DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2018 Camry that I've gradually been updating over time and I think I'm at the point where the best bang for the buck is adding a DSP. Here is the setup I currently have:

Factory Headunit (Lousy Base Toyota Entune)
LC2i (feeding the signal from the HU to the amps)
Skar Audio 4 Channel Amp (Feeding front doors/dash in parallel)
JBL One Channel Amp (Feeding the sub)
JL Subwoofer
Polk 6.5 Coaxial (Front Doors)
Kicker 3.5 (Dash)

I listen to music streaming from Spotify via Bluetooth from my phone (I know this isn't the greatest way to get quality sound but it's convenient) and I have Spotify Premium so I always use the "Very High" sound quality setting in Spotify. My system sounds good to my ears, but I'm constantly messing with my phone's EQ (basic Android EQ) and it sounds quite different depending how I get the settings. While I'm happy with the overall sound, I know there's more I can do. I don't really have the funds right now to throw 500-600 or more into changing the factory HU to something aftermarket with built in DSP and Android Auto and so forth, so I was looking into adding a DSP to my setup to give me more control over the sound quality, and really hone in on precision sound, particularly with things like the spacial management.

I'm looking at the Audison Bit Ten, as it's affordable and seems to do everything I'm looking for. But I have some questions. Would I still need to run the LC2i or would it become redundant with the Bit Ten? I don't have the bass control knob on the LC2i (but thought about getting it so I can dial it down for songs that are much more bass heavy than others). My understanding is that the Bit Ten could replace the LC2i since it takes the high level outputs from the factory head unit and puts them out as RCA low level just like the LC2i does. I know the LC2i has the bass rolloff feature that corrects the factory headunit lowering the bass at higher volumes, which I did somewhat notice when using, but would the Bit Ten fix this as well or would I miss that feature without the LC2i? If I kept both, would you go from the HU to the Bit Ten and then the LC2i or the other way around?

Thanks in advance for the help. I started out as a newb but since I started doing more of this stuff myself I've realized I can figure it out and save a ton of money doing the installs and buying of the gear myself so I really like it. Also just trying to optimize the system I have without going nuts.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I would try to find a used Helix DSP Mini. Much better than the Audison unit.

The internal high level summing and input EQ will eliminate the need for the LC2i in my opinion. Not really familiar with the "bass rolloff" feature though. Kinda sounds like a loudness feature.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would try to find a used Helix DSP Mini. Much better than the Audison unit.

The internal high level summing and input EQ will eliminate the need for the LC2i in my opinion. Not really familiar with the "bass rolloff" feature though. Kinda sounds like a loudness feature.
That's cool. I can look into the Helix DSP Mini. I guess I was more asking if my thinking of how it would work and if it would replace or add to the LOC was correct. The Bass Roll off thing is essentially that in factory head units, the manufacturer will lower the bass output as the volume goes up to protect the trash factory speakers. So once you replace the speakers and get an amp, you don't need that sort of "protection" from the factory head unit that limits your bass at louder volumes. So the LC2i corrects this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looked through the audison manual and dont see any reference to a level based adjustment taking place. Just an initial input sensitivity and eq stripping. Yes, adding any DSP with high level inputs would replace your LC2i. I personally would just spend the extra and get the new radio then focus on your dsp if you still want/need improvement. Bit 10 is $300 a sony avx-8000 (for example im sure there are cheaper android auto units) is $600 for the added user experience with having android auto is worth it to me, your mileage my vary.

·
Registered
2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 M/T
281 Posts
Go with Helix DSP, the pro version has the ability to read high res and provides a solution to interface with your phone. I would stay away from Bit one, it was a good solution when it came out but that was years ago and there are better solutions out there now

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looked through the audison manual and dont see any reference to a level based adjustment taking place. Just an initial input sensitivity and eq stripping. Yes, adding any DSP with high level inputs would replace your LC2i. I personally would just spend the extra and get the new radio then focus on your dsp if you still want/need improvement. Bit 10 is $300 a sony avx-8000 (for example im sure there are cheaper android auto units) is $600 for the added user experience with having android auto is worth it to me, your mileage my vary.
Ya, I started out thinking about replacing the HU. I like the idea of Android Auto, however I still find myself controlling Spotify from my phone when I'm in my wife's car (Which has wireless AA) because it's harder to search for things or find specific stuff using AA controlled Spotify. I also know the wireless AA units are like you said, 500-600. Plus then you have to spent another 150-200 on the dash kit and the steering wheel controls and modules for keeping factory controls on the HU and such. So after it's said and done you're more like 800 or so.

That's why I started thinking about just doing a DSP. Since I am ok using my phone vs AA for now and figured it would cost a few hundred less.

But I suppose a new HU would offer improved sound without the need for a DSP because the good ones have built in processing that improves Bluetooth sound and so forth. So it might give me a cooler HU and improved sound and IF I really want to tweak it from there, I can get a DSP down the road.

So many options....and so little $$$$ lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
My main thing with android auto is having waze or g maps on the unit. I still use my phone for most everything else. Having the DSP definitely wouldn't hurt anything and will still improve the system when/if you do get around to the deck.

So the DSP whichever you go with will replace the lc2is. Tune with the software for your unit and make sure everything else is set to pass through. The amps and the headunit. Having multiple EQs set is when things get ugly. The DSP will be the brains of the operation. The head unit will just provide the source audio and a volume knob. Assuming that you are running the front with the kickers and the polks on their own channels no passive crossover between them? If the kicker in the dash is a midtweet it could be beneficial to use 6.5 woofer instead of coaxial so you can have a true tuneable active crosover over front stage.

Get everything tuned nice and flat with the DSP, then if you can score a model with bluetooth you can do you personal preference EQ on the DSP from your phone( if not, some, including the bit ten have a remote screen/control you can use for on the fly adjustments). Some you can also stream bluetooth direct to the DSP (This would honestly be my go to if not getting a radio)

·
Registered
412 Posts
regardless of what bit rate the music is coming into your phone via wifi is, what is the rate its leaving the phone via bluetooth? and at what rate can the head unit receive it via bt? whats the radio doing to the signal? id get an ldac HU step one, or plan to stream hi-res directly to the processor

1 - 9 of 9 Posts