DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Months ago i bought a 1972 Ford Torino station wagon (very rare) that has this odd cargo bin in the trunk. It's essentially a huge box like a spare tire bin, but just for putting crap in. It's a big box, huge. Its at least 3'x2' and 2' deep. This vehicle i use for hauling gear in to clubs and gigs and am NOT trying to get some killer system in but found this subwoofer on ebay shipped for around $150 and got REALLY tempted.

The Stats (notice the FREAKIN AWESOME sensitivity)

PYLE PDW21250 21'' Performance Optimized High Power Subwoofer
Details

* 21'' High Power Subwoofer
* 8 Ohm Impedance
* 1000W RMS/2000W Peak Power
* 22 Hz Resonance
* Frequency Response: 22 Hz - 4K Hz
* Sensitivity: [email protected]: 107 dB
* Magnet Weight: 350 Oz
* 4'' Aluminum Voice Coil
* Diameter: 21.8''
* Mounting Depth: 10.2''
* Die-Cast Aluminum Frame LJD
* Brand new & Factory sealed.

So what do you thin? Would this be a waste of money? I'm not sure what i'm looking for besides saying, check it out...i have a 21" sub... and then having it be freakin loud.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Hey everyone. Months ago i bought a 1972 Ford Torino station wagon (very rare) that has this odd cargo bin in the trunk. It's essentially a huge box like a spare tire bin, but just for putting crap in. It's a big box, huge. Its at least 3'x2' and 2' deep. This vehicle i use for hauling gear in to clubs and gigs and am NOT trying to get some killer system in but found this subwoofer on ebay shipped for around $150 and got REALLY tempted.

The Stats (notice the FREAKIN AWESOME sensitivity)

PYLE PDW21250 21'' Performance Optimized High Power Subwoofer
Details

* 21'' High Power Subwoofer
* 8 Ohm Impedance
* 1000W RMS/2000W Peak Power
* 22 Hz Resonance
* Frequency Response: 22 Hz - 4K Hz
* Sensitivity: [email protected]: 107 dB
* Magnet Weight: 350 Oz
* 4'' Aluminum Voice Coil
* Diameter: 21.8''
* Mounting Depth: 10.2''
* Die-Cast Aluminum Frame LJD
* Brand new & Factory sealed.

So what do you thin? Would this be a waste of money? I'm not sure what i'm looking for besides saying, check it out...i have a 21" sub... and then having it be freakin loud.

FUN!! That's what I have to say. If you can make it fit, by all means go for it. I'm a little more acceptable of Pyle Pro stuff than Pyle car audio. Still on the bottom end of things, but it's a 21" driver. Who really cares?

It is a pro audio driver, hence the sensitivity and an Fs that supports that for a 21" driver.

That would be one hell of a fun project for sure.

·
Registered
421 Posts
That would even make a killer two-way. Couple it with a horn.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I'd like to see that install. I am always fascinated by large drivers.

Large drivers to me are like top palet peanut butter for dogs.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would even make a killer two-way. Couple it with a horn.
Honestly i know NOTHING about horns...please explan your idea more...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Honestly i know NOTHING about horns...please explan your idea more...
They're just real efficient. With that wide bandwidth of your 21 incher, you could cross over to a tweeter and easily make a nice two-way. The horn came immediately to mind because of the sensitivity of the woofer. I've never thought about needing to reduce gain to a subwoofer to match a tweeter until now.

But you'll need two sets unless you just want one damn loud monophonic speaker! :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so you mean just a set of horn tweeters, not building some horn contraption for this sub! My torino is stock mono stereo with one speaker in the middle of the dash. Maybe ill keep the mono thing alive!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Dayton 18" classic is cheaper and should sound good in 6 cubes sealed off
of only 300-400w in a car.

Parts Express:Dayton DCS450-4 18" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Yeah that's a good call...but it's NOT a 21"er, that's the problem! Really im just trying to go all out ridiculous with an all out ridiculous car ya know? But in reality there is a HUGE difference between an 18" and a 21" sub. Im not wanting to calculate volume and all that but an 18" sub has approx 254 sq.in. of max moving surface area, while a 21" has 346 max.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have seen those on Ebay. Been tempted to buy one. BUT, I would rather you buy one, and let me know how it sounds. Go for it. With 21-inches, it should sound loud. If you do buy one, keep me updated on how it sounds...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd never buy one...doubt it handles anywhere near the rated power..its Pyle. Junk crap.

Unless you can get the t/s parameters I wouldn't bother with it...in a car it probably needs a huge enclosure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd never buy one...doubt it handles anywhere near the rated power..its Pyle. Junk crap.

Unless you can get the t/s parameters I wouldn't bother with it...in a car it probably needs a huge enclosure.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Agh. Brand Bias...this forum is great because of the general LACK of biased opinions towards odd brands IMHO. I would agree that lots of Pyle's stuff is complete crap, but generalizing a brands complete existence as crap is a little lame. Compared to many of their other subs, this one looks to have MUCH better build quality, thier pro audio line is very very different than their car audio lines. Notice the lack of bling and a good thick basket instead of a tiny stamped one.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Do it!

And holy hell, 107db. That's as sensitive as a HLCD :eek:

My 15's are only 97db sensitive!

DO IT! And invite me over so I can hear it :D

(Just don't expect me to go anywhere near your PT Loser) ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
There's $150 worth of grins in that sub for sure. I'm halfway tempted to build a box and put one in the back of my Tercel just to take it to a car show. No matter how it sounds, it'd sure make some jaws drop.

BTW, the 72 Torino is a cool choice. I had a 72 Ranchero GT several years ago, and it was a blast. Which engine does your wagon have in it?

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts

Plus, good luck finding 1,000 watts RMS @ 8 ohms.

·
Registered
130 Posts
LOL! to the post above. That was pretty quick finding an amp that will post at least 1000w in an 8ohm mono load. AND! IT'S CHEAP! Shoot, for under 300.00, you will have your 21" sub! This is great!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts