DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 2005 Buick Century Custom. The stock batteries has the terminals of the side, not on top. Since Kinetik does not make a battery with side terminals, I was thinking about using a Optima YellowTop battery under the hood, and then wire it in parallel to a Kinetik battery in the trunk for amplifiers. I know Optima and Kinetik batteries each use different materials in their batteries, and on paper, Kinetik is much better. Is it a bad idea to use this combo, assuming they are both manufactured and purchased within a week of each other? Or do I have to pick one brand and use it entirely for batteries?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Why do you need an auxiliary battery?

If you are running less than ~1000 RMS, You could just replace your primary with a DieHard platinum series from Sears, and be done with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Why do you need an auxiliary battery?

If you are running less than ~1000 RMS, You could just replace your primary with a DieHard platinum series from Sears, and be done with it.
My current setup is the following:
HU: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895
Front Speakers: Alpine SPX-13REF
Rear Speakers: Kenwood Excelon KFC-X693
Amplifier: Hifonics Zeus ZXi80.4
Stock everything else

I am about to order 6' of blue and 6' of black KnoKonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0 AWG for Big 3. Also want to replace starter battery and add second to trunk.

In 2 months, I will have the money to install 2 RE Audio SXX 12", a Hifonics Brutus BRZ2400.1D, a custom box which will port directly into cabin via rear deck, and a 220 amp alternator made by Rush Power Systems. So yes a second battery will be needed. My local shop will be doing all the work, including designing the perfect box for it, and recommended usin a Tsunami HCAP-40, but I've been to SPL competitions and talked with people from the lowest class on up, most of them agree that capacitors are useless, go with actual batteries, Kinetik was the most popular.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Is there an answer?

If you are driving all the time, you need an alt, if you are sitting around all the time you need batteries and an alt...

The car and audio all run off the alt, until you reach it's limits, then to dip into the battery(s)

So, again, if you are driving most of the time, the need for a spare battery is little, if you have a solid alt... if you are sitting around, engine off, you need batteries to keep the system going and a battery with an isolator, to make sure you get the car going....

THEN you need a kick ass alt to re-charge all that shit....

Answer...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. Since at the present moment I have no intentions of SPL competing, a single battery will do once I get that 220 amp alternator in there... Ok, all I needed to know thank you.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Thank you. Since at the present moment I have no intentions of SPL competing, a single battery will do once I get that 220 amp alternator in there... Ok, all I needed to know thank you.
I wish more customers would see the sense in that. Good luck with your install.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts