DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm already looking to make a second, better now that I have a better idea what I'm doing, center console sub box. I made one for 1 12" just a couple weeks ago and after installing it found a few flaws in my design and build, and then got an awesome deal on 2 12" Type R's, so it's already time for a new box.

So I am wanting to work in 2 12" Alpine Type R's into this so it will need to be bigger and an odd shape more than likely. I am also considering it ported. Is it necessary for the subs to be in their own chamber sealed from the other or is it as simple as doubling the box size and port size? Since it won't be a simple box, getting the box divided evenly for the 2 subs will be quite difficult for the shape I am planning. Also, if I were to make it sealed does each one need it's own chamber or not? I'm just weighing my options here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Victor

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
They can share the same chamber or be in their own seperate. I would try to seperate them, that way you add some bracing to your enclosure.

I doubt you have enough room for a ported enclosure though, I would think sealed would be a challenge. What vehicle?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's going in place of the front center seat in a 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab. I've got a few more inches forward and back that I can go and then taller also and not use the arm rest I am currently using and easily get just shy 4 sq. ft. The spec's for the Type R call for 1-2 cu ft for a ported enclosure, so if I need to just double that for the 2 subs then great. But if it need's increased any more than that it may not work. I am wanting 1 sub to be downward firing like the one in the current box and the second one rear facing. So to make 2 seperate chambers would be quite difficult, but adding bracing wouldn't be hard at all. If I do ported, I would want a slotted port coming out over the top of the rear facing sub. The spec's for one sub call for a port 12" x 1.25" and 22" long. The top will easily be that long and if I need to lengthen the port for the second sub I was going to have it come down the front of the box also. If there is any additional info needed to help me out, let me know. Thanks

Victor

I tried posting pictures of what I currently have but it wouldn't let me.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'm not much help at modeling enclosures like some on here. :blush:

Two 12's ported right next to you is a lot of output! What's your goal with this setup, & what's the rest of your setup consist of?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this is what I came up with. It's right at 1.1 cu ft per sub. On the low end of the 1-2 cu ft Alpine recommends, but well within specs. And it is loud. I am running it off of an old reliable Kicker 1200.1 running 1200 watts rms at 1 ohm. It has one sub downward firing and one rearward firing with the port over the rear sub.

Victor

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
That's really nice!

Other than loud, how does it sound? :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts