DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen everywhere to double baffle a sub box.. i understand it makes the box sturdy, gives it a clean look, etc... But how heck do you build one.. the only instructions ive seen was to just glue 2 pieces of mdf together and thats it... what if i just use 1.5" inch mdf instead of 2 3/4" sheets glued together.. Or could i inset the back piece into the box or even make the top baffle hole a little bigger so the sub fits more flush.. Does anybody know the proper way if there even is one lol

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
good luck finding 1.5" MDF. if you do, then yes, it would do that same thing. (although it may cost more than (2) 3/4" sheets.)

and yes. liquid nails and screw it together. once it is dry, you will never get them apart.

route your holes in it first to counter sink the sub.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
and by hard to find, I am pretty sure it doesnt exsist ;)

I mean you make the hole on the outer piece just big enough that the sub will fall right through, the inner piece the hole is cut to mount the sub. then the sub looks flush when it is mounted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is a guy selling sub boxes on ebay he is using 3 sheets of 3/4 MDF for front he is counter sinking the sub for a flush looking finish.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
if you need help building a box just let me know. i'm in westlake and would be happy to help. depending on your sub and it's weight you can make flush mounts pretty easy. this is a setup i did for a pair of 8s. the out piece (face) has a hole cut to the outer diameter of the basket, then one for mounting the sub is slightly smaller and glued / brad nailed to it to make it a flush mount.

this one actually has a triple front baffle - 2 pieces cut to the outer diameter of the basket, then one to the inner for mounting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts