DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of questions about midrange drives location and aiming.

1-Dome midranges are very attractive because they don't require a substantial air space so they are easily located. On ECA it has been said that dome mids are very hard to setup because of dispersion characteristics. Is this true and does it apple to certain locations only?

2- If domes are located near the midbass in the front lower doors, is a 600-800 hz crossover an issue? Is it just critical to stay away from crossovers in this range? How should the domes be aimed?

3-I understand that the 3 inch Auras lack dynamics? Iis this an issue if they are located on the doors or is this a kick issue only? If the crossover is lets say at 600hz is there still an issue with dynamics? Also if the Auras are in the lower door how should they be aimed-generally speaking?

W

·
0 Posts
I'll offer something on the first two points.

1. Dispersion characteristics of midrange domes may be problematic for imaging (not tonality). Why might we not want wide dispersion characteristics in a car? Two reasons : first, off-axis attenuation of drivers can help combat side bias ... especially for setting up a car for imaging from both front seats (at the same time). Second, wide dispersion can aggravate reflection problems unless the reflections are understood & accomodated.

2. A crossover in the 600-800 range can work if the drivers are located close together. In my opinion it's difficult to get tonality right with a crossover located smack in the vocal midrange, but of course it can be done well with careful tuning.

Hope that helps ...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that does help. I have looked at several domes and they can all go down to 600 hzor so. How low would I have to go to not be 'smack in the middle of the vocal range'? and can domes go that low? Can you recommend a dome for this application.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If I remember correctly, the vocal range is approximately 300hz - 3khz. The only dome mids that are rumored to get near 300hz are the DLS IR3 or the ATC SM75-150.

Hope that helps.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Having tested the DLS, I would not use it below 600hz if low distortion is an issue.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The DSL domes were particular attractive because of their small size. Can anyone comment on their sound compared with LPG and Usher? Well if reasonably priced domes cannot function under 500hz and this is in the vocal range, how can domes be made to work well within a system?

Could some members give examples of systems they have heard that work well? Examples of specific speakers used, crossovers and mounting positions would help be me an understanding how to use domes. I am particularly interest in non-kick installations.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
PlanetGranite said:
npdang said:
Having tested the DLS, I would not use it below 600hz if low distortion is an issue.
Wow, really? How bad is it at the touted 315hz x/o point? I've always been curious.
Very noticeable distortion and chamber resonance to my ears. In other words, should sound just like it's mounted in a car :)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
3. The issue with dynamics is the driver's sensitivity is only rated for 80dbwm... and the voice coil doesn't handle enough power to get it extremely loud.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the responses.

Will domes wok good in the lower front doors if near the midbass? Anybody know of good links on how to use domes in a car?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
bump....as I'm contemplating on using a 2" dome like the peerless or usher close to my midbasses as well

·
Registered
531 Posts
morel does have one....the mdm-55...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Derek said:
morel does have one....the mdm-55...
harder to work with, nor have the power for them...

I got some 4ohm version peerless on their way-very low cost, low power- to see with some ductapping i can get the imaging i'm looking for...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts