DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there head units out there that will accept large capacity SD cards, and also play .wav format? If so, is .wav support common, or will I need to shop specifically for that feature? As for SD card capacity, how large can high end head units typically accept?

I ask because I am in the process of creating flac archives of all of my music, and I would like to go the SD card route using the raw .wav files rather than having to convert to some lossy format. My goal is perfect audio quality from the music source, but I would rather not carry around my retail CDs if I don't have to. Creating perfect CD copies would require a better burning setup than I have now, so I'm hoping the cards will solve the problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
844 Posts
My JVC double-din plays wav on the SD and USB inputs without a problem. It plays SD at least up to 4gb, even though the manual only states a limit of 2gb. I bet newer H/U's will play even larger volume cards.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
You can get an SD to USB adapter, and use pretty much any head unit that has a USB input.
.wav is pretty common.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I used an SD to USB adapter, how big of a card can I expect to be able to use?

I'm also assuming using an SD card into an adapter into a USB port will not affect audio quality at all versus the traditional method of using a retail CD?

As for .wav, I take it that support for that format is common among head units now? I ask because I only know one guy that uses SD cards, and although his headunit has direct support for SD, it will not support .wav, and he is limited to 2gb cards. It is an older head unit, though.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
It should have the same limit as whatever the head unit can handle as USB, since the adapter will read just the same as a regular thumb drive.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My JVC KD-AR8500 states it will use up to 512mb, but I've been using a 2gb with no problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts