DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the Alpine PXE-H650 with a Symphony II+ in a B7 Audi A4? I currently have the Bose and one minute its real boomy, the next no bass, with the volume up it's just noisy.

I am tempted to upgrade the head unit to the RNS-E, but other than the OEM aspect of it, I don't see any advantage to paying $1000+ for it, when I can pick up any other aftermarket double DIN that does more for less, not to mention with the RNS-E I would still be limited in how good it sounds. Problem is I don't know that I want (much less need) a double DIN, I have a portable navigation system (and can read a map) and can't ever see myself wanting to watch a movie in the car (although I did see a DVA-9965 for a decent price on eBay). But, I also don't know if an aftermarket single DIN will stick out like a sore thumb in the dash.

So, has anyone used a PXE-H650 in an Audi A4? any pictures of a single DIN aftermarket installed in a B7 A4?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i'd be very surprised if you get a response to your specific request of an H650 in an A4 as not too many people seem to have used the H650. I've just got one, but i haven't installed it in the car yet, it's actually hooked up to my home hi-fi, i've spent a few days playing with it, something i'd advise as there are lots of ways to influence the tuning it does.
Anyway, my impression is that it has significantly improved the staging of my home setup, which isn't exactly a budget one and i can't wait to get it in the car.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'd be very surprised if you get a response to your specific request of an H650 in an A4 as not too many people seem to have used the H650.
I think most people are using the H701, the drawback I see with that is that I would then also need the C701 to control it. Not to mention I think the H701 is going to be overkill for what I need.

Hopefully some other A4 owners will find this thread and comment on any system they have installed, I am not against replacing the OEM head unit with an aftermarket one, just not sure I can justify the cost of a double DIN and am fairly sure I will not like how a single DIN looks.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
ehh...do a search for the imprint software and the CDA 9887 that uses the same software.There are tricks that will fix your problem right up.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
and I think your car requires a complete rewire which is what any of us would do anyway. You don't mention speakers or any other equipment. The Bose is kinda terrible, IMO. If you want a deckthat IMHO matches the Audi most perfectly, it would be that of a Nakamichi....what transmission, praetell, is in your Audi...I'm curious;)

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
I'm sorry...I just googled the RNS-E and I think that we need to discuss what it is that you want...your goals. Why would you do that when you could get a decent DD for less. I've not even heard of OEM's selling AFTERMARKET OEM CRAP!!!!

To summarize, what are your goals because ours may dramatically differ from yours.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've got a B5, so I don't have the double DIN in the dash.

I'm running an Alpine 9887 to a JL Audio 300/2 and a JL Audio 500/1. Speakers are Dynaudio 220 set up front and JL Audio 12W3v3 in a JL Audio box in the trunk.

Pretty awesome and one of these days, I'm going active with another 300/2.

I'd stick with the double DIN to a processor and work it from there. The interior is very easy to work with...

Good luck.

naiku said:
Hopefully some other A4 owners will find this thread and comment on any system they have installed, I am not against replacing the OEM head unit with an aftermarket one, just not sure I can justify the cost of a double DIN and am fairly sure I will not like how a single DIN looks.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AWC said:
You don't mention speakers or any other equipment. The Bose is kinda terrible, IMO. If you want a deckthat IMHO matches the Audi most perfectly, it would be that of a Nakamichi....what transmission, praetell, is in your Audi...I'm curious
I agree, the Bose is pretty terrible, and I do want to eventually replace all of it. At the moment I am just trying to see if anyone had used a processor with the OEM headunit in an A4. A Nakamichi would be nice, but I think in my original post I put that I don't know if I will like how a single DIN looks in my dash (although if any were going to look good, the Nakamichi would be the one to do it since it does not have flashy lights). Oh, and my Audi has the tiptronic, I wanted an Avant, and it was hard enough to find an Avant, finding a 6sp Avant would have been extremely difficult.

I'm sorry...I just googled the RNS-E and I think that we need to discuss what it is that you want...your goals. Why would you do that when you could get a decent DD for less. I've not even heard of OEM's selling AFTERMARKET OEM CRAP!!!!

To summarize, what are your goals because ours may dramatically differ from yours.
Check my first post again about the RNS-E... "I don't see any advantage to paying $1000+ for it, when I can pick up any other aftermarket double DIN that does more for less, not to mention with the RNS-E I would still be limited in how good it sounds" so if I was going DD it would not be with the RNS-E.

What I want is good SQ, and for it to be a stealth type install. I would like to keep the factory head unit I have if possible, I can't really justify spending the money on a DD unit, when I already have a portable nav and am never going to watch a movie in the car, and I feel like putting a single din in the double din space will look out of place (not completely ruling it out, just saying I don't know that I will like how it looks). Hence my question about anyone using a processor with an OEM Audi head unit.

I will most likely either disconnect the rear speakers entirely, or leave them running off the HU, and want to upgrade the front speakers to some components (preferably active) and put a sealed 10" sub (I already have an eD 11kv.2) in the trunk, with any additional sound proofing where appropriate. That's all, nothing all that flashy, just a simple system that will hopefully sound good.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
I saw your first post and they look fine:)

So...you're using Bose. The H 650 will correct and frequency issues, mechanical, clipping, phasing and more...so even the H 650 thinks theBose sux:)

LOL, you'll find most of us just love spending money on a good deck so its hard to get other advice than that. Though I don't think the real issue, at this point, is the head unit but probably amplification and speakers. If youalready have the 650 and plan to do these things then I don't see why you need to worry yet. The clipping and paper speakers are probably hard for even audysey to correct.

Now I realized what you wrote in the first post but you have to understand my astonishment of even knowing that OEM head unit existed. Quite the tone, though, ehh?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So...you're using Bose. The H 650 will correct and frequency issues, mechanical, clipping, phasing and more...so even the H 650 thinks theBose sux:)
Does anyone outside of car manufacturers think the Bose does not suck? In the Audi it's either horribly boomy, or there is no bass at all, and there is not that many noticeable high notes either.

AWC said:
LOL, you'll find most of us just love spending money on a good deck so its hard to get other advice than that. Though I don't think the real issue, at this point, is the head unit but probably amplification and speakers. If youalready have the 650 and plan to do these things then I don't see why you need to worry yet.
I don't have the 650 yet, at this point I am just trying to get a plan before I start spending any money. If it were not for trying to keep on a budget, I would be fairly certain to buy an aftermarket DD, but it's hard to justify the cost to myself (let alone the justify it to my wife!)

AWC said:
Now I realized what you wrote in the first post but you have to understand my astonishment of even knowing that OEM head unit existed.
I agree, I know that the RNS-E is the unit Audi puts in when you install nav from the factory, and that you can pick them up on eBay etc as a retro fit, but I just can't get my head around paying that much for it knowing there are far better solutions out there. Especially since an aftermarket DD looks just as OEM as the RNS-E.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts