DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a PXE-H650 from a forum member here a couple of months ago and it didn't come with a speaker level harness. I was wondering if I could use the AUX input instead? I have a 2009 Honda Accord EX Sedan since I know the signal coming from the stock HU makes a difference on what connection would work best. Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I have purchased a PXE-H650 from a forum member here a couple of months ago and it didn't come with a speaker level harness. I was wondering if I could use the AUX input instead? I have a 2009 Honda Accord EX Sedan since I know the signal coming from the stock HU makes a difference on what connection would work best. Thanks for any help in advance!
Well since it is an "ex sedan" and not coupe that then means that there is no oem amp to tap into the low level balanced output going into it. The only outputs you have to work with are speaker level which is only compatible with the high level inputs of the pxe.

Too bad you do have the ex coupe which does come with the oem amp.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well since it is an "ex sedan" and not coupe that then means that there is no oem amp to tap into the low level balanced output going into it. The only outputs you have to work with are speaker level which is only compatible with the high level inputs of the pxe.

Correct. Need the speaker harness H650-0007-SPK01 for it to work. Costs $8.05+$11.95 shipping, I think.
PXE-H650 parts

However, even with Premium head unit I doubt it will work with AUX input. I have a Civic EX sedan (2012), change out the CD player with the one from EX coupe (premium), convert to RCA to AUX input, both sides' signals are messed up. Seems like the unit sums both left and right and plays them on both speakers, so I hear right side's sound from left speaker when I put balance all the way to the right, and vice versa. I can only use speaker level anyway. BTW the signal coming from the premium CD is really really flat and it sounds very good, even without H650 unit.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Correct. Need the speaker harness H650-0007-SPK01 for it to work. Costs $8.05+$11.95 shipping, I think.
PXE-H650 parts

However, even with Premium head unit I doubt it will work with AUX input. I have a Civic EX sedan (2012), change out the CD player with the one from EX coupe (premium), convert to RCA to AUX input, both sides' signals are messed up. Seems like the unit sums both left and right and plays them on both speakers, so I hear right side's sound from left speaker when I put balance all the way to the right, and vice versa. I can only use speaker level anyway. BTW the signal coming from the premium CD is really really flat and it sounds very good, even without H650 unit.
Maybe a "mercman harness" will help. :confused:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

PXE-H650 parts

Thank you guys for the response!

Maybe a "mercman harness" will help. :confused:
Can you possibly elaborate what a "mercman harness" is? I will check google also but maybe you can give me a little more detail, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
It a Honda/Acura head unit balanced output to RCA harness that plugs into the head unit output harness that would normally plug into the OEM amp. It also includes some special filtering that can help with non-OEM interfacing problems.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It a Honda/Acura head unit balanced output to RCA harness that plugs into the head unit output harness that would normally plug into the OEM amp. It also includes some special filtering that can help with non-OEM interfacing problems.
Oh okay, so it will only benefit those who have a premium system with an amplifier?

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Oh okay, so it will only benefit those who have a premium system with an amplifier?
Yeah, yours will be fine with the PXE. Only thing to maybe worry about really is the extensive sound processing that that head unit does to the signal. The PXE might not be able to restore it completely to a base signal as good (ie "anti-EQ"). Especially if you use the factory master volume control instead of the pxe's since oem processing changes depending on master volume setting and you can only correct for that one oem volume setting you calibrated the pxe at. But I would not worry TOO much about it, try it and see first.

If sucks, then you have the option of a high quality ipod or the like portable player into the AUX for SQ listening. You will have to use the master volume control of the pxe and source selector in that config though. Which is a good thing for signal to noise ratios.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, yours will be fine with the PXE. Only thing to maybe worry about really is the extensive sound processing that that head unit does to the signal. The PXE might not be able to restore it completely to a base signal as good (ie "anti-EQ"). Especially if you use the factory master volume control instead of the pxe's since oem processing changes depending on master volume setting and you can only correct for that one oem volume setting you calibrated the pxe at. But I would not worry TOO much about it, try it and see first.

If sucks, then you have the option of a high quality ipod or the like portable player into the AUX for SQ listening. You will have to use the master volume control of the pxe and source selector in that config though. Which is a good thing for signal to noise ratios.
Okay, thank you again for answering all my questions!

So far my components are as follows, please let me know what you think (I have never done an audio setup before):

-5.25" Diamond Audio D352 (Bought this way before I planned an audio setup)
-12" Polk Audio MM1240SVC Subwoofer
-Vibe Audio Litebox Stereo 4
-Alpine PXE-H650
-0 Gauge Power/Ground Wire
-12 Gauge Speaker Wire
-Streetwires 4 channel Interconnect cable
-Fiberglass Subwoofer enclosure (I will attempt this for my first time)

Any suggestions are welcome also.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Okay, thank you again for answering all my questions!

So far my components are as follows, please let me know what you think (I have never done an audio setup before):

-5.25" Diamond Audio D352 (Bought this way before I planned an audio setup)
-12" Polk Audio MM1240SVC Subwoofer
-Vibe Audio Litebox Stereo 4
-Alpine PXE-H650
-0 Gauge Power/Ground Wire
-12 Gauge Speaker Wire
-Streetwires 4 channel Interconnect cable
-Fiberglass Subwoofer enclosure (I will attempt this for my first time)

Any suggestions are welcome also.
No problem

-IMO 5.25 in the doors are under sized. They'll work, you'll just have compromised output/midbass output but your "off axis response should be slightly better allowing for better tweeter to woofer integration (not much though). IOW, I haven't seen any 5.25 install that didn't absolutely require it due to install restraints. Cone surface area and the increased linear excursion from a slightly bigger driver (ie 7") increases potential exponentially.

-0 gauge is serious over kill will won't benefit you any unless you are planning for the future, which then would save you tons of time and work.

These thread might help also.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/98828-2010-honda-accord-coupe-install.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/how-articles-provided-our-members/50129-imprint-tuning-hints-tips.html

Oh and removing the rear speakers will allow much more bass to come into the cabin. IIRC 6dB or the equivalent of adding another sub and doubling the power.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would say unless you are like me who is willing to switch out a radio and make a harness, then stay with H650. I am NOT satisfy with H650 with Honda's amplified radio (non-premium) at all. The response is just so bad. The pictures are for comparison purpose and is not related to Accord's radio.

Not trying to discourage you, but some radios work better than the other. The Civic's radio is just too bad to work on. Used to have a 07 Accord before and it was much better when using with H650--Not perfect, but much better. You should try and see if it works out for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem

-IMO 5.25 in the doors are under sized. They'll work, you'll just have compromised output/midbass output but your "off axis response should be slightly better allowing for better tweeter to woofer integration (not much though). IOW, I haven't seen any 5.25 install that didn't absolutely require it due to install restraints. Cone surface area and the increased linear excursion from a slightly bigger driver (ie 7") increases potential exponentially.

-0 gauge is serious over kill will won't benefit you any unless you are planning for the future, which then would save you tons of time and work.

These thread might help also.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/98828-2010-honda-accord-coupe-install.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/how-articles-provided-our-members/50129-imprint-tuning-hints-tips.html

Oh and removing the rear speakers will allow much more bass to come into the cabin. IIRC 6dB or the equivalent of adding another sub and doubling the power.
I may install a better component set in the future that is 6.5", but right now I am just working with what I have. When I bought the component set, I didn't do as much research as I am doing now.

As for the 0 gauge, I know it was overkill but might as well prepared for a hobby that may continuously grow and wanting more...lol

Thanks for the links, I have been watching the Accord Coupe Build closely and reading up on the H650 quite extensively. I am deciding if I want to keep my rear speakers functional for rear passengers or not. I was planning to run just the front wires to the input on the H650 then use Y-cables to make 4 channels.

I would say unless you are like me who is willing to switch out a radio and make a harness, then stay with H650. I am NOT satisfy with H650 with Honda's amplified radio (non-premium) at all. The response is just so bad. The pictures are for comparison purpose and is not related to Accord's radio.

Not trying to discourage you, but some radios work better than the other. The Civic's radio is just too bad to work on. Used to have a 07 Accord before and it was much better when using with H650--Not perfect, but much better. You should try and see if it works out for you.
I don't really want to switch out my stock HU as my goal is to keep the car as stock looking as possible. It will probably be suffice for my needs but I guess after the install, I will decide what route to take.

I appreciate the visuals though, I will hopefully report back and hopefully it improves the SQ. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts