DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
2,490 Posts
Hello. I've seen a few more exotic builds where people have dual midranges in each A-pillar and/or dual midwoofers in each door. What's the pros and cons of doing this? I appreciate any help.
It could be more than one reason here a a couple

More cone area for a +3db gain unless they add another amp on top of that instead of splitting wattage which would then be +6db gain.

Adding the ability to add a 4 way or more front stage setup to split frequencies like I am doing in my system build. The hardest issue with this is phase and tuning the more drivers you split into the more difficult it will be to make it work correctly but it also means if you can set it up correctly it will sound most likely better as well depending on the tuner of course. When you split audio frequencies it needs less work on other things other ranges because it’s more dedicated towards for example 200hz-500hz vs 200hz - 4000k.

This is also a few other reasons such as 5.2 or 6.1 7.1 and etc. and yes I meant 5.2 as it could be the others 6.2 7.2 as examples. Each users build are dependent based on their goals.

Some other will also give some great advice as well because They will say don’t do it. It’s honestly a difficult things to achieve the more you get into more drivers more processing channels. But is could also just be someone doing a dual stereo setups running L/R on each driver vs L+R. As I said everyone has different goals.

Reactions: audiodelic

· Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
2,490 Posts
This has me curious. Besides the db level. What sq advantage is there? What’s splitting the frequency up on the mids help do? Are they the same mid drivers?
It’s easier to hear than actually explain and believe because hearing or seeing is believing but
Splitting frequencies helps with different things between details and vocals specifically it’s almost impossible to have a fuller vocal with being crystal clear. It obtainable in a 3way sure but it also comes with disadvantages. Think about it this way. Let’s make an example on a freq this is only an example.

Vocals 200hz-500hz supposedly is what it says online ok well you can’t have it sound clear and fuller at the same time without a sacrifice somewhere running dual midrange one for the same hz for clear vocals while one projects. Fuller sound is what I mean same goes for details you get a louder output In General with the less frequencies you deal with also. That’s an example you could go that route or a different route like for example 200hz-1k then the second set from 1k-8 or 10k or to 6k driver depends as well as your goals.

· Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
2,490 Posts
I kinda figured it would be more output. I had no idea about all the other stuff you mentioned. That sounds like a huge pain in the butt.
Risk vs reward same as buying stocks higher risk higher reward.

· Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
2,490 Posts
What about the midwoofers? Would you split their frequencies, too or just have duals for more output?
Output would be better off I’m not gonna tell you that you can’t do it splitting midbass or midwoofers but it’s gonna be a pain in the butt it’s already difficult to do with midrange to get the right blend and phase isnt as easy as it sounds. To each his own if you have no problem spending hours and I means hours like totaling to more than days to dial in then sure anything is possible.

· Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Output would be better off I’m not gonna tell you that you can’t do it splitting midbass or midwoofers but it’s gonna be a pain in the butt it’s already difficult to do with midrange to get the right blend and phase isnt as easy as it sounds. To each his own if you have no problem spending hours and I means hours like totaling to more than days to dial in then sure anything is possible.
Sounds like more than I'm willing to put into it, especially for only a 'possible' result. I do appreciate the feedback, though.

· Banned
24,246 Posts
Soinds like I need to do this since I listen and sometimes demo much louder than anyone else lol
I promise that you don't. A properly chosen, installed, and tuned midrange can get very loud

· Registered
2,647 Posts
I ran multiple midbass drivers for years in one of my VWs. It was certainly louder/more authority in the midbass range. At the time I did it simply because it was easy to do in that car. I removed the map pocket on the door panels and placed a MDF board with dual 6.5s in its place. Cant speak for the mids or tweeters as I only ran a single set of each in the dash of that car.

· Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
2,490 Posts
I promise that you don't. A properly chosen, installed, and tuned midrange can get very loud
You are totally right I agree to this. I just gave them a answer they brought up in a question.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.