DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I swear I searched the forum first and I couldn't find anything so I registered for DIYMA and here we are!

Short story:

Disconnected subwoofer, while loose in the trunk the positive and negative subwoofer wires crossed, now (Power Acoustik) amp remains in Protect Mode, and no thump from subwoofer.

Long story:

I went to a football game and took my subwoofer out of my trunk so that we could bring tailgate stuff (ie we couldn't fit a grill, cooler, etc in the trunk with the subwoofer there).

Afterwards, I went to hook the sub up again and noticed that the positive and negative wires to the sub had crossed (they were actually stuck together) in my trunk. I'm assuming this is not a good thing. I separated the wires and hooked up the sub but I get no thump. Looking at the amp (Power Acoustik), I see that it is in "Protect Mode" (red light) as opposed to normal Power mode (green light).

I'm sure the sub wires are no longer touching now that they're hooked up to the sub, but that doesn't seem to matter in terms of getting the amp out of Protect Mode.

So I figured I'd ask the experts about some general troubleshooting before I get the amp looked at professionally. Should I try completely disconnecting my battery? Should I check the fuse on the amp's power cable? Should I try disconnecting EVERYTHING from the amp and then reconnecting everything again?

I fully admit that I'm novice at this stuff, though please believe that the lesson has been learned when it comes to leaving loose wires in the trunk :) Any insight you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated. I can provide further detail (like amp model number, etc as soon as I get home today).

Thanks so much in advance,
Greg K.

·
Registered
665 Posts
if the amplifier has an on-board fuse, check the fuses. My guess is that since you are getting a diagnostic light, the amplifier has probably taken internal damage and may need repaired or replaced.
Typically just turning the amp off, then back on would reset its protection circuitry, and the protection light is only coming back on to indicate failure. You could try disconnecting the main power wire fuse for a few minutes, but I doubt this will fix anything.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
It's toast man. If the wires were "stuck" together that took alot of heat. Your lucky it didnt catch something fire.
What model Power Acoustic? It may be worth repair but most likely the repair will cost as much as a new one.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Disconnected subwoofer, while loose in the trunk the positive and negative subwoofer wires crossed, now (Power Acoustik) amp remains in Protect Mode, and no thump from subwoofer.

Afterwards, I went to hook the sub up again and noticed that the positive and negative wires to the sub had crossed (they were actually stuck together) in my trunk.

Thanks so much in advance,
Greg K.
It is time to buy a new amplifier :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
D-Bass, Oliver, Thomas, thank you for such quick responses.

I was afraid it'd be toast. The model # is LT980/2 (nothing special, right??). This sucks, but it lasted me 5+ years so I don't mind putting down the $$ for a new one at this point (especially after being at fault for killing it).

If you guys happen to know off the top of your head a good model amp that's about $200 or under and comparable to the LT980/2, I'll definitely take your advice. (I'm just powering one 12" sub.)

In the meantime, I'm going to try D-Bass' diagnostic suggestions. Obviously, I'll be sure to let you know if I make any progress. (I didn't have the opportunity to work on this in the daylight yesterday, but I should get to today.)

Thanks again to everyone for helping me out!

-Greg

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Most likely the output fets are blown. It may be fixable, but might not be worth it to try. Have you opened the case to look at the board?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Orion,

Thanks for responding!

Just based on the original cost and the cost of seemingly comparable replacement amps, I don't think any kind of repair will be worth it. But I don't just wanna blow $200 if I don't have to, so I'm absolutely open to suggestions.

I've never opened the case on this thing but I'm not apprehensive to try. I'd just be looking for physical damage to the board to confirm that it's fried, right?

(Note to anyone reading: Per my earlier post, if I do have to replace the amp, any suggestions in the $200 range would be greatly appreciated.)

Thanks again

-Greg

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
any suggestions in the $200 range would be greatly appreciated.)

Thanks again

-Greg
Yep, check these out

Precision Power PPI P1000.1 (p10001) Monoblock Phantom Car Amplifier
JBL GTO-751EZ Monoblock GTO Series Class D Car Amplifier
Rockford Fosgate R750-1D (R7501D) 750W Monoblock Class D Car Amplifier

I'm running the JBL 751EZ right now and it has plenty of power. Plus it comes with a gain setting CD which makes it pretty easy to set up.
The main thing though is that it just works great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's up guys. Sorry I haven't followed up on this sooner. Shocker here: The amp is fried indeed. I'll be replacing it.

Thomasluke, thanks for your suggestions. The JBL is a liiil too pricey for me, so the Precision Power or Rockford Fosgate are more in my range. Question though -- if the RF is 750 watts and the PP is 1000 watts (and cheaper), then why isn't the Prec Power the obvious way to go? A brand thing?

Also, I noticed that all of your suggestions were at least 750 watts. I stopped by Best Buy with the woman today and they had this amp and I almost bought it because I've just been taking too long with the replacement. But I thought of your post and held off. Did I make a good call??: Kicker DX Series 500W Class D Digital Mono MOSFET Amplifier with LowPass Crossover DX5001 - Best Buy

It's 500 watts, which is less than your suggestions, but I've read good things about this Kicker model online tonight (not just on BB.com).

Let me know what you think!

-Greg

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Shocker here:Question though -- if the RF is 750 watts and the PP is 1000 watts (and cheaper), then why isn't the Prec Power the obvious way to go? A brand thing?

-Greg
Some Linear Power amps are rated @ 12.5 watts per channel

LINEAR POWER 2.2HV MODDED BY TIPS 600WRMS 2CH SQ AMP, ULTRA RARE, NICE!!!
Price:
US $900.00

Model RMS Power @ 4 Ohms Stereo 12.5 volts THD 20-20KHZ Mono Rating 4 Ohms ** Maximum /
Peak Power Damping Factor 4/2Ohm Channel Separation Slew Rate Volts/mSec Signal To Noise Ratio Required Fuse 2 Ohm St 4 Ohm Mono Capable Internally Bridgeable Frequency Response

2.2HV 12.5W x2 RMS 0.004% 600 Watts 1500 Watts 300/150 >72 dB >95 dB 40 Amps Yes Yes 5Hz-200kHz
** Mono Rating @ 4 Ohms is tested with the power supply taps moved to 2 Ohms setting where applicable.
Marketeering sells !
;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oliver, this is the first time I've noticed your signature and I'm afraid that's how your post makes me feel. :) No idea what you're saying. I can only guess that the Precision Power amp isn't really what it says it is?? But I'm sorry to be so novice at this.

D-Bass, I'm running one 12" Rockford Fosgate 1000 watt sub. The exact model # is escaping me but the sub is at least 5 years old. Kinda echoing my comments to Oliver, I have to admit that I'm not sure what a voice coil is and the wiki page explaining what a voice coil is looks like Chinese to me. I'd be happy to tell you but I'm not sure where to find it.

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts