DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little confused here, this PWK dude claims to be using some newly software he developed yet is still doing standard slot ported boxes and attaching a huge definition name. I'm guessing its to make people feel their $60 was worthy spent?

Forgive me if I'm wrong but this dude is preaching on some logic that seems rhetorical and people are buying this?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not familiar with PWK? Any links?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I checked out his website at PWK Designs and I'm not sure he's be end-all to enclosure design, but I admit he has some interesting ideas and some very nice craftsmanship.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I've seen a couple of his vids on YouTube. I think he's playing around with some sort of modified transmision line enclosures. Running a 5-1/4 or 6-1/2, that supposedly sounds like 2 10's or 2 12's.

·
Registered
729 Posts
he's definitely a big name, and a lot of people seem to think he's a big deal. I don't have any first-hand experience with his stuff, but I've heard many swear by his designs.

If anybody has had first-hand experience, please don't hesitate...

·
jtaudioacc
1,952 Posts
I've built two of his designs and have a third that I haven't gotten around to yet.

First one is for 2 JBL GTI 15". Ridiculously smooth, accurate and a ton more output than the ported box it replaced.

Second one is for 2 HAT Imagine 6.5" subs. More of the same, but without the output. This was for my personal vehicle and if I could have fit 4, I'd keep it.

So, my experience with his designs is good.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Transmission line and horns.. He seems to be all about the horns..

And I agree, his craftsmanship is A1!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't know much about boxes but dude sure makes them pretty and I've never heard of anything but good things about his box's results.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I've had two designs from him, one of which Pete built the box. Both designs were different in what I wanted out of them. If you are detailed in exactly what you are looking for he can deliver. :)

Here's a link to the box he built for me...

Digital Designs DD1510 Ducted HellBoy « PWK Designs

·
Registered
482 Posts
He doesn't have a Ph.D in Engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_wrath View Post
PWK does have his Engineering Doctorate and utilizes that skill to achieve sonic purity. My hat's off him!

Not sure I would argue the difference between an Engineering doctorate and\or a PHD in same. Education requirements are typically the same, the rest is semantics.

definitions: PhD means a doctorate of philosophy. That doesnt actually mean your a philosopher, its just an archaic term, everyone except Doctors of medicine are doctors of philosophy.

The term "philosophy" does not refer solely to the modern field of philosophy, but is used in a broader sense in accordance with its original Greek meaning, which is "love of wisdom". In most of Europe, all fields other than theology, law and medicine were traditionally known as philosophy.

all that said, his credentials (on paper) seem solid and his designs and builds look to be very well done.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I've built two of his designs and have a third that I haven't gotten around to yet. So, my experience with his designs is good.
Just curious. Do you submit your sub specs and what sound characteristics you're looking for, then get a blue print? What does that set you back? (if you don't mind me asking) I love trying new designs, and I've always got spare time and an abundant supply of MDF. I've seen unusual designs and tried to replecate them by guesstimating, but not knowing all the math involved, and using different drivers, usually ends in less than desirable results.

·
Registered
183 Posts
From what I understand he has a masters in acoustic engineering, and in some of his videos you can see the software he uses. It seems to be a particularly advanced enclosure modeling software that takes into account the shape and size of the car as well the position of the driver. The form you fill out asks for the model of the speaker, the model and year and style of your car, what you want out of the enclosure, and some other things. With this information he models and enclosure and anticipates the frequency response at the listeners ears. I have not used his enclosure, but his work is extremely highly regarded and he has more than the credentials to back up his work. If you have watched his videos, you don't always need a complex design, sometimes a simple sealed design is exactly what you need. If you're already spending $2000 on an audio system, whats an extra $60 to get consultation from a master of acoustics.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Regardless of his education, the fact is he produces results. Like anybody who sells something, you can't please everyone. in general the feedback i've seen from designs he's made has been very very good. I believe he designed the enclosure for Scott Buwalda's highest scoring SQ vehicle. that by itself is a pretty good endorsement. is he the "god" of enclosure design, No. but he is shown him self to be very very good at what he does.

·
Registered
957 Posts
He's not a god. I'm actually pretty sure I saw him on DIYAUDIO asking questions to one of the more advanced box builders about doing a tapped horn... He has a good knowledge of vehicle acoustics though and knows how to use akabak.. I doubt he uses some super advanced program he designed himself that can model particle collsions at the headrest (yes that's an actual claim I've heard people use)...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
If you get what you want out of it, $60 isn't bad at all. Especially if you are building it yourself. I was thinking it would be in the $100-$150, and maybe scare some people off. I'll definatly keep that in mind, for future reference.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts