. Went back to Quantum for repairs. replacing All but 4 power transistors, even though all should have been. Got replaced 3 larger capacitor got replaced 5 smaller capacitors and whatever small parts tying into the power section (only know name Of x amount of amplifier board parts and pieces) rebuild=fresh parts= longer life from amplifier.? Of course, but. It’s Very Smart to get fresh capacitors put into your Old school amplifier every 10-15 years to ensure we don’t open one up. Causing anything else to fail behind it. 2019 dates 15 years for remaining original capacitors. we than learn the previous owner abused the living hell out of its already aged, stressed circuitry feeding max input voltage of 13.8 being in compact car, over fusing by 20A (EVERYONE did this to quantum amps like idiots. I don’t know why. everyone must have thought quantum created invincible amplification process within the launched AB line) creating abusive burn marks on/around fuse housing location meeting board. Amplified with a completely shit of a ground melting the plastic around the terminal and leaving pretty deep burn marks on the board where it and the terminal met. Awesome. Age, plus unforgivable amounts of abuse. So now we’re gonna cut that time left till failure in half. As it amplified a final load of 1 ohm. It’s 2 ohm stable. It overheated a lot protected itself a lot doing so much un needed easily avoided thermal damage. I’m confident it’s gonna fail, it’s a given. It’s just a how long till said failure occurs, and a how to bring back up the Severely Shortened lifespan of these once damaged, badly abused old beast, and prolong the life of my next to brand new looking, Seemingly non overworked at the board with Original capacitor, transistors etc, best of all came to me PROPERLY.FUSED AB amps. One is a QB2000D 2009 on the board, the other is a QA2160 (haven’t opened it up, hooked it up as soon as I got it) did however run 2.5 as a final bridged load for a months and a half. Didn’t send into protect a lot, soon learned the time time limit till overloaded thermal levels with 3 50MM fans forcing Air flow to board. Now it sees 4 ohms and properly operates under all conditions. Anything at all that tells me how to give AB amplifiers longest life time possible helps me significantly. As they all sound damn good and deserve a very long life, hopefully one day proving Quantum did for a number of years Falsely rate produced AB amplifiers with peak and RMS wattage Being under rated. Rating them under what they truly were capable for with output wattage. . . while over hated from total user abuse causing complete component Failure in short to no time at all than left overlooked by others from BS. and If More information needed fee free to ask and I’ll relay the best I can, need to knows within my car.
it’s a 06 cobalt LT with a pretty new looking 110A bipolar alternator (presents 14.1-15.7v after alternator takes over, SOMETIMES stably giving amp 13.9-14.1v under deep drops, other times spikes 15+ down to 12.9 Than back under drops. Beginning to do 13.2v 100% stable with all electrical components active And subs slamming. I never know what volt I’ll see when running) second battery was added to electrical system, to assist the Alternator by feeding Lacking amperage, not voltage threw the system. The QS is rated 100A and doesn’t exceed temps of 115 degrees No matter the input voltage or amount of Input voltage drop Threw deep bass frequencies produced (tested off one hours run time slamming like hell , but not a lick of distortion or clipped signal). fan’s under the amp dissipate heat very efficiently. Final load is 2.3 ohms if I remember right.. that drastically reduced operation temperature is alone adding significant amounts of life back, right? Or am I just causing more silent damage with that back and forth real bad at times to minimal VD, and added amperage request to those fans from a already severely overworked alternator, leaving that much less amperage to be fed to the amp..?? I got some ways fully understood. Others, I’m hunting for. Thank you. Sorry again for length, just making sure everything is included. More details always give a more accurate/ positive outcome.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Holy crap ... I tried really hard, but in all of that I could not find an actual question. The closest I could get was this statement "It’s just a how long till said failure occurs, and a how to bring back up the Shortened lifespan of this old thing."
Far as I can tell, you are asking people to recommend preventative maintenance options to extend the operational life of your amplifier. Off the cuff I would say "turn it down", hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts