DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok..I have come to quit a few good descisions based on listening and the advice of some forum members. This is what I have so far...

HU-alpine w505
Front-Dynaudio Esotec 362 system (3way)
AMP-ARC ks 300.4 + looking into a 125.2 or 300.2(run 300.4 to mids and tweets & 300.2 to midbass) for 3way active
looking into ARC dxe or similar for processing
SUB AMP-I have (1) ARC ks 500.1

Listening habbits include just about everything... rock, hip hop, pop, dave matthews/oar type music,

My dilema is with the subs..I don't want to knock the neighbors cieling loose or anything, I've grown out of that for the most part, but I do want to get hit in the chest once in a while. Bear in mind, this is going in a 2008 corvette, so it won't take much to fill the cabin. I was going to use either two tens or one twelve to finish the system off, but then a buddy of mine suggested 4-8's for sound quality. I know the eights won't hit anywhere near as hard, but are they a better choice for SQ???? Thanks in advance

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
If you think eight inch subwoofers can't hit hard, you are sadly mistaken. Unless you are running just 1, these 8" subwoofers would laugh at your 500 watts RMS:

ETA: I have run systems with a pair of 8s, four 8s, a single 10, a pair of 10s, four 10s, a single 12, a pair of 12s, and I have always found that multiple 8" subwoofers or a single/pair of 10" subwoofers fit best for my all around listening. I don't listen to cRap or hip-hop though, but I do listen to Rock, Metal, Drum and Bass, House, Breakbeat, Jazz, and Classical genres of music.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no problem adding more power if I need to...I was not trying to bash 8's but your response is relative..Those three 8 against 3-12 of the same sub would not hit as hard, thats all I was trying to say.. Like I said earlier, my main goal is SQ, Thanks for the advice on the all around listening, thats what I am looking for.

Other opinions on what 8inch subs to run for great SQ with good output????

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
I liked the original Kicker Solo-barics. Credence still makes them, but they are not cheap: "Credence Speakers Small Box CSS84C subwoofer" Four of those on 500 watts RMS will surprise you! I also find the JL Audio 8w7 to be impressive and two of them in the right ported enclosure will surprise you!

Then again, it is all a function of how much space you are willing to sacrifice. All too many times I find that we put so much emphasis on the subwoofer which only produces a small portion of the sound spectrum where our ears are least sensitive. I've heard the Morel Ultimo 10, and that is a great SQ sub. I even considered doing a pair of IDMAX 10s sealed in my daily beater car via homemade fiberglass "stealth" boxes. For a 12 that won't take up too much space, you could try the Stereo Integrity Mag v4 12" subwoofer. I haven't heard one yet, but from other member reviews on this forum, it appears to be a nice sub for 1 cubic foot of net sealed space.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The answer to your question is, size doesn't matter unless you are talking about the same driver. Four 8" subs are not inherently any better than a single 12". Everything depends on the driver. One very good 8" could beat a bad 15" driver etc.

One good 10" or 12" should be more than enough for a Corvette.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Having not run a multiple sub system I don't know this answer, but if you run dual subs, is one receiving a right signal and the other, the left signal?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Having not run a multiple sub system I don't know this answer, but if you run dual subs, is one receiving a right signal and the other, the left signal?
Yes if you have one wired to each channel, but theoretically they should sound the same. I plan to run stereo subs soon, however. I'll find out if there is any discernable difference.

There are a couple songs I want to hear. I'm thinking there might be a tiny difference on something like the Telarc 1812 Overture with the canon fire. The canons are left, right, and center. You would think that with stereo subs there would be more output on the central canons and less on the left and right rather than having the same summed signal for all channels.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Stereo Integrity MagV4 < search for that here and I think you'll find what you are looking for.
And for a Vette, it's probably one of your lightest weight options out there (only 20 lbs and only 5.5" deep).

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
Yes if you have one wired to each channel, but theoretically they should sound the same. I plan to run stereo subs soon, however. I'll find out if there is any discernable difference.

There are a couple songs I want to hear. I'm thinking there might be a tiny difference on something like the Telarc 1812 Overture with the canon fire. The canons are left, right, and center. You would think that with stereo subs there would be more output on the central canons and less on the left and right rather than having the same summed signal for all channels.
I've noticed a difference on songs like "One of These Days" by Pink Floyd. The intro to it contains stereo bass and some slight sub bass as the bass guitar pans from left to right:eek:

Getting back to the size issue.... A smaller sub in a properly designed enclosure will generally outperform a larger subwoofer installed in an improper enclosure every single time!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was just wondering the same thing. From reading around, the general consensus seem to be that there is no clear winner when both are designed and installed properly, and in most cases can be equivalent. I was just reading last night about someone using 4x 6" to substitute 1x 10" (or something like that), and he modeled both systems to have the same respond and output. People told him to go for 4 of the 6" just for fun, because its more unique.

So if I accept that, on paper, smaller multiple subs can be the same as 1 large one, in terms of output, then what makes them to have potentially better SQ - considering both systems are set to move the same amount of air.

And of course I have the same dilemma in my real life setup - in a 2006 Xterra, currently I have the stock rockford setup which is 1" on dash, 6x9 on front doors, and 8" sub sunder the driver seat. Best stock system i have ever heard.

I am now deciding if I want 1 DIYMA 12" in the back, or 2x peerless SLS 8" under the seats (one under driver one under passenger). I don't have the expertise to model them.

What concerns me is that, I've heard friends' professionally installed systems with subs in the back, (ok most of them are SPL orientated) but basically I never liked the sound as I could always felt the bass was out of place coming from the back - I believe that is just badly tuned and the subs don't blend well. Thats why I decide on the DIYMA 12" which is supposed to be the easiest sub to blend. I won't even talk about how much worse it sounded as a back seat passenger (although thats expected) - all I could hear was bass. The funny thing is that I do actually always have people in the back, and I'l like them to enjoy the music too. And secondly, I have always really enjoyed the feeling of that 8" sub under my seat, it gave me some direct physical vibration through my seat and spine (and my ass!). I enjoy that kick. I wonder if I'd loose that 'kick' if I turn it into a 12" in the back..... and often with lots of climbing and camping gear piled on top!

But then I'm actually going to get 2x DIYMA 12" subs because they are on sale, I never planned to install both in my xterra, but if its a good idea, i will!

So what do you guys really think? multiple 8"s or 1x 10" or 12"?

or 2 12"s! :p

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A lot of people I know are telling me to go for 1 SI MAG and call it a day..They say it will blend perfectly with good tuning, is transparent, and gets loud. I was just looking to see if there is anything else out there that would be consider the "ultimate SQ sub"..aside from the $1500 dynaudio Esotar..:D....for the $250 I will prob just buy the mag and give it a try

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a few guys have told my that in a side to side comparision, the MAG outperforms in multiple areas....What kind of deal is there on the R12

·
Registered
237 Posts
there is a brand new Zapco CW-12 Competition sub for sale on ebay for 430 bucks shipped...i would snatch that up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Genesis Audiophile 30.01 or Idmax 12.
Everlasting pure SQ subs.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
If you think eight inch subwoofers can't hit hard, you are sadly mistaken. Unless you are running just 1, these 8" subwoofers would laugh at your 500 watts RMS:

Too bad you can't build a proper box for them because DD does not know the specs of them :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
1 DIYMA 12. There's potentially a deal coming up soon on them for $100 shipped. 1 in a corvette will be more than enough.

4 8's in a vette trunk and your car is gonna look like Xzibit got to you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts