DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you didn’t know already transistors and metal can’t touch each other from what I have been told.

Alright I’m gonna post the picture up the explain some in between each picture.

Here is the amp zapco 9.0

As you can see the transistors are using metal clips on the inside of the transistors which are not touching any metal but the actual transistors themselves with plastic sheets covering the transistors metal and heat compound between each side of the plastic into between onto the Frame.

So the back side has the had the plastic sheets which goes between the back of transistors to the metal chassis itself.

Brown Circuit component Rectangle Electronic component Audio equipment

This picture shows the inner of the transistors where the clips are touching the black part only the plastic sheet goes behind the metal side where heat compound is on both sides of the plastic sheet

Automotive tire Eyelash Automotive lighting Circuit component Gas

This is a better side angle shot of it put together in my 2nd amp so you can see the final look and

Automotive tire Coil Motor vehicle Tire Line

This is the outer side of the transistors
Where the plastic sheet

Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Automotive tire

I’m still cleaning these and polishing the metal for better connection & I know not to use anything electrical conductive.

I am gonna be using

Kryonaut Extreme
  • Thermal Conductivity: 14.2W/mk
  • Electrical Conductivity: No
  • Working Temperature: -250°C to +350°C
Kryonaut Extreme is a refined formulation of the Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut thermal paste. By decreasing the nano-aluminum particle size it allows microscopic differences in mating surfaces to be filled better and increase thermal conductivity between them.

Now onto the question

I am using this instead of cheaper white heat compound because of its high thermal conductivity. This is what I use on my cpu.

The amp get hot in general when used and I am replacing things right now I live in hot ass Texas so I want the efficiency to be as best as I can until I do my final build setup.

My question is on the black transistors where the metal clips is on it. Is it ok to put thermal paste on the black part of the transistors just trying to keep them as cool as possible that’s all I an asking if that’s ok to do

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
As long as they are all plastic , if there is metal on the backside of the transistors you will need to insulate them with the plastic (mica)

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you mean to improve conductivity from the little contact point of the metal clip to the plastic casing of the transistor which is clamping it to the heatsink, the contact point itself is so small it probably isn't going to make much difference. If you bolted a second heatsink onto the backside.... maybe?

·
Registered
839 Posts
unless you are actually shutting down this is probably unnecessary. And putting paste on the plastic will act as an insulator- not a good idea.

Anyway for the metal interface, still use the minimum amount of paste possible since the paste thermal conductivity is much worse than metal-metal. You just want to fill the tiny microscopic gaps.

Your most cost-effective way to improve thermal transfer (besides adding a fan) is probably by swapping Kapton tape in for the Mylar strips (thermal conductivity of kapton is 10x better than Mylar) but again this is probably overkill.

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unless you are actually shutting down this is probably unnecessary. And putting paste on the plastic will act as an insulator- not a good idea.

Anyway for the metal interface, still use the minimum amount of paste possible since the paste thermal conductivity is much worse than metal-metal. You just want to fill the tiny microscopic gaps.

Your most cost-effective way to improve thermal transfer (besides adding a fan) is probably by swapping Kapton tape in for the Mylar strips (thermal conductivity of kapton is 10x better than Mylar) but again this is probably overkill.
Bro it’s stock like that how is it a insulated when the plastic is stoping it from touching metal

I’ll take a pic later today and show you how it is stock. I plan on doing it the same way I just wanted to add paste on the black part is all

I’ll look into this my amp is 20 years old I’d rather not put it under more stress. I just bought this amp and I’m redoing some things on it. But I hade to clean slot of stuff on here because someone didn’t and me personally I like to keep my stuff in good shape besides the external look I could care less what it looks like on the outside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts