·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
729 Posts
Let me get this straight, you just asked if PVC baffles are waterproof? :lol::speechless:

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
You do understand that PVC piping is used to carry water around, don't you?

You can expect that Spectrum to chip, peel, or eventually just fall right off. Unless you use an adhesion promoter and sand it down first. Even then, why put it on in the first place?

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me get this straight, you just asked if PVC baffles are waterproof? :lol::speechless:
Yes I asked the question cause I didn't know the answer.

You do understand that PVC piping is used to carry water around, don't you?

You can expect that Spectrum to chip, peel, or eventually just fall right off. Unless you use an adhesion promoter and sand it down first. Even then, why put it on in the first place?
I knew it carried water but I did not know what other purposes it had.

What kind of time span we talking about here on them falling/peeling off? I have had it on there for a good while and nothing so far. Of course they do sit in my house.

So back to the question then why is this person selling these if there not good? So I need to do something else then besides using the ones I bought from ebay?

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
BE CAREFUL. PVC IS NOT WATERPROOF. All the houses in my neighborhood are being evacuated due to every pipe in the houses randomly bursting open. MDF is the only waterproof solution. If they made pipes out of it, my sinks would have em.

FYI.

Also, Concrete has a lot of water in it when wet. People use it in SPL cars, maybe you could ziploc (double, of course) and put it behind your mids for better rear sound wave refraction properties.

Im gonna do it in my bimmer.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes. PVC is waterproof...there's a solid answer for you.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
BE CAREFUL. PVC IS NOT WATERPROOF. All the houses in my neighborhood are being evacuated due to every pipe in the houses randomly bursting open. MDF is the only waterproof solution. If they made pipes out of it, my sinks would have em.

FYI.

Also, Concrete has a lot of water in it when wet. People use it in SPL cars, maybe you could ziploc (double, of course) and put it behind your mids for better rear sound wave refraction properties.

Im gonna do it in my bimmer.
wow dude, un-called for...

Same to you man, very un-cool....

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I make baffles like that for the Lexus IS300 guys because we have the same speaker shape. I usually just use MDF and then coat it with something so it wont absorb water. PVC will work fine but I prefer MDF.

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe you missed the reason for these responses
I said I knew it carried water b/c pcv pipes are usally round so water is inside them not on the outside duh :rolleyes:

·
Registered
636 Posts
I said I knew it carried water b/c pcv pipes are usally round so water is inside them not on the outside duh :rolleyes:
Please stop...you're only hurting yourself now...

Those plate adapters will have no issues with water. Whether the deadener you sprayed them with will chip off is a matter of how textured the adapters are and the conditions under which they were sprayed. Hopefully it sticks and is not an issue.

My advice is to just make sure that you seal them well with the door. Some weather stripping or a small amount of silicone or caulk will do fine.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I thought the purpose of this site was to ask questions and get honest responses. You guys seem to never have a problem answering the age old...this vs that question a million times...but you make this guy seem like a retard for having a genuine concern. its ****ing childish and stupid and you take the vision of what this site is all about and throw it out the window. I was told many moons ago that the only stupid question is the one not asked. not all of us have years of experience with millions of materials. a question is a question...answer it nicely or dont at all.

·
Super Moderator
2,487 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm currently using adapters from this dealer for my Ranger. They do seem pretty thin, but the material is fairly rigid, and have held up ~4 months no problem with my ID OEMs. I had to open up the prefab cutout for them beasts, but the material was easy to shape. Make sure to use some locktite on the screws and you're all set.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
Oh my. :(

OK, get a couple of these, or just one if your baffle is smaller.

Martha Stewart Everyday Utility Cutting Board - 11908811 at Kmart.com

Then trace that plastic baffle onto the new cutting board and cut with a jigsaw at a lower speed. Instant waterproof baffle.
This made me lol considering it's a $10 cutting board:laugh:
Low Monthly Payment. Click here to see what your monthly payment would be with your Sears card.A must to protect your counter when slicing and dicin ...

·
Registered
62 Posts
you will have no problems with the adapter soaking up water or anything like that. If its go to the point of flood level water it may leak (not quite sealed totally to the door because its a rigid plastic) but thats the least of your problems at that point.

see how well the second skin is holding to the plastic, chances are you will never need to worry about it flaking off too bad as its going to be in a place where little will ever touch it let alone scrape it.

Some gasket material, closed cell foam, caulk, or some goop is not a bad idea to make sure it mates up with the car sealing totally, but also could be overkill depending on what your setup will be.

So you may not know allot about PVC, who cares, i bet you know something that most people on here would have no clue about. they are usually nice, not sure why they took it too far.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts