DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you guys want some killer IB subs for UTTER cheap, check out the pyle pro PPA12 or preferably the PPA15:

Amazon.com: PYLE PPA-12 Professional Premium Pa Woofer: Electronics

or

Amazon.com: Pyle PPA-15 Professional Premium Pa Woofer: Electronics

With cabin gain and a well sealed trunk youll get great response into the 20s and beyond. Ive personally tried a single PPA15 in open baffle (H-baffle) at home as a subwoofer and it was good for a low output solution. If you use the 12s in a trunk around 12-14cu.ft. you may want to add some mass to the cone as the power handling may not be adequate for louder applications...

Plan on giving a pair around 300rms, more if you don't plan on taking them below 30hz. So a nice cheap little two channel bridged would do the trick nicely :)

You can find the specs on parts express, but the price is way better on amazon with free shipping :cool:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One dollar price difference, Ill shop at amazon :D

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you used either driver in an IB auto setup? The price on these are very good.
Nope but I have used them in home open baffle. Essentially the top profile looks like an "H" with the driver mounted in the center. Never took pictures for some reason, I plan on using four for my next home project.

The drivers are great for IB because they have a relatively low FS (26hz, might make for a slightly emphasized low end after cabin gain), a QTS of 0.67 and a low moving mass.

If you can fit the 15s go that route instead. Modeling them up on bass box pro they handle the power much better than the 12s (mechanically). I still haven't decided whether I want to do 2 15s or 2 10 inch exodus open baffle drivers...

They wont have thundering output, but they should be fine for mid-level woofers as long as you don't blare rap all the time...

for 35 bucks a piece, you can't go wrong ;)

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Nope but I have used them in home open baffle. Essentially the top profile looks like an "H" with the driver mounted in the center. Never took pictures for some reason, I plan on using four for my next home project.

The drivers are great for IB because they have a relatively low FS (26hz, might make for a slightly emphasized low end after cabin gain), a QTS of 0.67 and a low moving mass.

If you can fit the 15s go that route instead. Modeling them up on bass box pro they handle the power much better than the 12s (mechanically). I still haven't decided whether I want to do 2 15s or 2 10 inch exodus open baffle drivers...

They wont have thundering output, but they should be fine for mid-level woofers as long as you don't blare rap all the time...

for 35 bucks a piece, you can't go wrong ;)
I blare rap all the time.:) I'm also considering the Exodus Audio DPL 15 drivers. For the price, I could still buy (3) 15's to get that additional output.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I blare rap all the time.:) I'm also considering the Exodus Audio DPL 15 drivers. For the price, I could still buy (3) 15's to get that additional output.
You can try it but Im not promising anything :D

If you can fit 3 of them, you may have enough output...thats a lot of area any way you slice it. for 100 bucks shipped :eek:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a little update. I found two 15s used for 60 for the pair. Guy really wants to sell them so I figured I would help a fellow diyaudio.com member out (even though I don't need them).

Ill look at my options and see if I can put them in my car. Otherwise Ill post a thread in the home forum when Im running them open baffle :D

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Just a little update. I found two 15s used for 60 for the pair. Guy really wants to sell them so I figured I would help a fellow diyaudio.com member out (even though I don't need them).

Ill look at my options and see if I can put them in my car. Otherwise Ill post a thread in the home forum when Im running them open baffle :D

Cheers!
You really have me interested in these subs. Could I PM you to discuss this setup further?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You really have me interested in these subs. Could I PM you to discuss this setup further?
Of course!

Ill update this thread with my personal pictures of the drivers and my impressions on build quality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts