DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning out a new active setup for an E36 coupe on a budget. Plan is to run a Pioneer 80PRS on active for processing. Front stage will consist of a pair of Dayton RS180's in the kick panel and a pair of 3.5" coaxials (JBL GTO329) in the door for highs. I prefer for the RS180's to be crossed low (~1.6khz) and don't feel confident in relying on a tweeter to reach that low, thus the coaxial solution.

However, will there be any issues running the coaxial active? I only plan on a 5-channel amp, 2 channel for mid, 2 for high, and 1 for the 6x9's in the rear deck. This allows me to run a pseudo-3 way without needing the additional channels on an amp.

Secondly, I plan on running the rear pair of 6x9's of the single sub-woofer channel, which I think is mono. Will that be ok? I don't plan on the rear 6x9's to play 80hz and below only and do want some tapered off highs for all around fill.

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS
Amp: RF600X5
Front: Dayton RS180 & JBL GTO329 3.5" Coax
Rear Deck: JBL GTO 938 6x9

Any input is appreciated! :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No plans for a sealed box is another requirement, so it has to be rear deck mounted, free air. I also plan on crossing the rear full a bit high around 200hz. Is there a pair of 8" woofer that will work well free at that range?

·
Registered
909 Posts
That should work out fine. I have a similar set up. Look at my sig. Running the 4's as a coax and it sounds pretty dammm good

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
The rave at the store has since wore off, but the RE entry level 8's they said were great IB. That's what they used to do factory upgrades. Take a look at those.

My opinion, as I did a set-up similar to yours, cross the 3 1/2" coax's lower, a lot lower. Like at 300Hz, let the Daytons play 80Hz to 300Hz. You'll thank me later. It'll keep your stage high and image better.

·
Registered
743 Posts
coax's work quite well for what you are planning.
just be careful with how much power you feed them, the little tweeters
are easy to burn up.
done it myself a few times now. AAAAAUUURGH.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
This has been tried many times and while it can work, the xover points between midwoofer & coax will be critical due to the lack of flexibility. The rear channel (front in network) will actually have the ability to go down to 1.25khz @ -6db slope theoretically allowing it to reach down to 600hz or so though it will be down quite a bit. However, the midwoofer will be trapped in playing with a 1.25khz @ -24db slope IIRC. Would have been nice to be able to get it lower for the summed response. This is where you may begin to look at letting the amps handle xover points if possible, but will also require the deck to be in standard mode which sacrifices the sub's slopes as well. There's some work arounds, but the deck pretty much traps you with a 3-way which it was totally designed for unless you employ an outboard dsp. Good luck!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm running the 4's active, but the tweeter has a built in cap style xover glued right to the mid. It works very well, and i'm running 150 watts per channel to each mid/tweeter combo from an arc 1200.6
Using the p99rs for crossover duty

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
1. Find those magical IB kits for e36 by JL and shove a pair of 8" in there. Though you can make a similar thing on your own.
2. Make sure you have enough depth for that RS180.
3. I'm pretty sure stock opening in the door is more like 3", but I can measure it for you when I get home, I separated grill/housing from the driver.

Have you considered getting a low playing tweeter and placing it in the kick panel next to RS180?

FWIW, I ran a stock HK 5.25" mid with a stock (non HK) tweeter actively + pair of 8" in the back deck and it sounded hella good with minimal time/effort invested. Do take advantage of your larger than sedan's kick panel cavity and shove as big of a driver as you can in there. Take a look for what Mic10is has done to his e36s.

·
Registered
858 Posts
get rid of the rs180's and swap these in. really impressive midbass and they play well into tweeter territory. i had mine crossed at 5500, so you can pair them with any tweets you want. Theyre super efficient so no need to be concerned with the 8ohm.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1. Find those magical IB kits for e36 by JL and shove a pair of 8" in there. Though you can make a similar thing on your own.
3. I'm pretty sure stock opening in the door is more like 3", but I can measure it for you when I get home, I separated grill/housing from the driver.

Have you considered getting a low playing tweeter and placing it in the kick panel next to RS180?

FWIW, I ran a stock HK 5.25" mid with a stock (non HK) tweeter actively + pair of 8" in the back deck and it sounded hella good with minimal time/effort invested. Do take advantage of your larger than sedan's kick panel cavity and shove as big of a driver as you can in there. Take a look for what Mic10is has done to his e36s.

Those JL IB8's are extremely rare to come by, will most likely make something similar. Open to 8" woofer suggestions.

I've seen kick panel tweeter setups before but never dabbled with this myself. Total noob to that and have a hard time grasping the concept. I'm used to having them near dash level as instinctually that makes the most sense for me. But I do know having the kick mounted tweeters have their purpose, too. I think one is longer paths and having the highs come from the same place as the mids.

Would I still run a tweeter up high with this setup? wouldn't it sound like the vocals would come from your feet?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.