DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say you have a midrange firing up towards the windshield. Would it not be better to use the reflected sound only and attempt to isolate the speaker's "direct sound" from the listener? Since you can't eliminate the reflections anyway, isn't it better to make use of them?

Seen lots of installations where the midrange where angled slightly towards the listener but still will send alot of sound towards the windshield causing it to reflect. Wouldn't this cause a time delay which makes your sound stage worse than actually send ALL sound towards the windshield, making the reflection your main source. It would still produce the "on-axis" response right?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Seems simpler to just reflect everything off the windshield directly at the listener. Using a larger, more directive speaker, or a couple or three smaller mids in a short line array to focus as much energy right where u want it to go, just thinking of the windshield as a mirror. Do windshields reflect all midrange frequencies equally?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
cut out the most forward portion of the dash...sink the drivers down several inches into the new cavity, aimed up at the windshieled...and build a barrier at the edge of the dash where you just cut and sunk the drivers?

...or...

build a baffle, also at the forward part of the dash, aimed at the windshield 180* from the passenger such that you don't "see" the front of the drivers?

:D

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
cut out the most forward portion of the dash...sink the drivers down several inches into the new cavity, aimed up at the windshieled...and build a barrier at the edge of the dash where you just cut and sunk the drivers?
So with your drivers sunk in a kinda tube and being omni directional, you'll already have tons of reflections even before the sound hits your windshield specially with a tweeter.........

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
maybe we could miniaturize a Bose 901 speaker into a 4 behind, one forward unit using Aura Cougar 1" full range drivers?

then we place it on the dash, where most of the reflected sound produces a spacious stereo listening environment, with the single forward driver creating the image for the stage, so "stereo everywhere" happens, just like in the home?

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
Ya know, a soundbar aimed backwards might just work.
good call!

very little fab time, maybe cut a stereo unit in half and glue ends on it then mount it on the dash, like the old surface mount car speakers.

or get a long one, for a 60" TV. Just lay that puppy on the dash, with the grill touching the windshield glass. Take a heat gun to the middle parts to bend it to the glass curvature, heck, you might even be able to sink it into the dash a bit so you retain all your field of view and it blends into the surroundings...

or you could mount it under the visors, firing straight down.

a sound bar in the car, who'da thunk it...

:)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL. This gotta be one of my early threads here. Good to see that I've learned something over the 4-5 years since I wrote that.

I think I was referring to placing the driver in an angle more than 90deg vs the listening position. Not that "all sound" would be reflected in the windshield anyways... badly phrased and somewhat stupid question to begin with ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts