DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Kicker DXA500.1 amp in my car, and all it does is go into protect mode when I turn on the ignition. It does this even with the subwoofer and RCA input disconnected. I have double-checked all connections, and everything looks good. I am not in the car audio business or anything, but I have installed a handful of amps before and never had an issue - pretty confident I haven't done anything wrong here. I have used 4 gauge cable per Kicker recommendation, the positive and ground connections are tight, the amp is not touching the chassis, etc. The ground connection I am using is the same connection that the car battery uses. I am at this point assuming I have a defective amp. What could I be missing here?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
how did you disconnect the sub speaker wire? At the sub or at the amp? If at the sub, you might have a speaker wire touching ground someplace?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how did you disconnect the sub speaker wire? At the sub or at the amp? If at the sub, you might have a speaker wire touching ground someplace?
I disconnected it at the sub. The speaker wires are not touching anything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I ended up removing the power and ground cables from the amp and battery, swapping out the fuse (why not?), re-installing everything, and...it works!!! No idea what the issue was, as the fuse I removed looked just fine and everything else is the same.

Now my problem is figuring out how to keep the trunk lid from sounding like it is going to fly off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts