DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running two amps: an MBQuart QAA4250 and an Arc Audio 4050xxk.

The MBQuart, tightly regulated, runs my mids and sub. The Arc, apparently unregulated, will run my horn tweeters.

Does this mean the loudness of my tweeters will vary depending on my car's voltage while my mids and sub will stay the same? (My car varies 12 ~ 14.5 volts.)

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I'm running two amps: an MBQuart QAA4250 and an Arc Audio 4050xxk.

The MBQuart, tightly regulated, runs my mids and sub. The Arc, apparently unregulated, will run my horn tweeters.

Does this mean the loudness of my tweeters will vary depending on my car's voltage while my mids and sub will stay the same? (My car varies 12 ~ 14.5 volts.)
No, the output of the horns will not vary with changes in input voltage with the unregulated amp. Only at maximum output would there be any potential issue, and even then, it'd show up as an increase in distortion as voltage dropped.

The way regulated amps work, they draw more current when battery voltage sags to maintain the same output power. Unregulated amps (loosely regulated actually since all amps are regulated to some degree) can produce more or less maximum output power depending on voltage input, but when operating nomally with music, you'd never know the difference.

I think regulated amps make the most sense on subwoofers where power demands are a lot higher.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts