DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try using PVC pipes to make a dash speaker pod? I want to try this but i'm not sure if the PVC material would make a poor enclosure.

I figure i can just cover it up with grill cloth.

I'm only using 3" woofers btw

·
Registered
731 Posts
Line the walls with some kind of deadening material and stuff them with fiberglass or polyfill...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
probably a dumb question, but where can i get fiberglass or polyfill?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Parts express has poly fill in 1 pound packages.... fiberglass insulation (think pink stuff) you can find in hardware stores.

·
Registered
508 Posts
you can buy polyester fiberfill in any arts/crafts/fabric store or in the crafts isle at Wally World. aka Polyester pillow stuffing. Usually about $4-$5 for a 1lb bag.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I had considered this also but 2 things bother me. First is the room for the air flow from the back of the cone. Second is that a circular enclosure seems to be a perfect setup for standing waves since all sides are equidistant. I read somewhere round enclosures were absolutely the worst shape. And many speaker manufacturers take great pains to not have any parallel surfaces in their enclosures.

Just some thoughts, someone smarter than me can comment if I am out to lunch on this.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had considered this also but 2 things bother me. First is the room for the air flow from the back of the cone. Second is that a circular enclosure seems to be a perfect setup for standing waves since all sides are equidistant. I read somewhere round enclosures were absolutely the worst shape. And many speaker manufacturers take great pains to not have any parallel surfaces in their enclosures.

Just some thoughts, someone smarter than me can comment if I am out to lunch on this.
From what i've seen in the DIY home audio world, speaker builders round-off t he back of their enclosures, kinda like how a pvc end cap is shaped. Not sure of why this is better but thats what they do...

2 things bother me. First is the room for the air flow from the back of the cone
Not sure what you mean here. Are you saying the enclosure doesnt open up/widen and that it would be like a tube?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts