DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals. First a little background info. I'm Gav and this thread is to document my install in my '95 5 series BMW. I bought the car for cheap off an uncle of my partner as a car just to run around in, but it was in surprisingly good mechanical condition and great to drive, so decided i'm going to keep it a while and throw some decent sounds in there. Plan initially was just a decent stereo and speakers plus a sub. That was until i started reading forums like this one lol.

Now i well and trully have the bug, and plan on developing and upgrading the install ready for competing in EMMA UK next year. I did an entry event last month and that gave me a good idea of what i need to improve. My budget is very very limited, and so it will stay fairly simple, and also practical.

This is kit list as it stands at the moment:

Pioneer MEH-9100R Minidisc h/u with 6 disc changer
Diamond Audio M661 6" 2 way components, mids mounted in custom kicks, tweeters in top of dash (so far)
Rockford HX2 DVC 12" sub firing through opened up ski hatch (soon to be replaced with 2 x 12" Phoenix Gold XS124 subs)
Genesis Profile 2 running fronts passively
Phoenix Gold M100 running sub (soon to be replaced as its not in good enough condition for a show install)
Kicker RCA's, cheapo fused dist blocks, 4 & 8 gauge cables etc.
I also have a PG eq232 but this will probably get sold on to free up funds.

Silent coat has been used, covering around 50% of the panels most affected by vibrations, with a layer of 6mm CCF over the top, and then the original foam and carpets replaced. Sometime in the future i will add MLV and another layer of foam. Luckily its a pretty solid car already.

Well that's basically it so far, Pics of how it stands at the moment with amp racks/trimming etc will be posted up asap before ripping it all out to start again! It was a mad rush getting it ready for the EMMA event, finishing the fab the night before so there's lots of improvements to come.

Any comments and constructive crit welcomed!

Gav.

PS. Pics to follow...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks buddy! Hopefully won't be too long before my post count is high enough to post all the pics i have so far.

Gav

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Silent coat has been used, covering around 50% of the panels most affected by vibrations, with a layer of 6mm CCF over the top, and then the original foam and carpets replaced. Sometime in the future i will add MLV and another layer of foam.

PS. Pics to follow...

So, if I am getting this right, you replaced the factory carpet and foam? What did you use? The thing with the carpet (at least USDM E34) is that the foam is nearly 2" thick and even thicker in some areas. And the carpet is backed with MLV of some sort. On my 5, the MLV backing on the carpet has begun to disintegrate. It is hard and crumbling. I want to replace the carpet in any case, but I am not sure what to do about the MLV backing. The foam is in fine shape, but I really don't know what one could replace it with even if there was an issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah i can see how that reads now lol. What i meant was, i removed everything, layed the silent coat followed by a layer of ccf, then refit the original mlv and carpets. I can't say I've had any problems with mine, maybe the climate makes a difference. In future i may lay another layer of mlv and foam. Hope that makes sense!

Gav

·
Registered
164 Posts
I thought it was perfectly clear the first time and only wishful thinking on the part of Orion525iT to interpret it that way. Sorry Orion525iT.

Orion525iT - just insert a layer of any quality MLV between OEM closed cell foam and carpet. No need to remove crumbling layer.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
ah i can see how that reads now lol. What i meant was, i removed everything, layed the silent coat followed by a layer of ccf, then refit the original mlv and carpets. I can't say I've had any problems with mine, maybe the climate makes a difference. In future i may lay another layer of mlv and foam. Hope that makes sense!

Gav
I see. Most likely a climate thing. 18 years of long summers at 90+ F and sun will do a number, even on the best materials.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see. Most likely a climate thing. 18 years of long summers at 90+ F and sun will do a number, even on the best materials.
you're not wrong there. My carpets and plastics are fine, but it does have some fading of the grey seat fabric and the rear shelf.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Time for some pictures, now i have enough posts.

I'm gonna show the basics of what i have done already, baring in mind its far from perfect and alot of it is going to be changed in the coming months.

Here's the old girl as i got her. Has some flaking paint on the rear quarter, and its in dire need of a good detail and machine polish.

Kick builds first up, made up of mdf and fibreglass filler. It did house some cerwin vega V-Max mids but one broke, so i had to modify it for the 6" Diamonds.

Sanding wasn't perfect on it but it was getting trimmed anyway.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Selection of pics from the sound deadening process. I have only done from the rear of the front seats back so far. Silent coat followed by 6mm CCF. In the future i will patch i with more CCF and a layer of MLV and more foam.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cabling, RCA's run down the centre and up through the original grommet into the boot. They will be removed at some point and braided as i get ready for next seasons competitions.

Original earth upgraded to 0 gauge.

Ground and power distribution mounted on a simple carpeted mdf panel. This is mounted in the trough behind the rear seats, which is covered by the boot carpet.

Ski hatch panel being built from mdf and trimmed in the cheap carpet used elsewhere in the build.

Amp rack being built from mdf

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just realised i haven't got as many finished pics as i thought so i will grab some more tomorrow and upload them.

Tweeters in the dash with some cheap grill cloth covering them

PG sub being tested viewed through the ski hatch

Took some measurements for the new sub box, and i should have 2.6-3.1 cubic ft for the 2 subs to share. According to the PG specs they like a big box so will see how it goes.

As always comments welcomed, more pics to come tomorrow.

Gav

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got a couple more pics, not going mad with them as it will change very soon.

Nothing else to show really, when it comes to rebuild time, i'm going to go into alot more detail, and will take alot of pics of every process. Not only to post here but also to put together a presentation log for competition use.

I think i've decided on what amps and head unit i will be using, and i'm a little closer to obtaining them budget wise. I have also decided on amp rack design more or less. Can't wait to get cracking now!

Gav

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update time: Not alot going on just yet, except a swap of head unit

Sounds pretty good, but i haven't fiddled with it too much so far. M100 and EQ232 sold last week so i will be ordering a new amp this week, and i can then start the amp rack build.

Gav

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update time:

Another piece of the puzzle ready. Currently subless, as i let my only built box go with my last Rockford, and i haven't started on a double box build for the 12's yet. Having a 10" Diamond sub collected today, so i should be able to test it out before the end of the week and at least start to decide on what subs to use. Looking at the diamond's specs (its a M3) it might work in a passive radiator build (i have two 8" radiators so should have enough cone area).

Also means i can start to plan out the new amp racks, to be honest i'm just glad i now have something to do lol.

Gav

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, seeing as though there's an influx of BMW install related updates on here as late, time to bump mine. Plans have changed somewhat over the Christmas period.

My profile sub amp has a death wish, so is going back to be replaced with a profile4 ultra which will allow me to run the HAT imagines that i now have installed up front actively. My profile2 is staying and will power a single 12" DLS W712, giving it ~240w rms. This will allow me to keep the 4 and 8 gauge cabling i currently have installed for the time being, and upgrade this at a later date.

Currently looking for some rivnuts locally, probably will be using M6, to tie down the mdf to the boot floor, and mount the amp racks into the sides of the boot area. Hopefully i will be cracking on with the amp racks in the next 2 weeks or so.

New kick panel builds i have planned should be a challenge. I will be getting the midbass as on-axis as possible buy utilizing some of the space inside the inner wing area, and fabricating a panel from fibreglass that will hopefully give a smooth transition of the baffle to the rest of the kick area. In my head i can see it, but it's hard to translate into words lol.

Well that's it, hopefully i will have some updates soon.

Gav

1 - 20 of 56 Posts