DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2009 mazda 6 grand touring without navigation or bose.

I have this stuff from old car.

Alpine CDA-9887 head unit
Alpine MRP-F600 channel 4 x 100 amp
Alpine MRP-M500 500 watt mono amp
MB Quart 6.5" components
IDQ 12" sub

Thing is i do not really want to swap out head units, would like to just keep the factory one installed as I like the bt hands free phone with controls for everything on the steering wheel, plus bt to my cell phone for music as well. There is an aux port for my ipod but it will not charge, so will have to wire in something to be able to keep it charged, no head unit controls for the ipod also are a little disappointing as well.

I was wondering though if off the head unit using speaker wires to input into the amps is a bad idea or not, I would like good sound quality still and not sure how that will effect that or not.

I could get a new head unit or use my current but I am not sure how that will look in the car, was thinking about purchasing the factory navigation head unit, can get em on ebay or something.

I guess its all just personal choice, but what would some of you do? I just like a nice sounding system, nothing over the top, but have decent low end and nice mids and highs.

thanks all

·
Registered
184 Posts
Same vehicle except with Bose and similar issues. I will be watching this to see what you come up with.

I plan on going with a JBL MS8 and a 3 way active setup in front, mount shallow sub to rear deck in a small enclosure and still looking at center channel options. Trying to decide on amps and such still.

Good Luck!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
A JBL MS8 would put you well on your way to a great system if you want to retain you stock unit. You could easily sell that 9887 here in the classifieds.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i agree on the IDQ. I haven't personally heard them, but just installed an IDMAX and this thing POUNDS of about 300 watts, yet can blend amazingly. I'm an ID man from here on out

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd keep all the components you have in hand, sell the 9887 and get an MS8, and then spend money on installation instead of new system components.

Most of the time you can get the sound you want from installing everything right.

IDQ is a great sub, you have two decent amps that with good, clean power will sound great. MB Quart components are decent. Proper box, MS8 tuning and deadening/install will get you what you want.

Get good quality wire, do a clean installation and get a GOOD box for your sub, deaden your doors and install everything neatly.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
What is the MS8 exactly? Pretty pricey piece of equipment.
Factory integration with

8 output channels, with a built in amplifier, that can be used optionally if you need it.
4-way active crossover
Logic 7 processing that implements surround sound for rear speaker and center channel speaker, if you have it
31 band equalizer
time alignment
automatic calibration with a microphone
lots of clever algorithms to enhance sound

There is a 200 page discussion thread about it on this web site.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just purchased a 2009 mazda 6 grand touring without navigation or bose.

I have this stuff from old car.

Alpine CDA-9887 head unit
Alpine MRP-F600 channel 4 x 100 amp
Alpine MRP-M500 500 watt mono amp
MB Quart 6.5" components
IDQ 12" sub

Thing is i do not really want to swap out head units, would like to just keep the factory one installed as I like the bt hands free phone with controls for everything on the steering wheel, plus bt to my cell phone for music as well. There is an aux port for my ipod but it will not charge, so will have to wire in something to be able to keep it charged, no head unit controls for the ipod also are a little disappointing as well.

I was wondering though if off the head unit using speaker wires to input into the amps is a bad idea or not, I would like good sound quality still and not sure how that will effect that or not.

I could get a new head unit or use my current but I am not sure how that will look in the car, was thinking about purchasing the factory navigation head unit, can get em on ebay or something.

I guess its all just personal choice, but what would some of you do? I just like a nice sounding system, nothing over the top, but have decent low end and nice mids and highs.

thanks all
I just got a mazda 3 and had similar issues with the head unit. Replacing it i was worried about ruining the aesthetic looks (single dins are ugly in many cars) aswell as losing wheel controls etc.

I ended up replacing the head unit with a double din touchscreen unit. Bluetooth, Nav, Dvd, USB ipod controls , aux , etc. adjustable button color to match the red interior color scheme aswell.

There are various adaptors depending on what brand you buy which allow you to retain wheel controls.

I dont regret my decision replacing the unit at all. Better sound, better functionality, better aesthetics. I highly recommend you look into some double din stereos. Some decent units can be had starting at around 300.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts