DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Question about GB40's from anyone that has experience with them.

2K views 47 replies 9 participants last post by  tjk_bail 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about installing some GB40's in the upper front door panel's. (not lower door)

But, I'd only do this install, if I was confident they could be crossed over at 150hz/24slope. And
play down the 1 octive to 75hz. I'll be pushing 120watts per channel to them.

If you have experience using/tuning GB40's, would you be willing to share what you have figured out
with these speakers.

Are they a good speaker? Will they play down to 75/80hz?

What Crossover do you use, and how much power are you sending to them?

#2 ·
I've owned them... and then sold them. Didn't think they sounded that great.
The GB60 was the only AudioFrog speaker that ever impressed me. But that's just me...

200hz is kinda the low-end for the GB40 (or any 4" midrange, for that matter).
I'm sure they could play down to 150hz... but not any any volume.
75hz is out of the question.

#3 ·
They are spec'd out from 80hz to 14khz, so 75hz is not going to sound any good...

Reactions: tjk_bail
#4 · (Edited)
I am playing my GB40s in my center channel down to 110hz @ 24dB slope but, I would probably only go to 120hz in a door install.

The reason for that is because my center channel speakers aren’t getting as many watts because I have two of them mounted very close together because my vehicle computer is exactly where I wanted to mount just 1 GB40.

#7 ·
I would be installing on the door card, not the door. So the GB40 would not share air space with the DB60's in lower door.

Reactions: ItsonlyaHONDA
#5 · (Edited)
I also have the GB40 as a centre. I have mine crossed at 110hz without issue. But up on the dash will yield different results than in doors. Location will make a big difference. Mine are on 100w but I have them down like 6db vs my left and right cuz it can dominate over the GB25s. Probly due to location also.

That's my EQed responce of the centre. I remember making alot of cuts on the bottom end. I thought I had a pic of the Raw responce but I don't

Slope Rectangle Line Plot Font

I do have a pic of the EQ I used. If that's any help...🤷🏽😁

Font Material property Screenshot Number Rectangle

#8 ·
I also have the GB40 as a centre. I have mine crossed at 110hz without issue. But up on the dash will yield different results than in doors. Location will make a big difference. Mine are on 100w but I have them down like 6db vs my left and right cuz it can dominate over the GB25s. Probly due to location also.

That's my EQed responce of the centre. I remember making alot of cuts on the bottom end. I thought I had a pic if the Raw responce but I don't

View attachment 373617

I do have a pic of the EQ I used. If that's any help...🤷🏽😁

View attachment 373618

AWESOME Information Honda !! exactly what I was looking for! THANK YOU !!!!!!!

Reactions: ItsonlyaHONDA
#6 ·
I had GB40's in the OEM BMW door location (up high), running with 120w. They weren't happy until 250+ Hz LR4 at my power.

Bear I mind that with 24dB/oct LR4 slopes, the response is already -6dB at the crossover frequency. So if crossing at 150Hz, the input signal alone is going to be -30dB at 75Hz. The output will be even less in reality because the speaker will also roll off, so forget about hearing 75Hz from them.

#9 ·
I had GB40's in the OEM BMW door location (up high), running with 120w. They weren't happy until 250+ Hz LR4 at my power.

Bear I mind that with 24dB/oct LR4 slopes, the response is already -6dB at the crossover frequency. So if crossing at 150Hz, the input signal alone is going to be -30dB at 75Hz. The output will be even less in reality because the speaker will also roll off, so forget about hearing 75Hz from them.

Well that's disappointing they weren't happy until 250Hz.... I really need them to play at Crossover 150Hz, then drop off 24db for 1 oct

#15 ·
Now we are getting somewhere. I too had nulls in similar areas (63hz, 135hz and 190hz). My solution was to mount a 5.25" subwoofers in both footwells (since I want a two seat (or four) sound system that is capable of maintaining a good soundstage at concert volume levels). The subwoofers go from 50hz to 220hz.

And my GB60s are mounted 9" away from the 5.25" subwoofers and they go from 80hz to 220hz. The GB25s in pods in the doors start at 220hz - 24dB slope.

I also have a JBL Fuse behind the 2nd Row seats that cover 80hz and down. And two GB10D2s behind the 3rd seats.

Search for "cone of confusion" here on DIYMA.

#17 ·
Sounds like a nice setup...
So the 5.25 Subs are in your footwells, but where are your GB60s', in lower front doors factory location?

I'm not too interested in putting in footwell speakers...... Although what you have done would fix my problems.... and I may go that way if I have too... but for today, I'm going with the upper door solution, but I'll see what my research tells me....

#18 ·
For those running GB40's with a crossover point <200Hz and decent power, I need to ask: have you ever listened to the GB40 in isolation?

I originally tried my GB40 at a bunch of crossover points, starting from the AF recommended 110Hz (but I used LR4). They just sounded plain nasty until well over the 200Hz mark. I mean they did it, sure, but they weren't happy about it.

#20 ·
Mine are down to 110hz on 100w. But after making cuts and dropping them to match the combined output of my left and right. Who know how much power they are seeing. But at full tilt they have 0 distortion and sound really good. I just took these for @tjk_bail

Raw no filters, then 100-3k LR24db, then EQed at those same crossovers.

Slope Plot Rectangle Font Line

#23 · (Edited)
My GB40s didn’t sound very good when I first installed them because of how they were screwed down into my dashboard.

Pretty much the same thing with my GB25s in the door. I installed them using my factory Toyota steel mounts but, they didn’t sound good at high volume. I then used a thick speaker gasket material & put them in pods & they sound great now!

Pics of GB25 pods & in one picture you can see 1 of the 5.25” subwoofer but, the door is open so you can’t see how close the GB60 actually is.

White Bag Rectangle Denim Gas

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

White Camera lens Reflex camera Digital camera Clock

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automobile pedal

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Watch Flash photography Camera accessory Finger Gadget

#26 ·
My GB40s didn’t sound very good when I first installed them because of how they were screwed down into my dashboard.

Pretty much the same thing with my GB25s in the door. I installed them using my factory Toyota steel mounts but, they didn’t sound good at high volume. I then used a thick speaker gasket material & put them in pods & they sound great now!

Pics of GB25 pods & in one picture you can see 1 of the 5.25” subwoofer but, the door is open so you can’t see how close the GB60 actually is.
If your footwell 5.25's are covering 50hz to 220hz, then pairing up to your GB25's, what are you GB60's doing ??

#28 ·
Thinking I could use my Helix Input EQ and set some Shelf filters for the GB40's.....

Font Screenshot Software Electronic device Parallel

#33 ·
I searched for Cone of Confusion and got 481 results.... can you post the link your talking about here....

#37 ·
I had my sb acoustics Mnrx12 crossed at 160hz lr4 with no issues and they sounded great doing it. You could consider these for that application at the very least if they don't work for ya you only spent $120 and some fabrication and time 🤷‍♂️

#39 ·
How did you have them mounted? Did you have them in any type of enclosure? Where did you have them installed?

#43 ·
I really like the response of those 5.25... Thanks for posting !!

Its difficult to see how you have them mounted and the type of enclosure they are in... What are those 5.25's? I'd like to look the specs up on them.

#45 ·
#46 ·
Awesome information ! Thank you Jump!

Where might I find some pods for these ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.