DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question about setting the time alignment on the PXA-H100/X305S combo. Do you set the values as the speaker distance from the listening position? Or do you set the values as the difference from the furthest speaker away? The manual mentions both ways, so wasn't sure which was right.

For example: Say my sub is 84" away, and my front left speaker is 34". Do I set the sub at 84" and the FL at 34", or do I set the sub at 0" and the FL at 50"?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Do you set the values as the speaker distance from the listening position? Or do you set the values as the difference from the furthest speaker away?
<snip>
For example: Say my sub is 84" away, and my front left speaker is 34". Do I set the sub at 84" and the FL at 34", or do I set the sub at 0" and the FL at 50"?

Thanks!
First of all, you'll see arguments both way... TA the sub... don't TA the sub. I recall an Alpine rep on a Crutchfield forum saying not to bother TA'ing the sub.

Measure speaker distances, then add the difference of the distance to the closer speakers... The Alpine manuals are pretty clear...

<from my iXA-W407 User Manual>
The difference in distance between the front left speaker and the rear right speaker is 1.75 m (68-7/8").
Here we calculate the time correction value for the front left speaker in the diagram on the above.
Conditions:
Farthest Speaker – listening position : 2.25 m (88-9/16")
Front left speaker – listening position : 0.5 m (19-11/16")
Calculation: L = 2.25 m – 0.5 m = 1.75 m (68-7/8")
Time correction = 1.75 ÷ 343*1 × 1000 = 5.1 (ms)
*1Speed of sound: 343 m/s (765 mph) at 20°C
In other words, giving the front left speaker a time correction
<end user manual info>

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, now I feel dumb. I just set the actual distance of the speakers. This means I have it all jacked up. The odd part is that it sounds pretty good now. :) Can't wait to go play with it some more now.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Ok, now I feel dumb. I just set the actual distance of the speakers. This means I have it all jacked up. The odd part is that it sounds pretty good now. :) Can't wait to go play with it some more now.
You're not alone... I did the same thing. It wasn't until I found myself unsatisfied with the sound that I finally RTFM and discovered my error. I felt dumb as well after I realized that putting in the speaker measurements from the listening position just added a delay to all the speakers moving them further away, but still at unequal distances. I'm not positive, but I think that is the way the Audison BitOne/Ten setup works. You enter the measurements, then the BitOne figures out which is the most distant speaker then applies delay accordingly.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I switched the measurements around they way they should be, and wow, what a difference. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts