DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a jl 12w3v3, 4 ohm, running in a box built to jl spec. i've been pretty happy with the sound of the box until i recently put in my ck6v's up front and finally have some lower midbass that i greatly love, it's amazing. the problem is that it's made me grow to dislike my sub, to the point that i almost enjoy listening to music with the sub turned off moreso than with the sub on.

the sub just isn't punchy. it's loud (or can be), but it doesn't hit hard and fast, if that makes sense. what are my solutions to this? it's in a 1.75ft^3 enclosure tuned to 30hz, made using the dimensions and such in the manual that came with the sub. i'm not sure if this is a sign of a box that is too small or too big, but i've seen a few people say that the jl recommended boxes are typically too small, so would going a bit bigger help? i've considered sealed, but i really don't want to lose the low end that the ported has. if it's a problem of size, i plan on rebuilding the box soon, so what would be a good size to shoot for, and same/similar tuning? and if i add some polyfill to make the enclosure seem bigger, how will that affect the tuning?

it's currently on about 150-200 watts rms, and will be moved to a kicker zx400.1 soon which will put it around 250 watts rms (single 4 ohm voice coil, the birth sheet on my zx400.1 is just under 500 watts at 2 ohms). it's crossed over at the head unit at 60hz on an 18db slope if that makes a difference.

i can model in winisd all day long and that's all fine and good for finding a "flat response" but that doesn't really help me find a design that gives me good impact. is there anything i can look at in winisd to help with what i want?

thanks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if you want more punch, then tune it higher. 30 hz is gonna play alot of low content well, but not higher end bass as loudly. tune for 35-40 hz and it will give more punch at the cost of less low end.

having a good set of midbass in the doors can fix some of that too. 6.5-8" midbass will play down to the 50hz area and give you plenty of punchy bass.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Have you played with the crossover points?

Crossover higher?

80/80
100/100

overlap
underlap

impact comes from your midbass section. That smack is all midbass.

Not saying your current sub/enclosure isn't at fault here. Just try some other things first.

Have you tried listening to it with the port sealed up? That is going to affect the roll off.

I would play with crossover points first.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Have you played with the crossover points?

Crossover higher?

80/80
100/100

overlap
underlap

impact comes from your midbass section. That smack is all midbass.

Not saying your current sub/enclosure isn't at fault here. Just try some other things first.

Have you tried listening to it with the port sealed up? That is going to affect the roll off.

I would play with crossover points first.

never seen that work very well. most ported boxes 2-2.5X bigger than a sealed box, so sealing up a ported box never has good results.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
never seen that work very well. most ported boxes 2-2.5X bigger than a sealed box, so sealing up a ported box never has good results.
All a bigger sealed box is going to do is affect power handling and lower the sub/box fs. Usually not by much over a "factory recommended" design (5-10 hertz)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you want more punch, then tune it higher. 30 hz is gonna play alot of low content well, but not higher end bass as loudly. tune for 35-40 hz and it will give more punch at the cost of less low end.

having a good set of midbass in the doors can fix some of that too. 6.5-8" midbass will play down to the 50hz area and give you plenty of punchy bass.
thanks, i'll give the crossover points a shot -- my 6.5's play pretty solidly to 50 although that really limits power handling due to physical limits. will try higher crossover points and overlap/underlap as well. i have noticed that it seems to be somewhat volume related, at higher volumes the sub seems to attack faster, not sure if it's just my ears but it's at volumes where no single set of comps up front will keep up, lol.

i'll also try sealing the port and see if i like that sound, i think the jk recommended is only .5ft^3 smaller, so not too terribly drastic.. though i suspect i will miss the low end. perhaps IB is the set up i need to go with?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Are your doors sealed and deadened? If not, I'd do that first to get some more of that midbass punch.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
midbass punch is solid, and yep, doors are sealed and deadened. i think it's a case of both the sub volume being up slightly too high to blend well, as well as some of the music just having artificial "kicks" that are well below what a real kick should be, which results in it playing on the sub only rather than having some sort of cue from the midbass, which removes some of the punch.

i've fixed the sub level volume a bit today though i'm finding that it constantly needs to be changed, especially between different genre's, to blend well. i was also finding that the punch was lost during driving but i listened some more with the car parked and saw that there is more to it than what i hear while driving, so i think it's time for some ccf and mlv treatment on my car. i do still want to toy with the box a bit, though, before i build a new one with an amp rack on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts