DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody, i recently sold my truck and replaced the system i had in there with lower line equipment that i didnt mind parting with. i just bought a 2004 accord ex sedan and was looking at installing my DLS equipment in there. i dont plan on doing anything extreme like building out my a-pillars or door panels, or flush mounting my subs IB on the rear deck (even though ive always wanted to do that). ill only be using the car for the next few months and then my parents will either buy it from me as the cheap grocery getter/run around car or itll be sold.

although i appreciate great sounding music, i dont have the time nor budget to do a world class install. what im looking at is leaving the rear speakers in just for fill. ill be replacing the door speakers up front with one of the sets of UP6i's that i have laying around and amping them with my A2 (2x85W @ 4Ω). and running my 2 RW10 subwoofers in the rear (2Ω SVC each, for a final load of 4Ω) off of my A6 (500W mono @ 4Ω). ill also be using a pioneer DEH-P8300UB for my head unit. im getting it at a good price and it also has 4V pre-outs, higher than almost all the other decks the shop im getting it from carries. i wouldve liked to get the MVH-7300 because of the 8-band eq and high V pre-outs, but its more than i really want to spend at the moment, especially on a car that i wont get to use for long, so 5 bands and a great price will suffice.

im tossing up either installing the tweeter where the factory tweeter is in the dash and having it up-firing into the windscreen, or molding it onto the sail panel. as well as keeping the midbass in the factory door location. i had clearance issues putting a R6A midbass in the doors and had to build out nearly 1.25'' to clear the window track, hopefully with the neo-motors on the UP6s, i wont run into that issue. because of the mellow nature of the DLS tweeter and UP crossover design, do you guys suggest loading it off the windscreen or would you suggest an off axis placement on the sail panels?

for the sub and amp placement, i was hoping to keep as much trunk space as possible. im tossing up the idea of placing the sub woofers on one side of the trunk, in a fiberglassed box in the recessed cavity behind the wheel well and the amplifiers on the other side.

the other option i was considering was to french in the amps on the sub box near the rear of the trunk, with the box up against the rear seats, and finish it off with a beauty panel to flush mount the subs and cover the amps. if i went that route, both subwoofers would be next to each other, im thinking right side of the trunk, and both amps would be on the left side. in theory, this would produce a better sound because the subs would be on the same plane, both horizontally and vertically, and not have the separation that you may see otherwise if they were spaced apart from each other with the amplifiers in the middle...right?

even though im looking at this as an aesthetic and practical install, i also want it to sound as good as possible given my time constraints and equipment im working with. i pick up the car, deck, wires, and all the little nick knacks that i will need to finish this by monday. any suggestions, tips, information, criticizes, whatever, you guys have. im all ears.

aloha, B.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Sorry, I stopped reading after the part you said that the car will only be around a few months. If that's really the case and the radio makes noise now, I say drive it as is and don't waste the time or effort. Of course this is only my opinion.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: putting together a honda accord

at worst, i will only have the car till february when i move to the mainland and then sell it. at best, i like the car, my family likes the car, and i ship it up when im done with the schooling im going up for. until then, id like to listen to my music the way i like it and not have it just sound blasé. so in your opinion, which options that im looking at do you think would be the better option?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bump. tldr? nobody?

cliffs: tweeter off axis on sail panels or loading off windshield? also, subwoofers glassed into corner cavity of trunk, or behind rear seat firing back finished w/ beauty panel?

more interested in tweeter placement but want to hear opinions on both.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did my install years ago with a three way up front and a set of twelves. Here is a link to the install page: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3014926/1998-honda-accord
sweet! you took some time to get your install squared away. looks great :)

Tweets in pillars
Subs behind the seats IB. Btw the rw's don't like a ton of power IB
Maybe u should get the OA's or consider a box.
I have had better results that way
ill only be running 500 total to the subs, right in their RMS rating. i didnt think of mounting the subs IB, but i did think of making them fire towards the cab in a sealed box. been tryna call the DLS rep in state but he's been hard to get in touch with. ive discussed doing an install fro some time now and he is more than willing to help advise me on what should be done...but yeah, a lot of good that is if i cant get a hold of the guy.

if it makes any difference, i was gonna do my build with birch.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I wouldn't invest much time on the vehicle if you're only going to have it for a few months. Grab some Velcro and place the tweeters in different locations, in the end it's what you like tweeters will sound different on every application.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i didnt plan on spending too much time on the build, im confident when it comes to woodworking and woodworking tools and getting better with fiberglass and bondo. i wanted to keep thigns simple and hopefully wrap things up by monday.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so this is where im at today. still got a fwe things to do to finish everything. but yeah, heres a quick little video...

http://youtu.be/b--qzdxt08w

Mr.B is my username on other forums. haha. components and amp are the same that i had in my tacoma before. and im using the same song i did in that "boredom" video. lol.

comments? questions? criticisms? fire away! ill do my best to answer whatevers asked and take into account the suggestions. especially when it comes to tuning and tweeter placement. those are the two things im really not happy with right now. and the fact that i dont have my sub amp :'-(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts