DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current setup is an Alpine cda-9853 ran to an XEC-1000, with a pair of QM130 tx drivers and the tweeters they were paired with each side powered by their own XM-5046, and a Diamond Audio D310 powered by a MS-275. The Quarts are crossed over at 80hz and the Diamond at 120, but i dont feel like i'm getting enough midbass to smoothly move away from the sub to the drivers. The sub is in a ~.75^3 ft sealed box, and the quarts are in some fiberglass kick pods that i built that are also sealed.

All in an '84 toyota extracab if this helps at all

Could i possibly port the kick pods to pull more bass out of them? or what would be a good way to put more mid bass in the system?

·
Registered
119 Posts
power, sensitivity and cone area.
Put a pair of PA 10"-12" midbasses somewhere over the car, bandpass 'em 80-400hz and check your's smile.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
are the quarts designed to run on a sealed pod or are they designed for IB? if they were designed for IB, I can see why they dont put out much midbass in a sealed pod.

can you open the back of the pod to access the door or kickpanel space?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How can i determine which they are designed for?

when we first built the pods they were really punchy, so we filled the pod qwith polyfill and it toned them down quite a bit and gave it decent bass, just not enough of it

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
look up the specs on them if you can and post em.

that would be consistant with a speaker that wants more space. the polyfill would give the effect of a bigger enclosure.

the other option is to put a larger midbass in the door for dedicated midbass duty and use the quart for midrange only.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i believe these are the specs.

sd 89.4 qcm
dm 11.7 g
vas 2.4l
cms .24 mm/N
qts .91
qes 1.02
qms 8.72

I hope this is helpful to you guys

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
with .qts that high, they are certainly intended for IB

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so if i were to place it in an infinite baffle i could get more midbass out of it?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I cant promise anything, lol. but ya, a larger enclosure (IE: door) would give them more room.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
would a true IB be better then the whole space of the door? and if so how do i go about making an infinite baffle?

Did a little playing with the crossover, and found the mid cut was half way down, on the first Q, once i brought it back up, all is well, and have exactly what i felt like was missing. Just incase i decide i want to do something more with my stereo, i will consider the info provided.

Thanks a ton guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts