DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 159 Posts

· Seen Rock City
836 Posts
Welp, there goes my plans for the CA18.

If dang is close to his target date, these may be available just as I am finishing the "procurement" phase of my next install.

YAY!!!!!

· DIYMA Founder
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
daitrong said:
i know this is a prototype and cosmetics will change ( i hope they do ) but it looks really ghettoo. Sorry, had to point out the obvious. :D
Yeah... if it's going in a door though I don't know how much more people would be willing to spend to make it look a bit nicer. The cast frame is very heavy and rigid, and the driver as a whole is very functional. Custom tooling for a nicer frame, a more exotic cone material, a nicer one piece top plate (like what you see with Brahma, Avalanche, XXX, etc.) costs alot more money.

We'll see though. Hopefully it can at least be a bit more attractive without going overboard.

· Registered
168 Posts
A few questions for you sir!

Firstly, is that really using an underhung motor?

Secondly, will you ever be making a midbass-only version, maybe something with a rubber surround/metal cone?

Third, does that dip you intended in the 150-300Hz region sap away midbass impact?

And last of all, what's the qts of that mofo?

/me waits anxiously for benchmarks against the excel

· Registered
2,595 Posts
The only thing i wonder about right now is can the plasitic panel on my door handle that kinda abuse, and how in the hell am i gonna mount that thing in there with 10-11mm xmax....... :shock: Any ideas.....Would like to stay away from modding the interior door panels.

· DIYMA Founder
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
blackreplica said:
A few questions for you sir!

Firstly, is that really using an underhung motor?

Secondly, will you ever be making a midbass-only version, maybe something with a rubber surround/metal cone?

Third, does that dip you intended in the 150-300Hz region sap away midbass impact?

And last of all, what's the qts of that mofo?

/me waits anxiously for benchmarks against the excel
It's an xbl^2 motor... no plans on a mid/bass only version with metal cone.

The dip actually cleans up the lower midrange a bit, and adds impact to the mid/bass since it's not so muddy in that region anymore.

I'll be sending the driver out for testing, so when I get the report back I will post all the curves, t/s parameters, etc.

· DIYMA Founder
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
vibrator said:
vibrator said:
very impressive! looks just fine to me. I say keep the price low, dont worry about cosmetics. Most people hide them behind grills anyway.
Do you think this driver will give the Peerless XLS 8 a run for its money in terms of bass output?
Heheh you gotta remember the Peerless XLS is an 8" driver, with a 26mm long coil! And it's nearly 4" deep :) So I'd have to say no, not even close. But on the bright side I can tell you that you won't get more bass out of a 3" depth, 7" diam. mid than this one. You also won't get that Peerless XLS to play decently past 500hz... so it's all a set of compromises.

· Registered
168 Posts
Thank you sir!

i'm still on a slow hunt for that elusive 'perfect' midbass driver. I tried checking thru your microsoft excel catalog to find out more on this XLS 8 inch everyone is talking about. It's listed on your first worksheet but when i click the name i get linked to a SEAS driver specs instead...the closest thing i could find matching the description is this Peerless HDS 8 inch, is that the XLS you're talking about? The xmax sounds yummy, where can i get more details on this unit? Didnt see anything on the d-s-t website either. I take it the peerless really excels (sic) even when IB?

· Registered
148 Posts
blackreplica said:
Thank you sir!

i'm still on a slow hunt for that elusive 'perfect' midbass driver. I tried checking thru your microsoft excel catalog to find out more on this XLS 8 inch everyone is talking about. It's listed on your first worksheet but when i click the name i get linked to a SEAS driver specs instead...the closest thing i could find matching the description is this Peerless HDS 8 inch, is that the XLS you're talking about? The xmax sounds yummy, where can i get more details on this unit? Didnt see anything on the d-s-t website either. I take it the peerless really excels (sic) even when IB?
click here for specs or google the part # 830491

· Premium Member
59 Posts
In regards to the new speaker, to paraphrase the old adage that the three most important things in real estate are location, location, location, my vote goes to function, function, function.

Personally, cosmetics that are going to be hidden in the door don't have much value in comparison.

:D

21 - 40 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.